I, For One, Welcome Our New Self Driving Overloards

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
Baby you can drive my car.....

An “unlikely” string of events prompted Amazon’s Echo personal assistant device to record a Portland, Ore., family’s private conversation and then send the recording to an acquaintance in Seattle, the company said Thursday.

The woman told KIRO-TV in Seattle that two weeks ago an employee of her husband contacted them to say he thought their device had been hacked. He told them he had received an audio file of them discussing hardwood floors, she said.

Amazon Echo sent family's private conversation to another user | CBC News

Baby you can drive my car.....

An “unlikely” string of events prompted Amazon’s Echo personal assistant device to record a Portland, Ore., family’s private conversation and then send the recording to an acquaintance in Seattle, the company said Thursday.

The woman told KIRO-TV in Seattle that two weeks ago an employee of her husband contacted them to say he thought their device had been hacked. He told them he had received an audio file of them discussing hardwood floors, she said.

Amazon Echo sent family's private conversation to another user | CBC News
I had a huge shouting match with an Amazon employee about this danger over a year ago. I could not get through their thick skulls the dangers of the Amazon Echo automatically loading all of your contacts into Amazon's database without your permission. And there is no way to stop it except to shut off their call function entirely. Which is exactly what I did.

If you have an employee in your phone contact list, that employee can call the Echo in your living room when you aren't home. I pointed this out to Amazon over a year ago. I was one of the beta testers of the Echo.

Forum List

Back