CDZ I am For Picture ID For Voting

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
Really, what is the problem? You go down to the DMV or County Clerk’s Office or whatever set up your local town or hamlet has and get a photographic ID made so the poll workers can verify your sacred vote is cast by no one other than yourself. As long as there is no charge for the ID, there cannot be a serious allegation made that this is an undue burden to the person who wishes to vote. Nor, as long as it is made available to any and all who wish to seek to register for the picture ID, can one seriously contend that this is some form of voter suppression. I may listen to an argument about forcing someone to do it every year but once every 2-4 years doesn't seem like too much of an imposition to me.

Now, for the record, I’m fully in favor of having federal laws that require states to provide absentee voting prior to the official election day –the Tuesday after the first Monday in November—for at least a week. Voting by mail has been done for nearly 100 years without any issues. Those who think this is a portal to fraud are just not thinking it through. Even more heinous is the position that you have to have a “good reason” to vote absentee; as if it is some sort of business of the State why you feel more comfortable about voting from your living room as opposed to going to the local school house. I am also for standardization of the voting devices as well as the picture ID I sponsored in the first paragraph. Meaning that someone from Peoria who happens to be in Pittsburgh and wishes to vote simply goes to the polling place, swipes their standard uniform voter ID card into the uniform and standardized voting device and their local ballot from Peoria comes up on the screen. They make their selections and go about their merry way just as they would do in person at their high school or fire department.

The resistance to having an ID to vote comes mainly from the left of which I’m a member in good standing in most of the online tests I have taken. I’m for a woman’s right to privacy, oppose Trump, am in favor or equal pay for equal work, am for raising the minimum wage incrementally to $10.00 an hour, am against separating families at the border except as a last resort, support the ACA, etc… However, on this topic, I have to call BS on those who think obtaining a picture ID card to vote is an undue burden or, more troubling, is unnecessary. I covered the “undue burden” argument already. As for the argument that it is not necessary, one should consider that every two years, there are a lot of local initiatives on the same ballot as the federal offices. These “down ballot” races do not get a lot of attention nationally and in some cases even locally. Raising the local tax rate or allowing the City or State to have more power can affect your family for decades. Wouldn’t you want the vote for such laws and ordinances to be of persons from your locality or State? And this is just the bi-annual elections. What about off year and primary races where the turnout is in the hundreds and a few votes cast inaccurately (either by accident or on purpose) can sway who the nominee becomes? Thinking it is unnecessary and reality are two different things.

Whatsmore is this; if we have the tools for accuracy….why not just make it as accurate as possible? It seems like a no-brainer to me.

What's the problem? This is nothing more than a way to divide people. If states wanted to enact this they could have long ago. Everyone that votes has to register to vote. You give them a photo I.D. when they register. When you go to renew your D.L. you give people a voters I.D. Before long the vast majority of people would have one.

Why is it not done? Then it wouldn't be a wedge issue. Nothing is actually ever done about many wedge issues. Abortion, guns, immigration and this.

The question is asked "why don't we". The only reason we don't is because we don't.

Really, what is the problem? You go down to the DMV or County Clerk’s Office or whatever set up your local town or hamlet has and get a photographic ID made so the poll workers can verify your sacred vote is cast by no one other than yourself. As long as there is no charge for the ID, there cannot be a serious allegation made that this is an undue burden to the person who wishes to vote. Nor, as long as it is made available to any and all who wish to seek to register for the picture ID, can one seriously contend that this is some form of voter suppression. I may listen to an argument about forcing someone to do it every year but once every 2-4 years doesn't seem like too much of an imposition to me.

Now, for the record, I’m fully in favor of having federal laws that require states to provide absentee voting prior to the official election day –the Tuesday after the first Monday in November—for at least a week. Voting by mail has been done for nearly 100 years without any issues. Those who think this is a portal to fraud are just not thinking it through. Even more heinous is the position that you have to have a “good reason” to vote absentee; as if it is some sort of business of the State why you feel more comfortable about voting from your living room as opposed to going to the local school house. I am also for standardization of the voting devices as well as the picture ID I sponsored in the first paragraph. Meaning that someone from Peoria who happens to be in Pittsburgh and wishes to vote simply goes to the polling place, swipes their standard uniform voter ID card into the uniform and standardized voting device and their local ballot from Peoria comes up on the screen. They make their selections and go about their merry way just as they would do in person at their high school or fire department.

The resistance to having an ID to vote comes mainly from the left of which I’m a member in good standing in most of the online tests I have taken. I’m for a woman’s right to privacy, oppose Trump, am in favor or equal pay for equal work, am for raising the minimum wage incrementally to $10.00 an hour, am against separating families at the border except as a last resort, support the ACA, etc… However, on this topic, I have to call BS on those who think obtaining a picture ID card to vote is an undue burden or, more troubling, is unnecessary. I covered the “undue burden” argument already. As for the argument that it is not necessary, one should consider that every two years, there are a lot of local initiatives on the same ballot as the federal offices. These “down ballot” races do not get a lot of attention nationally and in some cases even locally. Raising the local tax rate or allowing the City or State to have more power can affect your family for decades. Wouldn’t you want the vote for such laws and ordinances to be of persons from your locality or State? And this is just the bi-annual elections. What about off year and primary races where the turnout is in the hundreds and a few votes cast inaccurately (either by accident or on purpose) can sway who the nominee becomes? Thinking it is unnecessary and reality are two different things.

Whatsmore is this; if we have the tools for accuracy….why not just make it as accurate as possible? It seems like a no-brainer to me.
In some areas of the country it's a waste of time. In my area, the people who work at polling places also work at the local businesses. They know you by name. Pretty pointless to ask for ID.

Really, what is the problem? You go down to the DMV or County Clerk’s Office or whatever set up your local town or hamlet has and get a photographic ID made so the poll workers can verify your sacred vote is cast by no one other than yourself. As long as there is no charge for the ID, there cannot be a serious allegation made that this is an undue burden to the person who wishes to vote.
You are ignoring a significant factor here. Most DMVs have cops on duty, a very significant proportion of which are crooked cops. And if somebody has an arrest warrant the DMV computer is going to automatically flag it, for even the most minor technical law violations (of which there are thousands). When someone attempts to get or renew thier drivers license or state ID they could end up being arrested and shoved into a cage with some badass psychotic murderer in the county jail.

Last edited:
Really, what is the problem? You go down to the DMV or County Clerk’s Office or whatever set up your local town or hamlet has and get a photographic ID made so the poll workers can verify your sacred vote is cast by no one other than yourself. As long as there is no charge for the ID, there cannot be a serious allegation made that this is an undue burden to the person who wishes to vote.
You are ignoring a significant factor here. Most DMVs have cops on duty. And if somebody has an arrest warrant for even the most minor technical law violations, when they attempt to get or renew thier drivers license or state ID they could end up being arrested, and thrown in jail, and shoved in a cage with some psychotic murderer in the county jail.

I've never been in a DMV with a police officer on duty.

In some areas of the country it's a waste of time. In my area, the people who work at polling places also work at the local businesses. They know you by name. Pretty pointless to ask for ID.

Agreed but if you're not a registered voter....

What's the problem? This is nothing more than a way to divide people. If states wanted to enact this they could have long ago. Everyone that votes has to register to vote. You give them a photo I.D. when they register. When you go to renew your D.L. you give people a voters I.D. Before long the vast majority of people would have one.

Why is it not done? Then it wouldn't be a wedge issue. Nothing is actually ever done about many wedge issues. Abortion, guns, immigration and this.

The question is asked "why don't we". The only reason we don't is because we don't.

The logic is faulty. Its not a wedge issue or at least it shouldn't be.

You are ignoring a significant factor here. Most DMVs have cops on duty, a very significant proportion of which are crooked cops. And if somebody has an arrest warrant the DMV computer is going to automatically flag it, for even the most minor technical law violations (of which there are thousands). When someone attempts to get or renew thier drivers license or state ID they could end up being thrown in jail, and shoved into a cage with some badass psychotic murderer in the county jail.

Your typical retarded comment.

You are ignoring a significant factor here. Most DMVs have cops on duty. And if somebody has an arrest warrant for even the most minor technical law violations, when they attempt to get or renew thier drivers license or state ID they could end up being arrested, and thrown in jail, and shoved in a cage with some psychotic murderer in the county jail.

Who rode with you when you took your driver's test?

The logic is faulty. Its not a wedge issue or at least it shouldn't be.

So which is it?

Who rode with you when you took your driver's test?

The DMV employee.

“Really, what is the problem?”

The problem is that there are registered voters – citizens who have been voting consistently for decades – who lack the documentation required to obtain a photo ID.

The problem is that when one registers to vote for the first time in a new jurisdiction, he’s required to provide a photo ID. As long as a citizen remains active and current on the registration rolls, there’s no need for the voter to continue to provide a photo ID.

The problem is that voter ‘fraud’ by false identification is virtually non-existent to the extent that the requirements to obtain and provide a photo ID are not justified – particularly when it prohibits a lawfully registered voter from voting.

The problem is that voter ID laws are enacted in bad faith – seeking to suppress votes rather than prevent non-existent ‘fraud.’

The problem is that it’s a manifestation of government excess and overreach – the enactment of unwarranted laws that do nothing but increase the size and authority of the state at the expense of the right to vote. In order for government to lawfully place limits and restrictions on citizens’ rights, it must do so based on objective, documented evidence in support of those limits and restrictions; voter ID laws are devoid of justifying evidence.

And the problem is that voter ID laws are predicated on a presumption of guilt; if elections officials suspect a voter is attempting to engage in fraud, that needs to be addressed on a case-by-case basis, not compel the voting public as a whole to ‘prove’ they’re not attempting to commit ‘fraud.’

Voting is a fundamental right – immune from attack by government motivated by capricious partisanism and baseless fears of ‘fraud.’

There is nothing wrong with photo ID in the least. The question usually revolves around what kind of photo ID is acceptable. Why in some states is a concealed gun permit acceptable but not a student ID from an accredited university?

The bigger concern is the closing of polling stations.

“Really, what is the problem?”

The problem is that there are registered voters – citizens who have been voting consistently for decades – who lack the documentation required to obtain a photo ID.

The problem is that when one registers to vote for the first time in a new jurisdiction, he’s required to provide a photo ID. As long as a citizen remains active and current on the registration rolls, there’s no need for the voter to continue to provide a photo ID.

The problem is that voter ‘fraud’ by false identification is virtually non-existent to the extent that the requirements to obtain and provide a photo ID are not justified – particularly when it prohibits a lawfully registered voter from voting.

The problem is that voter ID laws are enacted in bad faith – seeking to suppress votes rather than prevent non-existent ‘fraud.’

The problem is that it’s a manifestation of government excess and overreach – the enactment of unwarranted laws that do nothing but increase the size and authority of the state at the expense of the right to vote. In order for government to lawfully place limits and restrictions on citizens’ rights, it must do so based on objective, documented evidence in support of those limits and restrictions; voter ID laws are devoid of justifying evidence.

And the problem is that voter ID laws are predicated on a presumption of guilt; if elections officials suspect a voter is attempting to engage in fraud, that needs to be addressed on a case-by-case basis, not compel the voting public as a whole to ‘prove’ they’re not attempting to commit ‘fraud.’

Voting is a fundamental right – immune from attack by government motivated by capricious partisanism and baseless fears of ‘fraud.’
/——/ “The problem is that there are registered voters – citizens who have been voting consistently for decades – who lack the documentation required to obtain a photo ID.”
What a bucket of Hilary. Every state offers free photo ID for whom ever needs it. Stop spreading your lies.

Forum List

Back