I am a libertarian

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by grbb, Oct 15, 2016.

1. grbb

grbb Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Imagine a shop with unreasonable terms. Say the shop sells wheat at 10 times the price, and sells oil at 1/10 th of global price.

You can curse the shop all you want. Or you can find other shops. It is your responsibility to use other shops.

I think governments are like that.

Say you have government with unreasonable terms. The mere acts of making honest money is punishable by tax to reward welfare parasites.

Then it's your job to find other places where tax is lower. My country, Indonesia, is one of them. All small bizs need only to pay 1% omset tax. Then I choose internet marketing as my occupation.

See. Solves tons of problems.

2. Onyx

Onyx Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,087
    I agree, but shops are a false equivalency. Unlike shops, the state can only sustain itself by establishing a monopoly on force.

Not really, no.

Disregarding those with ties to their homeland, the extent of state control is global.

Only with a government issued passport. The ability to leave with permission is not freedom.

When the states bring war, environmental destruction, enslaved humanity, and inevitably Armageddon to my doorstep, how will I opt out of that?

3. grbb

grbb Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Those are valid points.

But not perfect.

Shops also maintain monopoly. Why do you think price of pop corn is more expensive at cinema than at other places? That's a mini monopoly. Of course, you can just go outside buy pop corn outside and get back but then you miss the movie.

Government is like that. Yes there is a cost. Not infinite, but there are costs to simply get the fuck out.

However, those costs can be reduced. I think it's my responsibility to understand the law, hire lawyers, and do whatever it takes, to minimize my tax and avoid paying taxes.

4. Onyx

Onyx Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,087
    Now you are just becoming apologetic. I do not care for, "It is what it is."?

Like I said earlier, how do I opt out of the wars, environmental destruction, enslaved humanity, and inevitable Armageddon? You cannot escape states when the world is carved up of them.

5. grbb

grbb Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    That is the issue. You think you cannot avoid that. You can. If you think you can't you really can't.

Also why fear Armageddon?

90% of success means relative success. If every body dies, who cares? Do the right thing and my kind will repopulate the world. That's even better.

6. Onyx

Onyx Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,087
    This is too cryptic to decipher.

My preference is to preserve the world and all is beauty.

There would be no repopulation. No one survives nuclear winter, because even if you managed to make it several years in an inhospitable environment, it would take millions of years for the global ecosystem to reinvent itself.

7. grbb

grbb Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Anyway somebody did some math. Nukes are actually good. The fact that the cost is infinite actually reduce the average cost of conflict.

When conflict hurt both sides, people often do it if they think they can afford the cost.

As cost of conflict go up, the probability of conflicts between rational members of society go down quadratically. Average cost of conflict drop. Yap. That's beyond the knowledge of anyone that's not politician.

Look Onyx. Like you, I used to think of what's "wrong" with the world.

Let's change strategy.

Think for a while of what's "right" in this world and think how to make that even better.

Whatever we pay attention too should do wonder.

8. Onyx

Onyx Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,087
    :bang3:

There will always be a new wall I have to bash my head on