I, Robot

Zhukov

VIP Member
Dec 21, 2003
Everywhere, simultaneously.
I know it's not out yet. I just wanted to get this out of my system.

Now, I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure I, Robot is loosely based upon Isaac Asimov's 1950's era collection of short stories about androids with positronic brains and various eccentricities associated with their development. I use the word loosely loosely, because based on the previews I've seen I'm pretty sure this movie has approximately nothing to do with anything Asimov ever wrote excluding the coincidence that there are robots in it. Asimov didn't write puerile sci-fi pulp.

So if it sucks, don't blame Isaac.

Originally posted by Zhukov
I know it's not out yet. I just wanted to get this out of my system.

Now, I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure I, Robot is loosely based upon Isaac Asimov's 1950's era collection of short stories about androids with positronic brains and various eccentricities associated with their development. I use the word loosely loosely, because based on the previews I've seen I'm pretty sure this movie has approximately nothing to do with anything Asimov ever wrote excluding the coincidence that there are robots in it. Asimov didn't write puerile sci-fi pulp.

So if it sucks, don't blame Isaac.

Was it Asimov or Heinlien. Seem Heinliein did a story with a similar plot line?

Welll, I, Robot is Asimov's, I have it right here. I also read something about a year ago talking about Will Smith being in an Asimov-inspired movie. According to what I've seen, the movie I, Robot more closely resembles Asimov's first (chronologically) robot 'novel', The Caves of Steel. Still, it doens't seem to resemble that book much either.

I've never read any Heinlein, so I can't comment on that.

Originally posted by Zhukov
Welll, I, Robot is Asimov's, I have it right here. I also read something about a year ago talking about Will Smith being in an Asimov-inspired movie. According to what I've seen, the movie I, Robot more closely resembles Asimov's first (chronologically) robot 'novel', The Caves of Steel. Still, it doens't seem to resemble that book much either.

I've never read any Heinlein, so I can't comment on that.

cool - I used to read both profusely when I was in High School...but that was soooooo long ago.

The "I Robot" novel was however very cool. I always remember "Prime Directive #1" everytime I read about advances in robotics or see robotics portrayed in films.

I read "I, Robot" just last month because I knew the movie was coming out and I didn't want to ruin what is a great book by watching a crappy movie before it; unfortunately, the only thing that this movie and "I, Robot" have in common is the title.

Forum List

Back