IL Governor Douche Bag Struck Again - Taxing Internet Sales!!!

Not taxing online purchases is fair to your local retailers,,how?

Not sure if you learned this yet, but life isn't fair and many times so is business. If business was fair, then Chinese and Mexican workers would make as much as American workers. Our business regulation would be as loose as China's. The flat tax would work! Etc. But business is not like that. In order to stay in business businessmen need to look for advantages. Avoiding taxation is one of them!

Cook County has a 10% sales tax and 12% prepared foods sales tax. Many retailers have left Cook for neighboring Lake and Kane, where the sales tax is 7% (still pretty high). Is it FAIR that Cook County businesses pay a much higher sales tax?

You don't seem to understand the difference between local sales tax and state sales tax. I realize that at the cash register you don't care how much is local and how much is state, but if you're the governor you do.

Very true. Here is what I care about, when I purchase things in Cook County I pay 10%, when I take my family out to dinner in Cook County I pay 12%, when I go to the surrounding county's I pay 7%!

I don't blame Quinn for the Sale tax increase. I first blame Stroger, the worst Cook County Board President its Cook's history and Perwinkle, who ran NIGHT AND DAY on getting rid to the County sale tax increase. In one of her speech she stated she would get rid of it day one. Yet on day one she said she won't do it immediately and will maybe get rid of it in three years!!! Politician going back on campaign promises, say it ain't so!

. Do the out-of-state business contribute anything to Illinois, I mean really?
For this law and for this tax to APPLY, the "out-of-state" company MUST contribute something to Illinois. Meaning they have to have some operations here and workers. If they have none, which is not hard for an internet company to do (I mean move your salesmen to WS and IN and have them travel to IL, have operations move to neighboring states, like small business and corporations have been doing in response to the income and corporate tax increase) and hence have no ties and hence don't pay the tax.

So what this law did was give company's incentive to fire IL employees and shut down operations in IL!

What? That doesn't make any sense at all.
EDIT- This has something to do with It has to do with a 1992 Supreme Court ruling pertaining to remote merchants, which the states are hoping to eventually convince Congress to alter. Until then, they can only exude pressure, mainly on those retailers who have some sort of physical presence in their state — be it a warehouse or visiting salesmen with a booth at a convention.
OK, I now understand your anger.

Last edited:
. Do the out-of-state business contribute anything to Illinois, I mean really?
For this law and for this tax to APPLY, the "out-of-state" company MUST contribute something to Illinois. Meaning they have to have some operations here and workers. If they have none, which is not hard for an internet company to do (I mean move your salesmen to WS and IN and have them travel to IL, have operations move to neighboring states, like small business and corporations have been doing in response to the income and corporate tax increase) and hence have no ties and hence don't pay the tax.

So what this law did was give company's incentive to fire IL employees and shut down operations in IL!

What? That doesn't make any sense at all.
EDIT- This has something to do with It has to do with a 1992 Supreme Court ruling pertaining to remote merchants, which the states are hoping to eventually convince Congress to alter. Until then, they can only exude pressure, mainly on those retailers who have some sort of physical presence in their state — be it a warehouse or visiting salesmen with a booth at a convention.
OK, I now understand your anger.

If there was some way to tax internet retailers without requiring ties to the state, I would at least understand it (in theory at least), but this law requires ties and hence benefits the our of staters with know ties. Its going cost IL jobs!

This has been going on for a while. The states that already do this are North Carolina and Colorado.

I have a friend in the book business. Every time this happens, Amazon purges its affiliates in the affected states. which is killer for the affiliates. I think they have to dump their stock or move out, because for my friend, Amazon is now 75% of her sales. If you don't have Amazon, and if you don't have a big retail presence other wise, this kind of thing is a killer.

The net result will be zero increased revenues, and the disapearence of dozens of retailers.

Forum List

Back