I tried to watch a college football game tonight and I can't get into it

fbj

Gold Member
Jul 10, 2014
Neither team plays defense at all. Both offenses are just running up and down the field. No pass rush, no tackling, no batted balls, no clogging the hole, just wide open lanes and recievers. So that is why the NFL is much better to watch because teams care about playing defense.

I mean is the field shorter in college football? Every time I look up the other team is in the redzone about to score.

I tried to watch a college football game tonight and I can't get into it----

Hmm, when did that happen to me? Oh wait, I remember -- every day since frickin' birth.

I never have understood why I should care about this or that college team unless I attended it. Doesn't represent anything. At least with pro sports you can pretend the team on the field represents Cincinnati or Chicago or Kansas City. Gives you something in the real world to relate to.

But college sports...complete waste of time.
snore.gif

Hmm, when did that happen to me? Oh wait, I remember -- every day since frickin' birth.

I never have understood why I should care about this or that college team unless I attended it. Doesn't represent anything. At least with pro sports you can pretend the team on the field represents Cincinnati or Chicago or Kansas City. Gives you something in the real world to relate to.

snore.gif

And let's not forget the 1000 Bowl Games in December

snore.gif

Hey these bowl games help support schools' football programs and generate billions in revenue. No one really cares if you like college ball or not. Millions do.

snore.gif

Hey these bowl games help support schools' football programs and generate billions in revenue. No one really cares if you like college ball or not. Millions do.

It's too many of them

snore.gif

Oh, they feed their own self-feeding circle. Gosh gee that's very important. I can see why that's vital.

(/sarc)

snore.gif

And the fans of the teams in each bowl watch. It is not expected to be watched by every college football fan.

And as for representing, these schools represent their fans and alum. Some in great fashion.

Neither team plays defense at all. Both offenses are just running up and down the field. No pass rush, no tackling, no batted balls, no clogging the hole, just wide open lanes and recievers. So that is why the NFL is much better to watch because teams care about playing defense.

I mean is the field shorter in college football? Every time I look up the other team is in the redzone about to score.

You want to see defense? Watch SEC teams. Or better yet, find the 2011 BCS Championship game when Bama held LSU scoreless. THAT was a defense.

snore.gif

And the fans of the teams in each bowl watch. It is not expected to be watched by every college football fan.

And as for representing, these schools represent their fans and alum. Some in great fashion.

Apparently they graduate about ten thousand percent more alumni than they claim to. :dunno:

That's my point -- if the Denver Broncos are playing and you happen to be from Denver, it makes sense to be interested. You have a connection. But if it's the University of Maryland and you've never been anywhere near Maryland............. ??? That's what doesn't add up.

I learned the hard way when the Sugar Bowl is. I think my words were "what in the fuck are all these cars doing here in the dead of winter??" Lesson learned for the moment but still not sure how to anticipate them. It's like the signs they put up in New Orleans saying "no parking three hours before a parade" ---- fine, you wanna tell us when the parade's coming? I don't like surprises I guess.

snore.gif

Apparently they graduate about ten thousand percent more alumni than they claim to. :dunno:

That's my point -- if the Denver Broncos are playing and you happen to be from Denver, it makes sense to be interested. You have a connection. But if it's the University of Maryland and you've never been anywhere near Maryland............. ??? That's what doesn't add up.

I learned the hard way when the Sugar Bowl is. I think my words were "what in the fuck are all these cars doing here in the dead of winter??" Lesson learned for the moment but still not sure how to anticipate them. It's like the signs they put up in New Orleans saying "no parking three hours before a parade" ---- fine, you wanna tell us when the parade's coming? I don't like surprises I guess.

You will notice that I said "...fans and alum.". Not all of our fans are alum. Just like not every Denver fan has been to CO.

If you have never been to MD and have no connection to the state or school, then.....wait for it......Don't watch the University of Maryland play.

I get that it is not everyone's cup of tea. But this "I don't watch it so it sucks" nonsense is ridiculous. We saw it about soccer, about baseball, and now about college football. I love the college football history, the loyalty, and the fact that most of the players will never play pro ball, but are giving it their all. Catch a tailgaiting time at one of the big football schools. Go to The Grove at Ole Miss or the Quad at Alabama. I bet you'd change your tune.

snore.gif

You will notice that I said "...fans and alum.". Not all of our fans are alum. Just like not every Denver fan has been to CO.

That's kind of my point. If you're an alum the connection is obvious. If you're not.... :dunno: That's the missing link. For example I'm not a fan of the Utah Jazz, as I have no connection whatsoever to Utah. So why should I care?

If you have never been to MD and have no connection to the state or school, then.....wait for it......Don't watch the University of Maryland play.

Exactly my thinking.
So why do they do it? That's what I don't get. No basis. Doesn't add up. It's a head scratcher.

I get that it is not everyone's cup of tea. But this "I don't watch it so it sucks" nonsense is ridiculous. We saw it about soccer, about baseball, and now about college football. I love the college football history, the loyalty, and the fact that most of the players will never play pro ball, but are giving it their all. Catch a tailgaiting time at one of the big football schools. Go to The Grove at Ole Miss or the Quad at Alabama. I bet you'd change your tune.

Nobody said "I don't watch it so it sucks". Somebody said that about tennis but I think that's another thread. I'm saying I don't get the attraction; the alumni, that makes sense but there can't possibly be that many of them.

Yanno the sites you mention at the end here -- I don't have the first clue where any of them are. I just hope I don't get caught up in their traffic.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back