Hypertourism has overwhelmed many of America's natural attractions

get_involved

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2009
"Hypertourism has overwhelmed many of America's natural attractions," Harrop writes. Many of our open spaces and national parks are being loved to death. Part of the "macro solution," according to Harrop, is keeping our "immigration numbers in check."

At over 1 million people per year, immigration numbers are four times the traditional average, accounting for more than 80 percent of U.S. population growth. At current immigration rates, U.S. population would reach 618 million by 2100.

America's wilderness gets crowded - San Antonio Express-News

"Hypertourism has overwhelmed many of America's natural attractions," Harrop writes. Many of our open spaces and national parks are being loved to death. Part of the "macro solution," according to Harrop, is keeping our "immigration numbers in check."

At over 1 million people per year, immigration numbers are four times the traditional average, accounting for more than 80 percent of U.S. population growth. At current immigration rates, U.S. population would reach 618 million by 2100.

America's wilderness gets crowded - San Antonio Express-News

It would be great if more Americans took time to visit their national treasures. I do find that the scenic wonders seem to be over-run with persons speaking languages other than English. I go to the Grand Canyon quite often and the English speakers are either a minority or a slim majority. Spanish is no where near the dominant language; it seems to be German and Japanese.

I'm a military history buff and have extensively toured Vicksburg. I think every American should visit at least one Civil War battlefield. Vicksburg is a fantastic place to visit and the NPS does a great job describing the battles. However, whenever I go there, there are very few overseas tourist.

It's a good problem to have--abundant interest in our national treasures--but you'd hope that the people they are intended for would be the ones with the most interest.

Thats too bad.

Not a military history buff, but I did take three days to walk the fields of Gettysburg, and spent a day a Fredricksburg. For a West Coast boy, the topography of Gettysburg was an eye opener. I had not imagined it so flat.

I have not been to Fort Donaldson, Shiloh, or Vicksburg yet. I need to see those places, for a had a Great Grandfather that fought in all those engagements with a unit of the Illinois Infantry.

Forum List

Back