I see nothing wrong with a SCOTUS code of conduct.

justoffal

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2013
The controversy surrounding codes of conduct for the SCOTUS seems to be mostly partisan bickering. There is no valid reason whatsoever to stall the process. I know some are concerned that it is targeted at the conservatives on the court but these things always balance themselves out in the long run. Alito and Thomas are being accused but so is Sotomayor. Imo this is an important issue.

Jo

The controversy surrounding codes of conduct for the SCOTUS seems to be mostly partisan bickering. There is no valid reason whatsoever to stall the process. I know some are concerned that it is targeted at the conservatives on the court but these things always balance themselves out in the long run. Alito and Thomas are being accused but so is Sotomayor. Imo this is an important issue.

Jo
There is no problem with Supreme Court having a code of conduct, like every other government org and most corporations, accept, they believe they should be above that sort of thing.

I worked over 30 years as a Federal Employee

We had strict ethical rules to follow and it was stressed that it is not just an ethical impropriety but the APPEARANCE of an impropriety.

We have border laws and we don't enforce them. The Biden family is racking up the felonies and we don't charge them. We allegedly have free speech but when Dems. are in power, you can only say things they agree with. Hell, Biden is even ignoring the SC ruling stopping student loan forgiveness. So, you tell me WTF rules-laws are good for. Our government has little to no credibility to make good on anything they promise. MAGA- promises made promises kept.

We have border laws and we don't enforce them. The Biden family is racking up the felonies and we don't charge them. We allegedly have free speech but when Dems. are in power, you can only say things they agree with. Hell, Biden is even ignoring the SC ruling stopping student loan forgiveness. So, you tell me WTF rules-laws are good for. Our government has little to no credibility to make good on anything they promise. MAGA- promises made promises kept.
He is not ignoring the SC ruling on student loans I still have my student loan to pay.

Jo
Do you not grasp the real issue? It's not that having a "code of conduct" for the Supreme Court is wrong...it's that Congress has no business deciding what that code of conduct will be! That's something that the Judicial Branch should decide and ONLY the Judicial Branch! We have 3 different branches for a reason.

Do you not grasp the real issue? It's not that having a "code of conduct" for the Supreme Court is wrong...it's that Congress has no business deciding what that code of conduct will be! That's something that the Judicial Branch should decide and ONLY the Judicial Branch! We have 3 different branches for a reason.
No argument..

Jo

Above the law like Joe Biden? When he comes clean, then the rest of the government can get a good cleaning.
Oh, thats the way it works? So, the Supremes are holding out until you guys can get something that will stick on Biden and then will give up the tips and off the books perks of office, deciding what is best for everyone else? I had not read that. I thought they were against any kind of ethics, ever on general, for profit, better than everybody else forever, motivations.
What are you gonna do if they use Republican lawyers to try to prosecute? You know they never win even when every trumper in the country believes there is crime. So, other than a miracle, you're good with us having the best justice money can buy, right?

There is no reason judges should not report every political contact and every benefit they don’t pay for
No argument
But I do think the structure should be formed inside the federal courts system. Roberts could draft a committee of say six bench judges 3 R and 3 D to outline a reasonable code.
Subject to approval by a vote of the 9.

No argument
But I do think the structure should be formed inside the federal courts system. Roberts could draft a committee of say six bench judges 3 R and 3 D to outline a reasonable code.
Subject to approval by a vote of the 9.

Roberts is taking the position that….We are Supreme Court Justices, we KNOW what acceptable behavior is

It is obvious they don’t

Forum List

Back