I Learned a Dirty Secret About eBay Today, is it Illegal?

Lewdog

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2016
Williamsburg, KY
I had bought some returned items, or items with damaged packaging from a pallet store that got their pallets from Amazon. One of the products I got for $.25 each were a wireless mouse made by a company called VicTsing. They were brand new, but just had damaged boxes so I listed them on eBay for $5 each plus shipping.

Today I got an email from eBay saying they violated their terms of VeRO, and that the company that manufacturers the item contacted eBay to take my post down. I called eBay and was told that eBay has a policy that a company can fill out a form that allows them to be the ONLY ones who can post a specific product on eBay. What?!!? An auction/sales site allows companies to sign exclusive contracts? Who the fuck thought this was fair for their platform? With eBay being a publicly owned company, does this violate anti-trust laws?

I just don't see how this can be legal or ethical given the eBay platform. It makes ZERO sense. I had them listed as new out of box. I wonder if I list them as used if they can stop that as well. I'll ave to find out tomorrow. I can't see how a company can do what eBay is doing.

74455250_2921252977938362_4563937754601226240_o.jpg

I had bought some returned items, or items with damaged packaging from a pallet store that got their pallets from Amazon. One of the products I got for $.25 each were a wireless mouse made by a company called VicTsing. They were brand new, but just had damaged boxes so I listed them on eBay for $5 each plus shipping.

Today I got an email from eBay saying they violated their terms of VeRO, and that the company that manufacturers the item contacted eBay to take my post down. I called eBay and was told that eBay has a policy that a company can fill out a form that allows them to be the ONLY ones who can post a specific product on eBay. What?!!? An auction/sales site allows companies to sign exclusive contracts? Who the fuck thought this was fair for their platform? With eBay being a publicly owned company, does this violate anti-trust laws?

I just don't see how this can be legal or ethical given the eBay platform. It makes ZERO sense. I had them listed as new out of box. I wonder if I list them as used if they can stop that as well. I'll ave to find out tomorrow. I can't see how a company can do what eBay is doing.

It's their platform. I spose they can make up whatever policies they want. But I agree with you. It's a shitty policy. Thanks for the heads up.

Craigslist them.

Can't stop the free market mang. .. . . .

I've done a fair amount of eBaying and no I never heard of this. Weird. That's also undermining your own business if you were planning to resell and now they won't let you which means you're stuck with them (?)

Why don't you just relist it without saying the brand name?

Besides which, this wacko "policy" would also prevent anyone from reselling a used one that they no longer need. Could that be the issue, listing as 'new' vs. 'used'? Because then you could go with "New Other".

By the way I need a mouse, one just went kaput.. Maybe two or three. I like what it looks like. However -- now that I know what you paid for 'em........... :deal:

Last edited:

I've done a fair amount of eBaying and no I never heard of this. Weird. That's also undermining your own business if you were planning to resell and now they won't let you which means you're stuck with them (?)

Besides which, this wacko "policy" would also prevent anyone from reselling a used one that they no longer need. Could that be the issue, listing as 'new' vs. 'used'? Because then you could go with "New Other".

By the way I need a mouse, one just went kaput.. Maybe two or three. I like what it looks like. However -- now that I know what you paid for 'em........... :deal:

You can have them for $.25 each... but there is a $8 shipping and handling fee on each. :71:

You can have them for $.25 each... but there is a $8 shipping and handling fee on each. :71:

I can drive over to Lexington cheaper than that ;)

lol Why would being 'a public company' have anything to do with it? These aren't used second hand items, they're new, so yeah, Ebay would make deals with companies to protect new sales versus used. It's also very fair to allow a company to control the sale terms of its own products that haven't been previously purchased.

Last edited:
lol Why would being 'a public company' have anything to do with it? These aren't used second hand items, they're new, so yeah, Ebay would make deals with companies to protect new sales versus used. I

Publicly traded companies have to follow regulations that private ones do not.

lol Why would being 'a public company' have anything to do with it? These aren't used second hand items, they're new, so yeah, Ebay would make deals with companies to protect new sales versus used. I

Publicly traded companies have to follow regulations that private ones do not.

lol not the way you're claiming here. They have to file stockholder reports that the public can access for instance, that's about it as far as differences go, some rules to protect investors requiring some transparency. Otherwise they're only subject to the same regulations any other company is. See the UCC for how all that works.

Forum List

Back