Hugs are essential

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
7 Reasons Why We Should Be Giving More Hugs

The hormones that are released in the body after a hug aren't just good for happy feelings -- they can also help your physical health. When someone touches you, the sensation on your skin activates pressure receptors called Pacinian corpuscles, which then send signals to the vagus nerve, an area of the brain that is responsible for (among many things) lowering blood pressure, NPR reported.

So following along;

Human Connections Start With A Friendly Touch : NPR

In addition to calming us down and reducing our stress response, a friendly touch also increases release of the oxytocin — also called the "cuddle hormone" — which affects trust behaviors.

"Oxytocin is a neuropeptide, which basically promotes feelings of devotion, trust and bonding," Hertenstein says.

Oxytocin levels go up with holding hands, hugging — and especially with therapeutic massage. The cuddle hormone makes us feel close to one another.

"It really lays the biological foundation and structure for connecting to other people," Hertenstein says.

Cuddle hormone - too cute. But I know when my daughter was little, we were hugging all the time, and that didn't stop until she was in her own place. Now we hug whenever we see each other, and I hug my son-in-law, my grandbabies ... touch is very important.

I just never realized it actually tied into physical health. :thup:

@derideo_te

how can you make such a nice thread and be such a bitch at the same time?

thanks for thread and yes, hugs are great and important. i often experience more love with passionate hugs than kissing, the embrace is very comforting. never go without hugs.

MV5BMTUzNDUzOTIwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzIwNTc5._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

• Banned
On another note;

0518a291aacf3e509e5dd4fa9b77770c.jpg

My cat was very standoffish;

But whenever he heard my body hit the mattress, he was right there to get his due. His head would land in the crook of my arm, and I would give him scritches until he tired of my attendance.

So even if one is traveling through life alone, at least having a pet helps reduce any touch deprivation issues that may arise.

I'm certainly not the world's best "hugger". I feel more comfortable about the thought of hugging a tree than hugging my parents. For my own son though, who's only 1 year old, I am trying hard to encourage it with him. I was brought up feeling that hugging was not right. Stupid idea that is, but that's old fashioned for ya.

I lived and worked in a small rural farming community for 15 years. Lots of retired folks (one guy introduced himself as a retarded farmer- took me a while to figure that one out).

Anyhoo - the elderly gals were a hoot. I'd give 'em all hugs on occasion, and that evolved into Mr. H.'s "hug of the month club". I miss living there but I more like potable water, a newspaper on the porch, and pizza delivery. :thup:

Forum List

Back