If You're In the New York Area

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jillian, Nov 4, 2012.

1. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,266
    and are ok after the storm.

this little teeny part of Brooklyn got hit really hard and needs supplies and bodies to help out.

[​IMG]

Gerritsen Beach's Zone B Horror: "No One Was Ready" For Storm Surge: Gothamist

2. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,962
    No one was ready?

Why? Did they not get the memo?

3. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,266
    did you read the article? they were told they were in zone b and didn't have to evacuate.

do we really want to blame the victims?

jeeze... who stole your log in?

4. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,962
    I don't 'blame' the victims. I blame their elected officials.

I've already donated to help those who need it.... I tend to put my money where my mouth is... being a conservative. I don't need some half assed lefty deciding what I should support.

5. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,795
    Thanks for posting this Jillian. From the map picture, it does look like they would have be in a relatively protected area. I guess the full moon really did affect flooding.

How is it getting into the city and out for out of towners. I know of a couple that plans on taking up supplies from the Boston area and I will tell them about this community.

6. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,795
    wtf is your problem? It's comments like these that keep me from voting for "conservatives."

7. jtpr312

jtpr312 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +251
    Hmm, they weren't ready. This after almost a week's worth of warnings that the largest storm in memory was heading their way? This is typical liberal thinking at it's best. EVERY weather expert in the nation tells you this will be a storm like no other this generation has ever seen. EVERY expert tells you that you can expect storm surges maybe as high as 20'. EVERY expert tells you to prepare for maybe up to a week without power. EVERY expert tells you to evacuate if you live in flood prone areas or near the ocean. Common sense tells you to either evacuate or at least stock pile the neccessities that you need to survive yet you ignore all these experts because you think the govt is all knowing and will and should take care of you. This community is in Sheepshead Bay, on a pennisula. It is almost completely surrounded by water. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to KNOW this area would be in danger.

8. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,266
    they never saw it coming. the whole area is a mess.

that seems to be what happened... the moon plus the surges just wiped them out.

getting into the city is ok today. tomorrow they may go back to the requirement that you have 3 or more people in the car to go into manhattan. i'm told metro north is running some lines and the LIRR is running on all lines except for long beach. we have no subway system at my end of the world... but bus travel has been ok.

9. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,962
    No, it's not comments like mine that keep you from voting with conservatives. That's a lie. You're a left winger - that's why you don't vote conservative.

There is no reason to get all emotional about it. Donate and help. Not rocket science.

10. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,266
    again...another person who doesn't read. they were told they were in a safe area and were told they didn't have to evacuate.

you do realize that if people don't have to evacuate they don't leave their homes, right?

what else would you have had them do? they'd still need help getting the area cleaned up?

i just love compassionate conservatives. :cuckoo: