I'm being sued

UsaPride

Mar 13, 2004
NC
I'm being sued by North Carolina for not paying state taxes in 2000. Apparently I should have paid in $4,000 but since I didn't, with penalties and interest, it's up to $7,000. The only problem is, I didn't live in NC in the year 2000, and it's up to me to prove it. Joy, oh joy!! Shouldn't THEY have to prove I lived HERE?? Why should I have to go through all the trouble of trying to find something that they feel is acceptible proof?
Think the upteen hospital bills from Illinois for IVF would do??

If you didn't live there in 2000, it's easy enough to prove. You should have copies of all of your taxes from where you did live, as well as copies of previous bills. You should also have a copy of the rental agreement you signed for wherever you were living...

Shattered said:
If you didn't live there in 2000, it's easy enough to prove. You should have copies of all of your taxes from where you did live, as well as copies of previous bills. You should also have a copy of the rental agreement you signed for wherever you were living...
Well, I only worked the first part of 2000 in Illinois. My husband traveled with his job and his main office was in Oklahoma. My husband and moms husband bought a house together and was in their names. I didn't have any bills in my name other than those hospital bills.
I do believe, though, we still have our tax info that was done in 2001. I'll have to find that.

Thanks, Shattered!

If you were married, you should still be listed on the paperwork for the house, whether or not they used your income as consideration for the mortgage loan. You should at least be on there by name, and address if nothing else (in at LEAST 6 places).

Also, run a credit check on yourself - it costs something like $30 maybe, but it's well worth it.. It more than likely would have information on there you can use, and also lets you know if maybe they have you confused with someone else (bills you have zero knowledge of, etc which are mucking up your credit rating, and automatically flagging you), or possible identity theft.

UsaPride said:
Shouldn't THEY have to prove I lived HERE?? Why should I have to go through all the trouble of trying to find something that they feel is acceptible proof?

That's the beauty of dealing with the revenue services - you're guilty until you can prove yourself innocent. Shattered's suggestion regarding your Illinois state tax return is a good one. It is possible, depending on NC tax code, that you may owe some small amount for the portion of the year that you resided there.

Just turn yourself in and plead for mercy.

Seriously, We all know the gov. can make mistakes but this one you better get
to the bottom of. Find out how it happened..Your SSI number tripped this request
to start with..I would be SURE to get that credit report to be sure someone is not
doing the old ID thief thing on you.

Thanks Shattered! I remember now having to sign something when they bought the house!
Thanks Mr. P!! Hopefully that'll do it.

Merlin1047 said:
It is possible, depending on NC tax code, that you may owe some small amount for the portion of the year that you resided there.
Thanks Merlin, I thought the same thing, "Guilty until I prove innocence"!
I moved back to NC January 6, 2001.

I had a very similar thing happen to me. All I needed was a copy of the year's w-2 from my employer, and that cleared it up....they have the state code where the income was earned.

Hope this helps.

Fmr jarhead said:
I had a very similar thing happen to me. All I needed was a copy of the year's w-2 from my employer, and that cleared it up....they have the state code where the income was earned.

Hope this helps.

That doesn't prove, however, that you didn't move and get another job. You need the actual forms you filed for the entire year, with all W-2's attached...

you can get a free copy of your credit report on like freecreditreport.com . it take a credit card number, but if you cancel before like 30 days or so, they dont charge you. i did this the other day and got a copy of mine. alot faster than waiting for the credit reporting agencies to get off their butts and send it to me. then you can jsut print it out from the site.

I'd countersue the state. Harrassment and frivolous action with malicious intent. Check the statutes on discrimination as well. If you legitimately owe on your taxes then hook em up. If not, go public and let that liberal media make your case.

But, I majored in Lost Causes at the U of HardKnox :thup:

UsaPride said:
I'm being sued by North Carolina for not paying state taxes in 2000. Apparently I should have paid in $4,000 but since I didn't, with penalties and interest, it's up to $7,000. The only problem is, I didn't live in NC in the year 2000, and it's up to me to prove it. Joy, oh joy!! Shouldn't THEY have to prove I lived HERE?? Why should I have to go through all the trouble of trying to find something that they feel is acceptible proof?
Think the upteen hospital bills from Illinois for IVF would do??

Acceptible proof would entail your rental agreement and W-2's, the Judge will simply dismiss the case and order them to stop collection on the bill. This is kind of like showing up in court with your insurance papers after getting a ticket for no insurance, it is quickly dismissed. Remember this is State taxes and not the IRS, if you don't live there they can't force you to pay taxes there.

Don't worry, it is a hassle but should be quick to solve.

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice! I really appreciate it. I know it'll help! Thanks!

Forum List

Back