I tried

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
But couldn't get it to work. Loaded XP on my secondary computer, thought maybe I could play my old XP games that no longer work. First problem was it took upwards of around two hours to format then load and initially would not recognize my new mouse so I found an old Microsoft mouse in my stash and it worked. Secondly no Lan drivers anywhere to be found and I spent a couple of hours searching the internet for em.......... I was also missing about half my controller drivers and again no available drivers. So that experiment is done unless I can fix an old 486 with original hardware which I'm not gonna do.
Loaded an old Win 7 pro I have on it and it all worked perfectly, now all I have to do is hack the authentication if I decide to keep it.

But couldn't get it to work. Loaded XP on my secondary computer, thought maybe I could play my old XP games that no longer work. First problem was it took upwards of around two hours to format then load and initially would not recognize my new mouse so I found an old Microsoft mouse in my stash and it worked. Secondly no Lan drivers anywhere to be found and I spent a couple of hours searching the internet for em.......... I was also missing about half my controller drivers and again no available drivers. So that experiment is done unless I can fix an old 486 with original hardware which I'm not gonna do.
Loaded an old Win 7 pro I have on it and it all worked perfectly, now all I have to do is hack the authentication if I decide to keep it.

I've got XP on the second hard drive of my second PC. I use it for my MP3 player, which I could never get the software to work for on Vista. :)

Why not use virtual pc for your old games?

I've got XP on the second hard drive of my second PC. I use it for my MP3 player, which I could never get the software to work for on Vista. :)

Why not use virtual pc for your old games?
Tried that on my fast gamer but it didn't work well.

Just buy an older system that was standard hardware when XP was in vogue. Ebay for starters.

It's possible to put together systems that will run any software that has come out. You can buy pc's from 1983 that work fine. As you've discovered it does sometimes take time to figure out all the little details. Check on Tom's Hardware, post up a question or check for others there that also use older OS's. You CAN use all of them, it just takes the time to figure it all out.

I've found emulators of older OS's don't work well. There's always some glitch or problem they have.

Check this dude out:

The 8-Bit Guy

Just buy an older system that was standard hardware when XP was in vogue. Ebay for starters.

It's possible to put together systems that will run any software that has come out. You can buy pc's from 1983 that work fine. As you've discovered it does sometimes take time to figure out all the little details. Check on Tom's Hardware, post up a question or check for others there that also use older OS's. You CAN use all of them, it just takes the time to figure it all out.

I've found emulators of older OS's don't work well. There's always some glitch or problem they have.

Check this dude out:

The 8-Bit Guy
Went to all those sites and nothing for my home built system but like I said it was just an experiment to see if I could get it to work it's not a world ending issue for me.

These 2 links might help you-
Can 32bit programs run in XP Mode in Windows 7 pro 64bit?
Need more than 16bit color depth on Windows XP Mode
The second link is the link that is within that discussion

Tried a virtual XP mode on a very fast gaming computer, still runs like molasses in winter even adjusting the memory usage. Like I told someone else I was just playing around and it's not a world ending issue for me, hell I think I only have two or three XP games left and they'll go out the door soon.

Tried a virtual XP mode on a very fast gaming computer, still runs like molasses in winter even adjusting the memory usage. Like I told someone else I was just playing around and it's not a world ending issue for me, hell I think I only have two or three XP games left and they'll go out the door soon.

I assume you have, but have you tried finding patches and modded executable files for those games?
I have found working patches for several old games that will make the games work on a modern OS

I assume you have, but have you tried finding patches and modded executable files for those games?
I have found working patches for several old games that will make the games work on a modern OS
Yes on one, no on the other and the one I did find patches for the patches were glitchy. Besides it's really not a big deal as my point is more about the trouble I was having installing XP and not really the games, the fact I couldn't get XP to install and run properly on a newer machine.

Yes on one, no on the other and the one I did find patches for the patches were glitchy. Besides it's really not a big deal as my point is more about the trouble I was having installing XP and not really the games, the fact I couldn't get XP to install and run properly on a newer machine.

Do you have an older HD around? Put XP on that. I've got a.....um......*goes to check*.....a 300GB HD in my second PC with XP installed on it. I use it for storage and for the program for my old MP3 player. I feel like you must have a spare HD you could use to toss XP on somewhere. :)

Do you have an older HD around? Put XP on that. I've got a.....um......*goes to check*.....a 300GB HD in my second PC with XP installed on it. I use it for storage and for the program for my old MP3 player. I feel like you must have a spare HD you could use to toss XP on somewhere. :)
Not worth the trouble, I'm too busy reinstalling Windows 7 on most of my computers I'm finally fed up with Microsuck's Windows 10.

Not worth the trouble, I'm too busy reinstalling Windows 7 on most of my computers I'm finally fed up with Microsuck's Windows 10.

When Bliepriester says it is a bad OS, you know it is REALLY a bad OS.

Forum List

Back