The International Criminal Court's (ICC) prosecutor said on Monday that he is looking at alleged war crimes by North Korean forces in South Korea, citing last month's artillery attacks and the sinking of a warship. "The Office of the Prosecutor has received communications alleging that North Korean forces committed war crimes in the territory of the Republic of Korea," it said in a statement. "The Prosecutor of the ICC, Luis Moreno-Ocampo, confirmed that the Office has opened a preliminary examination to evaluate if some incidents constitute war crimes under the jurisdiction of the Court." The incidents included the shelling of Yeonpyeong Island on November 23 this year, in which several South Korean marines and civilians were killed, and many others were injured, the ICC prosecutor's office said in its statement. They also include the sinking of a South Korean warship, the Cheonan, which was hit by a torpedo allegedly fired from a North Korean submarine on March 26 2010, killing 46 people.