HP says in the PC Business

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
On Thursday, Ms. Whitman, H.P.’s chief executive, announced that the company would retain its PC division. The division, called the personal systems group, was responsible for almost one third, or $40 billion, of H.P.’s $126 billion in revenue in its last fiscal year.

“First and foremost, H.P. is a hardware company,” she said in an interview. “We want to build out our software, but I don’t think we are done yet on hardware. There is a lot of opportunity.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/28/technology/hp-chief-says-pc-division-will-remain.html

Somehow this comes as no surprise, when Meg Whitman took over as CEO it was sort of writing on the wall. While not owning an HP other than a printer personally, I see this as a good thing for the computer industry because it helps promote competetion. Perhaps one day, dare I say, it they might even being Bill Hewlett's and Dave Packards company back to where it started here in this nation to revive a long dead domestic PC industry.

Now if they would only get rid of their bloatware division........ :eusa_whistle:

It's sad to see what has happened with HP within the last five years.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79vdlEcWxvM]Monty Python Philosophy Football - YouTube[/ame]

^ Two HP Divisions

I also read that they decided to stay in the tablet business too, personally am a big fan of their Laser printers and have never had an issue with one.

Swallow, HP long ago used to be name that mean "quality" and if you owned an HP, you owned something that meant it was well made. To me at least, many Americans are looking to recapture that, and if a company like HP let's say, started making for an example a high end "workstation" or PC that had a huge made in the USA on it, they would win a lot of customers. It's just a feeling I have but I have this feeling that many are looking for American made, and if a company like HP took advantage of that in a good way, I stress that, then they would win a huge market.

Swallow, HP long ago used to be name that mean "quality" and if you owned an HP, you owned something that meant it was well made. To me at least, many Americans are looking to recapture that, and if a company like HP let's say, started making for an example a high end "workstation" or PC that had a huge made in the USA on it, they would win a lot of customers. It's just a feeling I have but I have this feeling that many are looking for American made, and if a company like HP took advantage of that in a good way, I stress that, then they would win a huge market.

Almost all of my printers have been HP. The only complaint is my 10 year old 3-in-1 has no Win 7 drivers and they ain't gonna write em otherwise the thing still runs like a charm.
As for their computers...... desktops and laptops - hell no, desktops because I build my own and laptops because I know too many people who have had serious hardware issues with theirs.

Biggest issue HP had was buying Compaq - hate to say it, but Shallow is right, Carly screwed the pooch on that.

HP (3Com) switches are top notch, the blade servers are good, their VMWare strategy is solid. I think they've done a lot to rebound in recent years. I have a 1995 HP Netserver running my website, (Redhat) Now that's quality.

I know that this makes me want to run out and buy a new one TODAY!!
I am impressed by their commitment to being non-committal.

Almost all of my printers have been HP. The only complaint is my 10 year old 3-in-1 has no Win 7 drivers and they ain't gonna write em otherwise the thing still runs like a charm.
As for their computers...... desktops and laptops - hell no, desktops because I build my own and laptops because I know too many people who have had serious hardware issues with theirs.

Well you talked me into trying that, so am in the process of buying everything we talked about and am making that my little Christmas project, as for HP, I have 2 of their little wireless 1102 Laser printers which work great. I print a newsletter for all the old geezers like me on it and have never once had a problem with it.

Forum List

Back