I love casseroles..post your favorite.

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
What is you favorite casserole or casserole recipe?

I love the simple leftover standby...meat, noodles, cream of whatever condensed soup, sour cream, cheese topping, salt and pepper.

Whisk two eggs and two cups of milk together. Add 4 ounces of shredded cheese (I like medium cheddar, but it's up to you), and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in two pounds of frozen tater tots until they're thoroughly coated in the egg, milk, and cheese mixture. Spread in a greased casserole pan and sprinkle another 4 ounces of cheese over the top. (This is handy, because the stores sell pre-shredded cheese in 8 oz. bags.) Bake in a 350-degree oven for 40-45 minutes.

This is the basic tater tot casserole recipe. You can add chopped onions, chopped ham, sliced hot dogs, browned ground beef, whatever grabs you to dress it up. My family will eat this until they bust if I let them. No leftovers happening here.

Whisk two eggs and two cups of milk together. Add 4 ounces of shredded cheese (I like medium cheddar, but it's up to you), and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in two pounds of frozen tater tots until they're thoroughly coated in the egg, milk, and cheese mixture. Spread in a greased casserole pan and sprinkle another 4 ounces of cheese over the top. (This is handy, because the stores sell pre-shredded cheese in 8 oz. bags.) Bake in a 350-degree oven for 40-45 minutes.

This is the basic tater tot casserole recipe. You can add chopped onions, chopped ham, sliced hot dogs, browned ground beef, whatever grabs you to dress it up. My family will eat this until they bust if I let them. No leftovers happening here.

Mmm...Cecilie, that sounds so good :eusa_drool:, and easy too.

This might be on the menu here tonight.

Not really a casserole...but we eat it as a main dish so....

Smokehouse Cauliflower Medley

1/4 c butter
1 head cauliflower cut
1/4 lb bacon,cooked and cut
2 oz jar drained sliced pimiento
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp chopped parsley

In 3 qt pan melt butter. Stir in remaining ingredients (except parsley). Cover;cook over med heat,stirring occasionally. Cook until cauliflower is tender (10 to 12 min.) Sprinckle with parsley and serve.

INDIAN CORN CASSEROLE

3 eggs, well beaten
1/4 c. flour
2 tbsp. sugar
2 c. (1/2 lb.) shredded sharp process cheese
2 (1 lb.) cans whole kernel corn, drained (4 c.)
10 slices (about 1/2 lb.) bacon, cooked and crumbled

Combine eggs, flour and sugar and beat well. Add shredded cheese and corn. Stir in about 3/4 of the bacon. Place mixture in ungreased 10x6x1 1/2 baking dish. Sprinkle remaining bacon on top. Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serves 8.

Parmesan Artichoke Casserole

2 (10 ounce) cans artichoke hearts in water, drained
8 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 pinch paprika

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Place artichoke hearts in a glass mixing bowl. Mix in cheese, garlic powder, mayonnaise and parsley until well coated. Spread mixture in 9x13 inch glass baking dish and sprinkle with paprika.

Bake in preheated 350 degrees 25 to 35 minutes.

Add ins for variety:

Zucchini
Spinach
Cauliflower

Baked French Toast Casserole with Maple Syrup

Paula Deen recipe

Ingredients:
1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces)
8 large eggs
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Dash salt
Praline Topping, recipe follows
Maple syrup

Directions:

Slice French bread into 20 slices, 1-inch each. (Use any extra bread for garlic toast or bread crumbs). Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.

Praline Topping:

1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. Makes enough for Baked French Toast Casserole.

18-20 Pejibaye's peeled, boiled for about 8 minutes, then pureed with fresh cream.
Set aside.Cram a half stick of real butter in there.
Skin an ayote(2 lbs),cube it into one inch cubes, and boil it until tender.(Pumpkin "could" suffice).
Do about 4 large potato's the same way.
Toss in with the pureed Pejibaye.MIX.
Use some guava(or any citrus-maybe apple ?) wood and slowly cook a cut up rabbit( 3 lbs) over a low temp fire with some green guava on top to create more smoke.
Bone out the rabbit, shred the meat, and toss in the mix.Heat/simmer again.
In a separate iron skillet create The Trinity.
Dump The Trinity on a plate and make a roux in the same skillet.
When the roux looks like chocolate(thick and coffee colored) dump some chicken broth( a liter/quart) in and dump everything together. Stuff it in a casserole dish, shred some smoked gouda up top and munch out in 15 minutes or so.
This is normally done with a Tepisquintle meat but rabbit works fine.I grow wabbit and refuse to kill Temps / Agouti.The farm raised fetch $80 for a ten pounder. Rabbit is just fine.I think any non-red meat would be fine. Pork, chicken,even fish or shell fish.

The side dish is the standard murkin green bean casserole with the canned dry onions and cream of mushroom soup.
A Caesar salad is just as good and a hell of a lot better for you.
Don't forget the garlic bread.

The key here is Pejibaye.Peach palm. Faulting that you could use yuca/cassava . I think it would work well.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XG2t8eGzaU]YouTube - ‪Spider Monkey eating Pejibaye Fruit‬‏[/ame]

CHICKEN CHOW MEIN CASSEROLE

4 c. cooked chicken, diced
1 bunch green onions, diced
4 stalks celery, diced
1 lg. can dry chow mein noodles
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 soup can of milk
1/4 c. cashews

Place half the noodles in round casserole dish. Layer celery, then green onions, then chicken. Mix the soup and milk. Pour over chicken. Top with remaining noodles. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Sprinkle cashews over casserole. Bake another 5-10 minutes

Here's another one my family likes.

Shepherd's Pie

Brown two pounds of ground turkey with chopped onion. Stir in a can of cream of mushroom soup and half-a-can of milk. Add a package of frozen peas and carrots. Spread the mixture evenly in a greased casserole pan. Spread mashed potatoes (you can use the pre-made ones if you like; just be sure you microwave them according to package instructions first) over the top, and spray with butter-flavored cooking spray. Bake until the mashed potatoes brown slightly.

Here's another one my family likes.

Shepherd's Pie

Brown two pounds of ground turkey with chopped onion. Stir in a can of cream of mushroom soup and half-a-can of milk. Add a package of frozen peas and carrots. Spread the mixture evenly in a greased casserole pan. Spread mashed potatoes (you can use the pre-made ones if you like; just be sure you microwave them according to package instructions first) over the top, and spray with butter-flavored cooking spray. Bake until the mashed potatoes brown slightly.

Sounds great. My mom made one similar when I was a kid.

Combine cooked hamburger,green beans and tomato soup. Scoop mashed potoatoes on top...bake.

Quick and easy.

Not a true casserole, maybe...but baked mac & cheese kept us in excess calories last winter...

Ingredients:

1 8-0z pack of macaroni
4 T butter
4 T flour
1 C milk
1 C cream
1/2 t salt
Fresh ground pepper to taste
2 C shredded cheddar, good quality
1/2 C breadcrumbs, buttered

1 Preheat oven to 400°F.
  1. 2 Cook and drain macaroni according to package directions; set aside.
  2. 3 In a large saucepan melt butter.
  3. 4 Add flour mixed with salt and pepper, using a whisk to stir until well blended.
  4. 5 Pour milk and cream in gradually; stirring constantly.
  5. 6 Bring to boiling point and boil 2 minutes (stirring constantly).
  6. 7 Reduce heat and cook (stirring constantly) 10 minutes.
  7. 8 Add shredded cheddar little by little and simmer an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.
  8. 9 Turn off flame.
  9. 10 Add macaroni to the saucepan and toss to coat with the cheese sauce.
  10. 11 Transfer macaroni to a buttered baking dish.
  11. 12 Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
  12. 13 Bake 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.
  13. 14 (You can also freeze this recipe in zip-lock bags for later use - once you have mixed the macaroni along with the cheese sauce allow to cool to room temperature before adding to your freezer - I generally pull it out the night before and allow macaroni and cheese to reach room temperature; I then add the macaroni and cheese to a buttered baking dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs and then bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until golden brown on top and bubbling.
Read more: Fannie Farmer's Classic Baked Macaroni And Cheese Recipe - Food.com - 135350

Last edited:
That was not easy to post...

For bread crumbs I just butter some bread, cube it, and drop it on top of the mac & cheese

And you can experiment with the cheeses and add whatever else you like....I like to throw some sharp cheddar in there.

Chicken Tortilla Bake...this is an awsome way to use up leftover chicken or turkey:

Ingredients

• 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
  • 2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chilies
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 12 corn tortillas
  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
Directions

1. In a bowl, combine the chicken, chilies, broth, soups and onion; set aside. Warm tortillas in the microwave according to package directions. Layer half of the tortillas on the bottom of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan, cutting to fit pan if desired. Top with half of the chicken mixture and half of the cheese. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.

We also make a hot or cold salad that really is a casserole, but I can't find the recipe online.

You cook rice-a-roni chicken flavor according to directions; add frozen shrimp, a can of marinated artichoke hearts w/the liquid, cashews, and curry to taste....then you throw it in the oven and bake it until it's hot through. It's excellent..if you like curry.

What is you favorite casserole or casserole recipe?

I love the simple leftover standby...meat, noodles, cream of whatever condensed soup, sour cream, cheese topping, salt and pepper.

Chicken Adobe.

Two cups each, cooked and diced chicken, cooked rice, montery jack cheese shreaded.
1/3 cup dices green chiles
1 can diced tomatoes
8 oz sour cream

Mix the chicken, rice, tomatoes and chiles in a bowl. Layer half the misture in a casserole dish and cover with sour cream and half the jack cheese. Add the second layer with the rest of the sour cream and cheese. Bake for 30 minutes covered and serve with corn bread and an ice cold beer or ale of your choice.

Can be made in advance the day before.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back