If State Legislators/Governor Won't Enact Rent Control, Vote Them Out

The reciprocal of a ban is ANOTHER SUBJECT, Mr Deflection.

nd you have some gall to come in here and spout about " making an honest living" when you don't give a rat's ass about the millions of business owners (99.999% of them) whose sales are drastically reduced because of landlords raising rents to unheard of levels,

Every dollar those landlords pocket, is another dollar taken away from every other business in America, but you not worried about that at all, Mr UNconcerned American. (or you're such an idiot, it never even occured to you).
Listen, moron, you live in a rental because, by your own admission, you can't or don't want to keep up a property that you OWN. That upkeep is not free. You chose to pay someone to do it. Wages are increasing that means YOU have to pay for what you contracted for. Quit being a whiny parasite and support the people who serve YOU. Your altruistic BS about the ASPCA or Shriners is just that. People are due a wage for providing a service. If you don't want to pay it, buy your own place and keep it up yourself.

I don't know what the rents are in that neighborhood, now so I am not going to enter into discussion of specific rents.

If you are trying to say that there is rent control where apartments are $3,400 for a 750 sqft 2-bed apartment, you're not going to get very far with that. :lol:

I will simply say that IF any apartment is renting for $3,400 for a 750 sqft 2-bed apartment, then it obviously is not under any normal control law, and likely hasn't been for quite some time.

I will also say AGAIN that when I lived in a rent controlled apartment for 21 years, and I moved out, the rent was $85/month. 10 years later, it was only $97/mo, as the increases were limited to 3% per year.
That's actually part of the problem.
You lived in a rent controlled apartment for 21 years.

That's part of why rent prices go up, is because the apartments that are rent controlled never become available.

Yes, rent control benefited you. It did. No question. But what about everyone else?

See the problem is, all those rent controlled apartments like the one you were in, people tend to stay in them for decades on decades. So those apartments are effectively no longer on the market.

Supply and Demand. Demand is going up, while the supply is effectively shrinking, because those apartments never come up for rent. You stay in them for 21 years or even longer.

That's how it is with rent control. It benefits the extreme few, at the expense of everyone else. Everyone else is stuck with $3,400 /mo rent for a 750 sqft 2-bed apartment.

Because people like you effectively reduced the supply of apartments by staying in a rent controlled apartment for 20 plus years.

And I wager your income was more than enough to rent something else, but you didn't. Even though far more cash-strapped people really needed those affordable apartments.

And by the way.... that's not a criticism of your choices either. I would have done the exact same thing. Absolutely. I would have stayed in that apartment for 30 or 40 years even.

There was a story in the NY Times about a NYC actress, who stayed in a rent controlled apartment for 50 years. And why not? Yes, she was making hundreds of thousands as an actress, but why would you go rent an apartment that costs $4,000, when you can stay in a rent-controlled one for under $100 a month?

Yes it screws over all the people that actually need cheap apartments, who are now faced with $3,000 a month for a hobbit hole, but what's that to you?

My point to you is still the same. Rent control has never worked. It has always resulted in rent prices dramatically increasing, and your example is exactly what I'm talking about. You stayed in that apartment for 20+ years, which means that apartment was effectively not available, which means supply was constrained, which is why prices in your area are way up into the $3,400 for a 750 sqft apartment.

Yes it benefits you. You made out on this deal. Great for you. But you screwed everyone else. Your policy is why people are struggling and having a miserable life. It benefited you. And if I lived there, I would have done the same thing. But it still benefited you at the harm of everyone else.

Which by the way is how all left-wing policies work. It benefits the few, and screws the rest of society.

The reciprocal of a ban is ANOTHER SUBJECT, Mr Deflection.

nd you have some gall to come in here and spout about " making an honest living" when you don't give a rat's ass about the millions of business owners (99.999% of them) whose sales are drastically reduced because of landlords raising rents to unheard of levels,

Every dollar those landlords pocket, is another dollar taken away from every other business in America, but you not worried about that at all, Mr UNconcerned American. (or you're such an idiot, it never even occured to you).
Again, how many business owners are seeing reduced sales, because of the million plus apartments that are not rented at all in NYC, because rent control makes them unprofitable to rent, thus people have no places to live in the city?

Wouldn't that cause more loss of sales, than a higher rent? Having no customers... AT ALL?

Yes it screws over all the people that actually need cheap apartments, who are now faced with $3,000 a month for a hobbit hole, but what's that to you?
It also screws over every other renter that has to pay an inflated rent to make up for the lowlife who won't pay market value. That doesn't even begin to address the people who have rent controlled apts. that sublet them.

It also screws over every other renter that has to pay an inflated rent to make up for the lowlife who won't pay market value. That doesn't even begin to address the people who have rent controlled apts. that sublet them.
Absolutely. This is 100% correct.

Say you are a apartment builder, building a 50 unit apartment building, and you want to rent them out for $1,000 a month. The city says that you must dedicate 30% of your units to "affordable housing" and only charge $400 a month for those affordable apartments, that means the other 35 units have to be rented for $1,300 a unit instead of $1,000.
Everyone else must be charged more, to cover the loss on the 15 units that are charged less.

But that isn't even the entire story, because what happens then is that many builders figure out that this makes the apartments so expensive, for the same size apartment, that it's unlikely they'll be able to rent them, and thus the apartment building isn't built at all.

So the supply of apartments drops, which that in turn drives up prices, because the supply is constrained.

And this was actually the findings of San Fransisco own research. The City itself came to this conclusion. But they haven't changed policies. It's like something straight out of Atlas Shrugged. "Well all die anyway, so what does it matter"

Listen, moron, you live in a rental because, by your own admission, you can't or don't want to keep up a property that you OWN. That upkeep is not free. You chose to pay someone to do it. Wages are increasing that means YOU have to pay for what you contracted for. Quit being a whiny parasite and support the people who serve YOU. Your altruistic BS about the ASPCA or Shriners is just that. People are due a wage for providing a service. If you don't want to pay it, buy your own place and keep it up yourself.
Oh, so landlords' costs are the problem, huh ? I guess you never heard about RealPage and their algorithims. Watch this video, and you'll see why rents are not just going up, but are skyrocketing all over the country.

Now you can actually have the information you need to post in this thread. No charge for the tutoring (Moron)

That's actually part of the problem.
You lived in a rent controlled apartment for 21 years.

That's part of why rent prices go up, is because the apartments that are rent controlled never become available.

Yes, rent control benefited you. It did. No question. But what about everyone else?

See the problem is, all those rent controlled apartments like the one you were in, people tend to stay in them for decades on decades. So those apartments are effectively no longer on the market.

Supply and Demand. Demand is going up, while the supply is effectively shrinking, because those apartments never come up for rent. You stay in them for 21 years or even longer.

That's how it is with rent control. It benefits the extreme few, at the expense of everyone else. Everyone else is stuck with $3,400 /mo rent for a 750 sqft 2-bed apartment.

Because people like you effectively reduced the supply of apartments by staying in a rent controlled apartment for 20 plus years.

And I wager your income was more than enough to rent something else, but you didn't. Even though far more cash-strapped people really needed those affordable apartments.

And by the way.... that's not a criticism of your choices either. I would have done the exact same thing. Absolutely. I would have stayed in that apartment for 30 or 40 years even.

There was a story in the NY Times about a NYC actress, who stayed in a rent controlled apartment for 50 years. And why not? Yes, she was making hundreds of thousands as an actress, but why would you go rent an apartment that costs $4,000, when you can stay in a rent-controlled one for under $100 a month?

My point to you is still the same. Rent control has never worked. It has always resulted in rent prices dramatically increasing, and your example is exactly what I'm talking about. You stayed in that apartment for 20+ years, which means that apartment was effectively not available, which means supply was constrained, which is why prices in your area are way up into the $3,400 for a 750 sqft apartment.

Yes it benefits you. You made out on this deal. Great for you. But you screwed everyone else. Your policy is why people are struggling and having a miserable life. It benefited you. And if I lived there, I would have done the same thing. But it still benefited you at the harm of everyone else.

Which by the way is how all left-wing policies work. It benefits the few, and screws the rest of society.
I stopped reading at the part where you again (Ludicrously) tried to bullshit me that a
$3,400 /mo rent for a 750 sqft 2-bed apartment.
is under rent control.

EARTH TO ANDYLUSION: $3,400 for a 750 sqft apartment is rent UNcontrol. It is what happens when you DON'T have rent control. We are adults here. I'm 78 years old. Don't talk as if we were in the first grade.

Again, how many business owners are seeing reduced sales, because of the million plus apartments that are not rented at all in NYC, because rent control makes them unprofitable to rent, thus people have no places to live in the city?

Wouldn't that cause more loss of sales, than a higher rent? Having no customers... AT ALL?
MILIONS of business owners are seeing reduced sales (and VERY reduced) because of the million plus apartments that ARE RENTED at grossly inflated rents. All that extra, increased money going to JACKED-UP rents, is money being LOST by sporting goods stores, barber shops, beauty salons, car dealerships, the ASPCA, Shriners, Wounded Warriors, etc.

Business organizations and Republican parties of cities all over Florida are campaigning on behalf of all these businesses, to establish rent control in Florida. It has become a top issue, as rents are out of control with wacko orgs like Real Page and its inhuman algorithims in control, and causing evictions and homelessness, at an unprecedented rate.

When people can no longer even afford to put a roof over their heads, they're not going to be buying too many tennis rackets or Toyotas, y'know ?

Market value is obsolete. The cartels like RealPage are setting the rates.
You have lost track of this issue.

Oh, so landlords' costs are the problem, huh ? I guess you never heard about RealPage and their algorithims. Watch this video, and you'll see why rents are not just going up, but are skyrocketing all over the country.

Now you can actually have the information you need to post in this thread. No charge for the tutoring (Moron)

Put your tin hat on. Once again, if rent controlled areas are your idea of Utopia, then be my guest and move to one of your commie blue state shitholes and enjoy yourself. You are FOS in your rent control fantasies and I would hazard a guess that you will NEVER see rent control in FL in your lifetime. Now quit telling everyone you are a conservative because you are the furthest thing possible from being conservative when you deny free market business for communist programs.

Absolutely. This is 100% correct.

Say you are a apartment builder, building a 50 unit apartment building, and you want to rent them out for $1,000 a month. The city says that you must dedicate 30% of your units to "affordable housing" and only charge $400 a month for those affordable apartments, that means the other 35 units have to be rented for $1,300 a unit instead of $1,000.
Everyone else must be charged more, to cover the loss on the 15 units that are charged less.

But that isn't even the entire story, because what happens then is that many builders figure out that this makes the apartments so expensive, for the same size apartment, that it's unlikely they'll be able to rent them, and thus the apartment building isn't built at all.

So the supply of apartments drops, which that in turn drives up prices, because the supply is constrained.

And this was actually the findings of San Fransisco own research. The City itself came to this conclusion. But they haven't changed policies. It's like something straight out of Atlas Shrugged. "Well all die anyway, so what does it matter"
Sounds like Alice in Wonderland. Just because some landlord has these irrational, flaky ideas, doesn't mean a damn thing. All bunk.

Market value is obsolete. The cartels like RealPage are setting the rates.
You have lost track of this issue.
Go buy a car and tell me market value is obsolete. You only wish. LOL, next you'll be saying "You will own nothing and you will be happy." You just outed yourself comrade. How much is Soros paying you.

Put your tin hat on. Once again, if rent controlled areas are your idea of Utopia, then be my guest and move to one of your commie blue state shitholes and enjoy yourself. You are FOS in your rent control fantasies and I would hazard a guess that you will NEVER see rent control in FL in your lifetime. Now quit telling everyone you are a conservative because you are the furthest thing possible from being conservative when you deny free market business for communist programs.
Have you noticed my display name ? > protectionist. And you know whom I am protecting. Millions of BUSINESS OWNERS being destroyed by RealPage and other cartels like them , an all the landlords who suck up to them.

And you call YOURself a "conservative" ? Republicans in Florida are taking up the cause to fight for these business owners, and you are on the opposite side. You are a TRAITOR to the business community of this whole country.

And your little "communist programs" card isn't going to save you either. You have chosen to take the side against the millions of businesses fighting for their lives against the cancer of RealPage and all the others that are affecting the rental scenario of America (no longer a "market") - not to mention your hostility to the millions of American renters.

When you come over to being on the side of American business, THEN you can call yourself a "conservative", instead of a landlord lackey.

Millions of business owners are seeing reduced sales because of the online marketplace. Where have you been since the advent of Amazon. Wake up
That doesn't mean that they're not being shattered by the housing fiasco.
Lots of things affect sales. Even the weather. People don't buy too many tennis rackets in the summer here in Florida. Ho hum.

Hey, today is my birthday, UNconcernd American. So you need to be nice to me on my birthday. LOL. And it would also help to keep you from looking so UNconcerned about renters and business owners. :biggrin:

Go buy a car and tell me market value is obsolete. You only wish. LOL, next you'll be saying "You will own nothing and you will be happy." You just outed yourself comrade. How much is Soros paying you.
I said "market value" is obsolete in RENTAL HOUSING, not cars.

Getting enough sleep lately ? :rolleyes:

How much is RealPage paying YOU ?

Forum List

Back