I often wonder how D-Day would be portrayed by Today's media...

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by insein, Jun 11, 2004.

1. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/northeastvalleyopinions/articles/0608sr-brashear08.html

This article ponders the question.

This caught my attention last night when i was watching the discovery channel's D-Day special. It said that 12,000 allied troops and 20,000 French civilians were killed on D-Day alone. Compare that to 800 soldiers and thousands of Iraqi civilians that have died after a Year and we can only imagine the outcry against WW2 if today's media and modern democrats were around during that time.

Just something to ponder as to how much we have changed in 60 years.

2. Xenimus

Xenimus Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I think it would be about the same, Republicans would cry that we don't need to go, that would be the same. However, the conviction of Bush Sr's dad for treason, probly wouldnt be covered by todays media. :)

3. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Can i get an intelligent response? Anyone?
    :trolls:

4. Xenimus

Xenimus Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for offending you.

I believe the media would portray in much the same way as 'war on terror'. Simply because they make a WHOLE LOTTA MONEY off this stuff.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    It 'Could Not Be Found'. Can you post the article?

6. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356

7. JIHADTHIS

JIHADTHIS Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I doubt we could stomach another DDay. Look at the poll numbers regarding Iraq. GWB said it himself yesterday: "Things take time, you people expect everything instantly." Not his exact words I'm sure but you get the gist of it.

8. americanexpo

americanexpo Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    well, i think the media is all screwed up but...

the US gov't and military has no one to blame but themselves. they created this atmosphere of mistrust and doubt by lying to the american people for years about the real situation in vietnam and then by nixon's reprehensible actions in office.

whether its been a democratic or republican administration, there's just scandal after scandal after scandal. that's not the american people's fault nor the media's.

i would think if we were waging war against nazi germany today, the secret of the concentration camps would have been revealed long before d-day, and it would have impressed even further upon the rest of the world (aside from the arab states) the reasons we're at war and why sacrifice and loss must be accepted and the good fight be fought.

look, d-day was the greatest moment in human history, bar none. on no other day in human history were there more prayers from more people around the world then on this day. the fate of humanity sat on the shoulders of those brave men from many different countries and walks of life. you just don't have that with terrorism, terrorism has always existed and always will, just hopefully not in the mass destruction sense of 9/11. human beings are by nature, quarellsome and cruel at times. i doubt terrorism can be defeated entirely, unlike say facism or communism.

but facism and toliteranism, that should be wiped out, for now and forever.

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Do I understand this correctly? Today the world would know the atrocities being committed by Germany and act more swiftly?

I see no evidence of THAT, (though perhaps I misunderstood your point). France and the Netherlands are having repeated anti-Semetic attacks going on, some with people critically hurt.

What's going on in Africa is well documented, Sudan and elsewhere. Where is the outrage? It takes BIG PROBLEMS to major players before the world cares. It's wrong, but seems to be the way.

10. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    I dont think you offended anyone. you post was just stupid. It made no sense. You dont write very coherantly.