IL Governor Douche Bag Struck Again - Taxing Internet Sales!!!

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
I really thing this joker is intentional trying destroy the great state of lllinois with his far leftist agenda!!! First state in the nation to do this!

How are companies going to get around this? Close all operations in Illinois and fire every IL worker! Already being announce that Amazon and Overstock are going to do just that. I wonder who else will follow suit? Groupon prehaps (or probably). I mean with this and the highest corporate tax in the world, why wouldn't they?

Gov. Quinn signs Internet sales tax bill | Chicago Breaking Business
Gov. Pat Quinn signed legislation Thursday to require online merchants with aphysical presence in Illinois to collect and remit sales tax.
The controversial law, called the Main Street Fairness Act, means online retailers — including giant Amazon.com Inc. and Overstock.com Inc. — must collect sales taxes on purchases made by Illinois residents as long as the retailer has a physical presence in the state. The law is effective immediately.

The move is expected to have little effect on consumers’ online shopping habits, but deals a blow to small businesses that count the giant retailers as a major source of ad revenue.

Amazon and Overstock.com said they would avoid collecting sales tax by stopping their affiliation with Web site companies in Illinois that direct traffic to Amazon and Ovestock. Under the new law, online retailers are deemed to have a presence in Illinois if they have a contract with an affiliate based in here.

“Illinois’ main street businesses are critical to ensuring our long-term economic stability, which is why they must be able to compete with every company doing business online in Illinois,” said Quinn. “This law will put Illinois-based businesses on a level playing field, protect and create jobs and help us continue to grow in the global marketplace.”

Amazon and Overstock, along with other out-of-state online merchants, have ties to thousands of deal and coupon sites. These so-called affiliate marketing sites typically send potential customers to Amazon and Overstock in exchange for a cut of sales.

Illinois is among a handful of states that have instituted similar laws to extract sales taxes from online merchants and boost depleted state coffers. The Illinois Department of Revenue estimates it misses out on $153 million to $170 million in uncollected sales taxes each year from online purchases. The uncollected taxes of goods sold online and through catalogs totaled $8.6 billion in 2010 nationwide, according to a Wall Street Journal report citing the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Last edited:
Any bill that has "fairness" as part of the text needs to be ripped to shreds because there is nothing fair about it.

I am shocked that governor Quinn and the Democrats in the general assembly are too stupid to not realize that this will put IL corps at a disadvantage, cost Illinoisians jobs and give more incentive for IL headquartered companies to move out of state.

The IL communist government has declared war on business! I wonder who is going to lose in the end?

I'm waiting for the double dip sales tax. The state selling the product with sales tax and the receiving state with sales tax. That way both states get a cut. Of course if Illinois is 7% and Indiana is 7% and each gets to tax the overall tax would be 14%! This is the wave of the future and states will see it as a way to help their budgets out.

I'm waiting for the double dip sales tax. The state selling the product with sales tax and the receiving state with sales tax. That way both states get a cut. Of course if Illinois is 7% and Indiana is 7% and each gets to tax the overall tax would be 14%! This is the wave of the future and states will see it as a way to help their budgets out.

Ouch, that's ugly. Yeah, because they'd never cut the taxpayer a break and keep 3.5 percent each.

Cook County, the by far largest and most populated county, has a sales tax of 10% (12% on prepared foods)!

Cook County, the by far largest and most populated county, has a sales tax of 10% (12% on prepared foods)!

Up until a couple of years ago, vegetable plants were tax free since they're produce or food. Not anymore, Texas declared them plants and started taxing them. This was right after gardens started increasing due to rising food prices.

There's already a pact between a dozen or so states to collect sales tax on internet transactions - and it makes perfect sense.

Of course it males alot of sense!
Why should the local business be the only ones collecting sales taxes? Or a better question, why should an out-of-state business have an advantage over the local businesses? The local businesses pay taxes, they employ local people who's income are tax within your state and purchases create jobs and more tax revenue for your state (in this case Illinois), local businesses are assets to the community. Do the out-of-state business contribute anything to Illinois, I mean really?

There's already a pact between a dozen or so states to collect sales tax on internet transactions - and it makes perfect sense.

Yea a pact between the liberal business hating states! The smart ones like Texas and Utah will laugh at this and reap the benefits of another business hating move by blue states!

Not taxing online purchases is fair to your local retailers,,how?

Fairness has little to do with this bonehead move! Internet companies like Amazon and Overstock have sales people and small operations in IL and other states. To avoid this tax all they have to do is fire their employees in IL and close their operations. Both the companies mentioned went on record to say they are going to do just that!

Of course it males alot of sense!
Why should the local business be the only ones collecting sales taxes? Or a better question, why should an out-of-state business have an advantage over the local businesses? The local businesses pay taxes, they employ local people who's income are tax within your state and purchases create jobs and more tax revenue for your state (in this case Illinois), local businesses are assets to the community. Do the out-of-state business contribute anything to Illinois, I mean really?

Read the law! If a business is truly an OUT-OF-STATE business, then there is NO tax! ZERO! If the business has some ties, some operations or some employees, then the tax applies! Therefore the results of this law will be internet retailers will close shop and fire their IL employees, hence avoiding the tax. This is another antibusiness move by he Democrats!

Not sure if you learned this yet, but life isn't fair and many times so is business. If business was fair, then Chinese and Mexican workers would make as much as American workers. Our business regulation would be as loose as China's. The flat tax would work! Etc. But business is not like that. In order to stay in business businessmen need to look for advantages. Avoiding taxation is one of them!

Cook County has a 10% sales tax and 12% prepared foods sales tax. Many retailers have left Cook for neighboring Lake and Kane, where the sales tax is 7% (still pretty high). Is it FAIR that Cook County businesses pay a much higher sales tax?

Last edited:
. Do the out-of-state business contribute anything to Illinois, I mean really?
For this law and for this tax to APPLY, the "out-of-state" company MUST contribute something to Illinois. Meaning they have to have some operations here and workers. If they have none, which is not hard for an internet company to do (I mean move your salesmen to WS and IN and have them travel to IL, have operations move to neighboring states, like small business and corporations have been doing in response to the income and corporate tax increase) and hence have no ties and hence don't pay the tax.

So what this law did was give company's incentive to fire IL employees and shut down operations in IL!

Hook what the hell is going in Illinois?

It's simple, we have a budget crisis! But instead of cutting spending and trying to attract businesses. We have liberals in charge who cave to the Unions, cave to the special interests and raise taxes while every other state is lowering taxes!

IL is in trouble and the long-term effects will take a lot to turnaround!

I really thing this joker is intentional trying destroy the great state of lllinois with his far leftist agenda!!! First state in the nation to do this!

How are companies going to get around this? Close all operations in Illinois and fire every IL worker! Already being announce that Amazon and Overstock are going to do just that. I wonder who else will follow suit? Groupon prehaps (or probably). I mean with this and the highest corporate tax in the world, why wouldn't they?

hey, you're rich you can afford it:eusa_hand:

..think of all those weddle chillens of public union employees who are starving..dey needs da fuuds....:(

Not sure if you learned this yet, but life isn't fair and many times so is business. If business was fair, then Chinese and Mexican workers would make as much as American workers. Our business regulation would be as loose as China's. The flat tax would work! Etc. But business is not like that. In order to stay in business businessmen need to look for advantages. Avoiding taxation is one of them!

Cook County has a 10% sales tax and 12% prepared foods sales tax. Many retailers have left Cook for neighboring Lake and Kane, where the sales tax is 7% (still pretty high). Is it FAIR that Cook County businesses pay a much higher sales tax?

You don't seem to understand the difference between local sales tax and state sales tax. I realize that at the cash register you don't care how much is local and how much is state, but if you're the governor you do.

Forum List

Back