HS star Wes Leonard dies after winning shot

People who think sexuality is a good reflection of character (i.e., kids of homosexuals should be proud of their parents for being homosexuals).

Right now the parents of all the jocks in that school are busy researching private schools, I imagine.

The odds are quickly stacking up...if you're a first string jock you might die mysteriously....

Not sure how seriously folks actually take this,but it does seem like I have seen these kind of reports more often. Here is another one. This boy apparently had a seizure.

17-year-old dies after collapsing at rugby match in Timnath

17-year-old dies after collapsing at rugby match in Timnath - KDVR

How depressing :(

CBS/AP) FENNVILLE, Mich. - A Michigan high school's star basketball player collapsed on the court and later died after making a game-winning layup in overtime to cap his team's perfect season.

Wes Leonard of Fennville High died Thursday night, Holland Hospital spokeswoman Deb Patterson said. A cause of death was determined to be an enlarged heart.

HS star Wes Leonard dies after winning shot - CBS News

He died doing something he loved and as a hero.

It's sad..but I can think of much worse ways to die.

I had the same basic thought when I first saw this story. It's certainly tragic, and the fact he died doing something he loved and winning the game to finish a perfect season are probably little or no comfort to his family and friends. I imagine there is little that would be comforting when someone so young dies. Still, at least his last experience was a happy one, and perhaps in time those who loved him WILL be able to find some solace from that.

I agree that it probably does give his family a little comfort to know that he died doing something he loved.

I read a follow up story that this team is going to go forward in the playoffs and they have not stopped practices either (at the families request).

I read in one of the early stories that this same area had another kid, an athlete, who died either at or right after some game.

Saw this and decided to post it.

How can teen athlete deaths be prevented?

(CNN) -- There were 35 black and orange balloons at Wes Leonard's funeral in Fenville, Michigan, on Tuesday, to represent the number on his high school basketball jersey. Even athletes from other schools who had competed against him were moved to tears.

Leonard, 16, died of cardiac arrest while playing basketball last Thursday, CNN affiliate WOOD reported. He'd had an enlarged heart, an autopsy found.

His wasn't the only sudden death among sports-playing U.S. high schoolers in the last two weeks. Matthew Hammerdorfer, 17, died playing rugby in Fort Collins, Colorado, due to cardiac arrest from a congenital heart defect. In North Carolina, 16-year-old Javaris Brinkley died of heart failure after playing basketball at a church Monday; he'd had a known heart condition, according to the Roanoke Rapids Daily Herald. And 17-year-old soccer and track star Sarah Landauer of Gainesville, Florida, collapsed at track practice; she died Wednesday, local news reports said; the cause of death has not yet been released.

Although four deaths in two weeks may seem like a lot, it's consistent with the national average for scholastic athletes, it does draw attention to questions that have been looming for years: Should there be more extensive health screenings before young people can participate in sports? And should schools be required to have defibrillators?

How can teen athlete deaths be prevented? - CNN.com

Is that the other kid I was talking about? I need more info to catch the inference.

Nice picture of Wes's brother hugging the boy who made the free throws that gave the team the win at the link.

Wes Leonard's team wins district championship

(AP) HOLLAND, Mich. - A Michigan high school basketball team has won a state district championship a week after one of its star players collapsed on the court and died.

Fennville High erased a 10-point deficit to beat Covert high 51-48 Friday night for a Class C district title. The win improved the Blackhawks' record to a perfect 23-0.

Wes Leonard's team wins district championship - CBS News

Forum List

Back