I didn't write this but I like it. . . .

Discussion in 'Immigration/Illegal Immigration' started by Foxfyre, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    No idea where this originated, but it's not only funny, but it contains some interesting concepts. And yeah mods, you probably won't think it REALLY belongs in the immigration forum. :)

It comes from the New York Times, opinion, in 2006....only every where you have put in Tea Party, it states PRESIDENT BUSH.

Here is the link:http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/06/17/liberals-sneaking-into-canada/

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2011
  2. AVG-JOE

AVG-JOE USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,151
    :eusa_eh:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,957
    :lol::lol::rofl::rofl::rofl:

4. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    To Care who edited my post and provided a link to the 'original', please note that Kristof wasn't taking credit for it either and admitted that he didn't know where it originated. I'm sure there are various versions circulating out there with various edits to suit somebody's intent. You also screwed up my post by screwing up the quote function. :) THWAP

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  5. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,656
    i messed up the quote function??:eusa_eh:

(btw foxfyre- and fyi- even with the changes made by many, it is still copyright material, and had to have a link...)

6. 007

007 Barry belongs in prison. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,939
    ------------------ [​IMG]

7. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    Just teasing friend, but yes, you deleted the /quote at the end so the quote box went away. And I don't think it IS copyrighted material since the author you linked stated he got it somewhere else, didn't know its origin, and didn't identify a source for it.

Most likely it is just a clever e-mail somebody composed and started circulating years ago and has gone through various morphfications (is that a word?) since then. I have seen several versions, but this one was especially clever so I thought I would share it.

Not arguing with you. Just clarifying where I was coming from. As a former editor I'm very conscious of copyright laws and I honestly don't think they apply in this case. :)

8. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,957
    at the end so the quote box went away. And I don't think it IS copyrighted material since the author you linked stated he got it somewhere else, didn't know its origin, and didn't identify a source for it.

Most likely it is just a clever e-mail somebody composed and started circulating years ago and has gone through various morphfications (is that a word?) since then. I have seen several versions, but this one was especially clever so I thought I would share it.

Not arguing with you. Just clarifying where I was coming from. As a former editor I'm very conscious of copyright laws and I honestly don't think they apply in this case. :)[/QUOTE]

I think you are correct about copyright.... since it is of 'unknown origin'. However, I agree with Care that, for the sake of the board, we do need to be cautious about copyright. It's not worth taking a risk. And, as a writer, I'd be seriously pissed - in fact I have been seriously pissed (including seeking legal redress) - if people publish my work without paying me to do so. :eusa_angel:

9. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    Oh I'm not quibbling with Care's concern. Nor her adding the link.

But you can't copyright somebody else's words that you admit you didn't write, get permission to use, or pay to use. Years later, since I last published a tabloid newspaper, I still get requests from folks to use this or that in my publication, usually something I wrote. But if what I wrote contained a 'one time permission to use' content, I would refer them to that person for permission as it was not mine to give. But jokes, anecdotes, etc. that were not attrituable to anybody are generally accepted as being in the public domain and we do not have to provide a source. Especially something that has been rewritten and revised as much as the OP has over the years.

But in the 'better safe than sorry' category I agree with the policy of providing a link or source when such is advisable. In this case though, if the writer of the NY Times piece did claim that as copyrighted material, which he almost certainly didn't via his disclaimer, he would be pissed at me rewriting it too, yes? And I'm pretty sure the NY Times editor wouldn't have allowed copied content if they thought copyright laws applied either. :)

10. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,158
    The flood of American liberals? Where? They're moving to Canada?

I'm going.