Zone1 How we repair it: White Americans’ attitudes toward reparations

400 years of institutionalized racism?

Murray is a crank.
What happened to Negroes in the past does not influence their low test scores now. What happened to Jews for two thousand years does not cause them to test poorly now.

What does that supposed to mean?

Jews have succeeded despite the two thousand years of persecution you gloat about.
Not really. Most of history, Jews lived in Ghettos in Europe.

then they found either a country where they could pick on weaker people (Palestine) or a country that really didn't care about their religion (USA) and they could blend in with the rest of the white folks.

Sure it does.

Jews started scoring well when they blended in with the Goyim.
How did slavery and Jim Crow effect the Negro genome?

Jews started doing well when they were given half a chance.

When Negroes were given a chance in athletics they excelled. When they were given a chance and a half academically and professionally they continued to lag behind.

How did slavery and Jim Crow effect the Negro genome?

Genetics isn't destiny.

Jews started doing well when they were given half a chance.
Awesome, we should give blacks have a chance, see how that works out.

Jews did well in a place that didn't care about their religion. In places where they did care, (Europe) they did very poorly.

You should hear him carry on about Mormons. He is consumed with hate.
When I was nineteen years old two Mormon missionaries proselytized me for six months. I wanted to become a Mormon, but I approached my study of Mormonism with the belief that it alone of the various religions is open to a rational evaluation.

We cannot prove that Jesus rose from the dead after dying on the cross. We cannot prove that he did not. We cannot prove that the Angel Gabriel dictated the Koran to Mohammed. We cannot prove that he did not.

The Book of Mormon is either a detailed history of pre Columbian America from about 600 B.C. to 421 A.D. or it is not.

After a thorough investigation of Mormon claims I concluded that the Book of Mormon was not authentic, and that the presumed Book of Abraham was not translated from a manuscript written by Abraham, but a book that concerns ancient Egyptian deities, but says nothing about Abraham.

Nevertheless, the Mormon missionaries and I parted amicably. They responded well to having their beliefs refuted. This is something JoeB131 does not do.

Genetics isn't destiny.

Awesome, we should give blacks have a chance, see how that works out.
Negroes have had two generations to give any indication at all of being genetically equivalent to whites. They have not done so.

We have given Negroes plenty of chances. They excel in athletics, and usually fail intellectually.

When I was nineteen years old two Mormon missionaries proselytized me for six months. I wanted to become a Mormon, but I approached my study of Mormonism with the belief that it alone of the various religions is open to a rational evaluation.

We cannot prove that Jesus rose from the dead after dying on the cross. We cannot prove that he did not. We cannot prove that the Angel Gabriel dictated the Koran to Mohammed. We cannot prove that he did not.

The Book of Mormon is either a detailed history of pre Columbian America from about 600 B.C. to 421 A.D. or it is not.

After a thorough investigation of Mormon claims I concluded that the Book of Mormon was not authentic, and that the presumed Book of Abraham was not translated from a manuscript written by Abraham, but a book that concerns ancient Egyptian deities, but says nothing about Abraham.

Nevertheless, the Mormon missionaries and I parted amicably. They responded well to having their beliefs refuted. This is something JoeB131 does not do.
You don't have to hate everyone you disagree with or because they are successful where you have failed.

You are ripping off whoever is retarded enough to pay you for your crap.
He probably has a computer program that does all the work. The people who are foolish enough to pay him could probably buy the program cheaper than paying for his services.

People hate other groups/races etc., because the haters are pitiably ignorant and believe absolutely stupid claims about them.
I grew up in an area where whites were a small minority. You name the ethnic group or nationality, and it was there. What I learned was that race, religion or nationality have nothing at all to do with character. There are good and bad people in every group.

You don't have to hate everyone you disagree with or because they are successful where you have failed.
Joe disagrees. He is nasty piece of work. I try to be polite to him. He interprets my courtesy as cowardliness.

Joe disagrees. He is nasty piece of work. I try to be polite to him. He interprets my courtesy as cowardliness.
Joe doesn't live in the real world. He still insists that Rittenhouse was a murderer and Treyvon Martin was an innocent victim of the racist George Zimmerman.

How we repair it: White Americans’ attitudes toward reparations​

The United States is again at a crossroads of racial reckoning. The death of George Floyd and the 2020 summer of protests for racial justice added new urgency to ongoing discussions about the legacy of slavery and its contemporary implications for the lives of Black Americans. A key question at the root of this discussion is: how do we repair the harm – economic, physical, and psychological — caused to Black lives by slavery, Jim Crow, redlining, police brutality, and other manifestations of systemic racism?

The United States has used reparations—targeted initiatives intended to concretely repair a harm against a person or persons resulting from the collective action of others—as a means of acknowledging and atoning for its role in other atrocities, including the internment of Japanese Americans and the forced removal and destruction of six indigenous communities: the Ottawas of Michigan, the Chippewas of Wisconsin, the Seminoles of Florida, the Sioux of South Dakota, the Klamaths of Oregon, and the Alaska Natives.

i am not sure how reparations could be paid or administered fairly, or that any amount of money would compensate the families and victims of slavery/jim crow and the other atrocities for real ( much less punative) damages. )

after 200 years? with compound interest? there is not enough money in the world. perhaps some form of homesteading pr educational preferences could help, but getting the children of famine irish and sicilian peasants to pay the bills of plantation owners opens new questions of fairness.
Those families of Irish and Sicilian peasants were some of the ones discriminating againt blacks during Jim Crow and also were eligible and did receive government assistance in various New Deal and GI Bill programs that blacks were excluded from or denied.

Here is an example.

“In the early years of immigration the poor Irish and blacks were thrown together, very much part of the same class competing for the same jobs. In the census of 1850, the term mulatto appears for the first time due primarily to inter-marriage between Irish and African Americans. The Irish were often referred to as Negroes turned inside out and Negroes as smoked Irish. A famous quip of the time attributed to a black man went something like this: "My master is a great tyrant, he treats me like a common Irishman." Free blacks and Irish were viewed by the Nativists as related, somehow similar, performing the same tasks in society. It was felt that if amalgamation between the races was to happen, it would happen between Irish and blacks. But, ultimately, the Irish made the decision to embrace whiteness, thus becoming part of the system which dominated and oppressed blacks. Although it contradicted their experience back home, it meant freedom here since blackness meant slavery.

An article by a black writer in an 1860 edition of the Liberator explained how the Irish ultimately attained their objectives: "Fifteen or twenty years ago, a Catholic priest in Philadelphia said to the Irish people in that city, 'You are all poor, and chiefly laborers, the blacks are poor laborers; many of the native whites are laborers; now, if you wish to succeed, you must do everything that they do, no matter how degrading, and do it for less than they can afford to do it for.' The Irish adopted this plan; they lived on less than the Americans could live upon, and worked for less, and the result is, that nearly all the menial employments are monopolized by the Irish, who now get as good prices as anybody. There were other avenues open to American white men, and though they have suffered much, the chief support of the Irish has come from the places from which we have been crowded."

Once the Irish secured themselves in those jobs, they made sure blacks were kept out. They realized that as long as they continued to work alongside blacks, they would be considered no different. Later, as Irish became prominent in the labor movement, African Americans were excluded from participation. In fact, one of the primary themes of How the Irish Became White is the way in which left labor historians, such as the highly acclaimed Herbert Gutman, have not paid sufficient attention to the problem of race in the development of the labor movement.

The same Irish and Sicilians have paid for all other reparations that have been paid in America.

Forum List

Back