CDZ "I’m The Scary Transgender Person The Media Warned You About"

How many?

Perspective | Homeless rates for LGBT teens are alarming, but parents can make a difference

Up to 1.6 million young people experience homelessness in the United States every year. Forty percent of them identify as LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender), according to a 2012 study conducted by the Williams Institute at UCLA Law. It’s estimated that LGBT youth represent about 7 percent of the population, which puts that 40 percent figure into heartbreaking context.

The study’s other findings are equally bleak: 46 percent of homeless LGBT youths ran away because of family rejection of their sexual orientation or gender identity; 43 percent were forced out by parents, and 32 percent faced physical, emotional or sexual abuse at home.

“There are several reasons parents reject their LGBT youth,” said Telaina Eriksen, author of “Unconditional: A Guide to Loving and Supporting Your LGBTQ Child.” “Sometimes it is based on religion; they think that their child is a sinner or that their child needs to be punished so they see ‘the error of their ways.’ They might think if they force their child to leave their home, their child may return repenting, magically somehow no longer LGBT.”

Unconditional love.

This does not mean that is WHY they were thrown out of their homes. It is well documented that transgender people have more emotional/mental issues than the normal population. It could be that they are just assholes? Maybe they steal from their parents to support a drug habit? Maybe their parents are at their wits end with these kids and don't know what to do with them anymore because they refuse to abide by the parent's rules while living in their homes?

Wow.

Wow? Is this something else you were unaware of? Do you need another link for education? :D

Witchit has been viewing filtered info on the internet for years. Ever see that SNL skit "The Bubble"? She'd move there if she could afford it.

I don't know but it seems as if people just want to believe everything they are told without delving deeper into it, like other similar psychiatric issues and how those are managed, and how mangling a person's normal healthy body parts is not really helping them at all in the long run.

My problem is that it has been made political, to further divide us, huge deal about bath rooms, if you divide the numbers of transsexuals buy the population of the US it would equal out to about 2 transgender people for every 1 million + yet it's been made into a big scary deal, am really old and Never not once have I had or heard about an incident in a bath room involving a transgender.

Children are malleable and they should not be encouraged to be gender dysmorphic.
They need parental guidance.

And when they get older, and they remain certain they are in the wrong body. How do you then proceed?
When they become adults, they can do as they see fit.

“They remain certain they are in the wrong body”....how crazy is that. A person needs to accept the cards he has been dealt in life.

And would you accept your child as they are?

Yes! Isn’t the problem that the child isn’t accepting himself as he is?

IMO, it is their minds that need treatment, not their genitals. Having your normal healthy genitals basically amputated and left sterile because you "feel" that they are wrong is not a good practice. It is not different than if we started amputating the healthy limbs of those people who feel that their limbs should not be there. I really do believe that these people are suffering from body dysmorphic disorder and it probably CAN be treated with therapy, so that they realize that they are not actually women. Another interesting thing to consider is that it seems much more rare with females than males. I wonder what the stats are on that?

Overview
Body dysmorphic disorder is a mental disorder in which you can't stop thinking about one or more perceived defects or flaws in your appearance — a flaw that, to others, is either minor or not observable. But you may feel so ashamed and anxious that you may avoid many social situations.

When you have body dysmorphic disorder, you intensely obsess over your appearance and body image, repeatedly checking the mirror, grooming or seeking reassurance, sometimes for many hours each day. Your perceived flaw and the repetitive behaviors cause you significant distress, and impact your ability to function in your daily life.

You may seek out numerous cosmetic procedures to try to "fix" your perceived flaw. Afterward, you may feel a temporary satisfaction, but often the anxiety returns and you may resume searching for a way to fix your perceived flaw.

Treatment of body dysmorphic disorder may include cognitive behavioral therapy and medication.

Symptoms
Signs and symptoms of body dysmorphic disorder include:

• Being extremely preoccupied with a perceived flaw in appearance that to others can't be seen or appears minor
  • Strong belief that you have a defect in your appearance that makes you ugly or deformed
  • Belief that others take special notice of your appearance in a negative way or mock you
  • Engaging in behaviors aimed at fixing or hiding the perceived flaw that are difficult to resist or control, such as frequently checking the mirror, grooming or skin picking
  • Attempting to hide perceived flaws with styling, makeup or clothes
  • Constantly comparing your appearance with others
  • Always seeking reassurance about your appearance from others
  • Having perfectionist tendencies
  • Seeking frequent cosmetic procedures with little satisfaction
  • Avoiding social situations
  • Being so preoccupied with appearance that it causes major distress or problems in your social life, work, school or other areas of functioning
You may obsess over one or more parts of your body. The feature that you focus on may change over time. The most common features people obsess about include:

• Face, such as nose, complexion, wrinkles, acne and other blemishes
  • Hair, such as appearance, thinning and baldness
  • Skin and vein appearance
  • Breast size
  • Muscle size and tone
  • Genitalia
Insight about body dysmorphic disorder varies. You may recognize that your beliefs about your perceived flaws may not be true, or think that they probably are true, or be absolutely convinced that they're true.

Body dysmorphic disorder typically starts in the early teenage years and it affects both males and females. An obsession that body build is too small or not muscular enough (muscle dysmorphia) occurs almost exclusively in males.

My problem is that it has been made political, to further divide us, huge deal about bath rooms, if you divide the numbers of transsexuals buy the population of the US it would equal out to about 2 transgender people for every 1 million + yet it's been made into a big scary deal, am really old and Never not once have I had or heard about an incident in a bath room involving a transgender.

True. It is quite rare actually. Why we have to hear about it all the time, I really don't know.

Children are malleable and they should not be encouraged to be gender dysmorphic.

And when they get older, and they remain certain they are in the wrong body. How do you then proceed?

“They remain certain they are in the wrong body”....how crazy is that. A person needs to accept the cards he has been dealt in life.

Yes. The child should be focusing on what kind of person he or she is. That is what really matters in the big picture. To be so obsessed with your genitals or your gender is certainly not a normal thing to experience. From the things I have read, it seems to be a symptom of a type of body dysmorphia.

Yes. The child should be focusing on what kind of person he or she is. That is what really matters in the big picture. To be so obsessed with your genitals or your gender is certainly not a normal thing to experience. From the things I have read, it seems to be a symptom of a type of body dysmorphia.

It should be treated by a Doctor

If your child seems confused about his gender, then I would suggest therapy to find out why and that you reinforce to him that he is a boy and that he is a wonderful person. Being a girl won't change that or who he is.

I assume you will carefully choose a therapist who will reinforce your perceptions?

If your child seems confused about his gender, then I would suggest therapy to find out why and that you reinforce to him that he is a boy and that he is a wonderful person. Being a girl won't change that or who he is.

I assume you will carefully choose a therapist who will reinforce your perceptions?

Well, I don't have this problem. My boy is a boy and knows he is a boy. But yes, I would suggest that a parent choose a therapist very carefully.

Well, I don't have this problem. My boy is a boy and knows he is a boy. But yes, I would suggest that a parent choose a therapist very carefully.
Lots of therapists are quacks.

Yup. That particular pendulum swings both ways, especially if one is wont to choose a "Christian" therapist.

Yup. That particular pendulum swings both ways, especially if one is wont to choose a "Christian" therapist.
Christian bash much?

I'm sure the vast majority of therapists are Christian. That is the majority religion in this country. Do you have something against Christians being therapists? What about Muslims?

I'm sure the vast majority of therapists are Christian. That is the majority religion in this country. Do you have something against Christians being therapists? What about Muslims?

Most of them don't bill themselves as Christian. With regard to Muslim, I don't want anybody basing their practice on a holy book rather than what they learned in medical school.

Christian bash much?

Having been to a Christian therapist who saw my mother next and promptly told her what was said in my session, no. It's not bashing. It's first-hand experience.

Further, when I told my pastor about the abuse, he said that was many years ago, you need to get over it and I said no. The abuse is ongoing.

He had nothing further to say and yes - he was a "Christian counselor" who parishioners went to in time of need.

Nobody should be doing counseling that does not have a basis in their education. Their faith should be secondary, and the education should still be foundational.

Christian bash much?

Having been to a Christian therapist who saw my mother next and promptly told her what was said in my session, no. It's not bashing. It's first-hand experience.

Further, when I told my pastor about the abuse, he said that was many years ago, you need to get over it and I said no. The abuse is ongoing.

He had nothing further to say and yes - he was a "Christian counselor" who parishioners went to in time of need.

Nobody should be doing counseling that does not have a basis in their education. Their faith should be secondary, and the education should still be foundational.
Sorry for your bad experience!

Most of them don't bill themselves as Christian. With regard to Muslim, I don't want anybody basing their practice on a holy book rather than what they learned in medical school.

Most therapists probably do not bring their religious beliefs into their practices, unless they are specifically billed as such a therapist, like some pastors. You think that people should NOT be able to go to their pastor if that is what they choose to do?

Christian bash much?

Your personal anecdotes in no way denigrates the entire sect of people who would consider themselves "Christians" and "therapists."

Christian bash much?

Thank you. And I will say up front that I have Christian friends who just by being themselves (loving, compassionate, understanding, empathetic) did much to undo the damage that was done.

Christian bash much?

Thank you. And I will say up front that I have Christian friends who just by being themselves (loving, compassionate, understanding, empathetic) did much to undo the damage that was done.

So then, a lot of them would and do make perfectly fine therapists.

Forum List

Back