I just stumbled onto a great classic rock band.

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Dont know how it slipped my mind for decades ??

I just realized I like many of their songs and never linked into all together to the same group

There sound is legendary. So energic and raw. Only 70s sounds like that

THE WHO

Last edited:
What is a BABA O'Riely ?? Thanks

The song, 'Baba O'Riley', appeared on the LP 'Who's Next' which went to No. 1 in the UK. The title refers to the band's guitarist Pete Townshend's two leading philosophical and musical inspirations: Maher Baba and Terry Riley.

Townshend said the song was about "the absolute desolation of teenagers at Woodstock, where audience members were strung out on acid, and 20 people had brain damage. The irony was that some listeners took the song to be a teenage celebration: 'Teenage Wasteland, yes! We're all wasted!'"

The song, 'Baba O'Riley', appeared on the LP 'Who's Next' which went to No. 1 in the UK. The title refers to the band's guitarist Pete Townshend's two leading philosophical and musical inspirations: Maher Baba and Terry Riley.

Townshend said the song was about "the absolute desolation of teenagers at Woodstock, where audience members were strung out on acid, and 20 people had brain damage. The irony was that some listeners took the song to be a teenage celebration: 'Teenage Wasteland, yes! We're all wasted!'"
I am going to say??
The who is better then Guns N Roses

Straight out of Wiki -- DYOFR you lazy git.
Only did this because of personal memories and knowing Roger ( slightly) as he is a not so distant neighbour .

"Baba O'Riley" is a song by the English rock band the Who, and the opening track to their fifth album Who's Next (1971). It was issued in Europe as a single on 23 October 1971, coupled with "My Wife".
Roger Daltrey sings most of the song, with Pete Townshend singing the middle eight: "Don't cry/ don't raise your eye/ it's only teenage wasteland".
Widely regarded as one of the Who's finest songs and as one of the greatest rock songs of all time, "Baba O'Riley" appears in Time magazine's "All-Time 100 Songs" list, Rolling Stone's list of "The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time", and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as one of the 500 Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll.
It also features on the live albums Who's Last, Live from Royal Albert Hall, Live from Toronto, and Greatest Hits Live. The original recording's violin solo is played on harmonica by Daltrey when performed live.

Title[edit]​

The song is often incorrectly referred to as "Teenage Wasteland", due to these oft-repeated words in the song's chorus refrain. "Teenage Wasteland" was in fact a working title for the song in its early incarnations as part of the Lifehouse project, but eventually became the title for a different but related song by Townshend, which is slower and features different lyrics.[4] A demo of "Teenage Wasteland" features in Lifehouse Chronicles, a six-disc set of music related to the Lifehouse project, and in several Townshend compilations and videos.
The song's title refers to two of Townshend's major inspirations at the time: Meher Baba, and Terry Riley.[5

You just stumbled on to The Who?

Where you been these last 50 years?
I grew up always hearing the other big bands of the that era.
I heard the songs and never realized it was all the WHO.

How did Towsend age so much and badly. Very sad how life is

The Who was never one of my favorite bands but they have to be acknowledged as a force in music.

Forum List

Back