I'm Voting Republican

I want Ike 1956, Goldwater 1964, and John McCain 2000.

none of them would make it past the primaries now.

you can throw in richard nixon, too... minus watergate.

One of them made it past the primaries less than two years ago.

And no one, last of all the nominee, reads convention platforms except those who write them, and even then only to proofread before sending it them the press, after which time they are mothballed.

I think they refering to the fact McCain was a different person in 2000, which he was plus he had a spine then.

The wierdest thing is I have been watching West Wing in the mornings, and it like the molded the 2008 campaign after the final season. Today when speaking about the moderate republican candidate, they call him a straight talker.:lol:

And no one, last of all the nominee, reads convention platforms except those who write them, and even then only to proofread before sending it them the press, after which time they are mothballed.

John McCain of 2000 is not the same John McCain of 2008.

And Eisenhower's Administration reflected his platform.

How is Mac different from 2000?

Ike could have run as a Dem just as easily. Both parties courted him.

I want Ike 1956, Goldwater 1964, and John McCain 2000.

And no one, last of all the nominee, reads a convention platform except those who write it, and even then only to proofread before sending it to the press, after which time it is mothballed.

you think mccain would get past the primaries again? i don't. you could be right... but i think he's done at that level.

i disagree with you about the platform. they are telling you what they aspire to. it may not be what they can ultimately do, but it certainly is their wish list.

I wouldn't be so sure about Ike. And McCain's campaign in 2000 and 2008 was completely different. Consider the fact he was embracing and courting the endorsements of the same men who eight years previously had mudslinged him and said he had a bastard child says a lot about how different he was.

McCain had a spine in 2000, and he would have never picked Palin as a running mate then.
Of course he did not get the nomination so we have no clue what he would have done, but I doubt he would have rolled over the way he did in 2008 for the RNC.

McCain had a spine in 2000, and he would have never picked Palin as a running mate then.
Of course he did not get the nomination so we have no clue what he would have done, but I doubt he would have rolled over the way he did in 2008 for the RNC.

You never know. I mean, we all know that Sarah wasn't his first choice.

well, for one, McCain 2000 was pro choice

I remember at the beginning of this last campaign or right before it started, a reporter asked him how he would feel if his granddaughter wanted an abortion. He pretty much said it was her choice.:lol:
He also was for getting rid of Dont Ask Dont tell.

I think we call it Pro life with sense. He opposed partial birth and felt that Roe should have been overturned, but as long as it was the law of the land, he had to honor it.

I remember at the beginning of this last campaign or right before it started, a reporter asked him how he would feel if his granddaughter wanted an abortion. He pretty much said it was her choice.:lol:
He also was for getting rid of Dont Ask Dont tell.

I miss that guy.

I saw someone named McCain on the morning shows last week. He looked like the same guy, but it sure didn't sound like him.

Anyone actually look at the '56 Dem platform? It's pretty much the same thing. Except they call the Republicans pussies for not confronting the commies in a more vigorous manner. (pro-war Dems? Wow).

Basically, and no surprise, the parties were telling people what they wanted to hear. Da-yum.

The more things change and all.

Anyone actually look at the '56 Dem platform? It's pretty much the same thing. Except they call the Republicans pussies for not confronting the commies in a more vigorous manner. (pro-war Dems? Wow).

Basically, and no surprise, the parties were telling people what they wanted to hear. Da-yum.

The more things change and all.

Democratic Party Platforms: Democratic Party Platform of 1956

On nearly every point that Dogbert brought up in the '56 Repub platform, the Dems also support.

*shrug*

I think it was more in how the actually acted than in what they said.

He kept it a secret if he were. I recall dems fussing over him in those days, and that misperception would explain it.

And no one, last of all the nominee, reads a convention platform except those who write it, and even then only to proofread before sending it to the press, after which time it is mothballed.

you think mccain would get past the primaries again? i don't. you could be right... but i think he's done at that level.

i disagree with you about the platform. they are telling you what they aspire to. it may not be what they can ultimately do, but it certainly is their wish list.

I suppose he's a possibility but he's had his chance, hasn't he? He ran a weak campaign despite his reputation as a hot-head. Republicans kept waiting for the "get off my lawn" cranky old man to show up, but the meanest he ever got was in referring to BO as "that one."

Platforms are fine as a partisan wish-list, but they do not guide policy. They are written by committee and given scant attention outside the convention.

He kept it a secret if he were. I recall dems fussing over him in those days, and that misperception would explain it.

This is the culprit.

Washingtonpost.com: McCain Softens Abortion Stand

Thanks. From your link:

I'd love to see a point where it is irrelevant, and could be repealed because abortion is no longer necessary," McCain told the Chronicle in an article published Friday. "But certainly in the short term, or even the long term, I would not support repeal of Roe v. Wade, which would then force X number of women in America to [undergo] illegal and dangerous operations

This is the culprit.

Thanks. From your link:

I'd love to see a point where it is irrelevant, and could be repealed because abortion is no longer necessary," McCain told the Chronicle in an article published Friday. "But certainly in the short term, or even the long term, I would not support repeal of Roe v. Wade, which would then force X number of women in America to [undergo] illegal and dangerous operations

Like I said, pro-life with sense.

Thanks. From your link:

Like I said, pro-life with sense.

i think most of us say the goal is for abortion to be legal, readily available and unnecessary.

This is the culprit.

Sounds like he wanted it both ways. I find it more interesting that some dems preferred him to Gore, who had been pro-life in the 80s but flipped at some point.

Forum List

Back