How We Know Republicans Are Responsible For The Shutdown

There were suggestions made by the GOP during the write up of this legislation.
The DNC wanted no part of it. They had the power and it was their way or no way.

If we could have taken our time and really negotiated a plan that worked for everyone, we could be in a much better place than this, "We must pass it so we know what's in it" bullshit.

That's not the way I recall it going down. I think Obama wanted something like Medicare for all and in the seemingly endless rounds of negotiations (which I thought the Dems were way more amenable to the Republicans than they needed to be) we got what we have now.

You don't remember the locked meeting rooms or the darkened chambers?
:eusa_shifty:

I'm sure the public was kept out of the negotiation process but no, I don't remember Republicans being excluded.

What is the GOP health reform plan that everyone has heard of?

NOTHING!!!!

Have your health insurance costs gone up way faster than inflation for over a decade now? Here is what the GOP has proposed to help you: NOTHING!!!!

Did you come down with a catastrophic illness and get wiped out financially? Here is what the GOP has proposed to help you: NOTHING!!!!

Note to GOP: The American people feel ObamaCare is better than NOTHING!!!!

The GOP has deluded itself into believing the American people don't like ObamaCare, and that is because they don't ask the right questions. Ask them if they like it better than NOTHING!!!!

The DNC wanted no part of it. They had the power and it was their way or no way.

If we could have taken our time and really negotiated a plan that worked for everyone, we could be in a much better place than this, "We must pass it so we know what's in it" bullshit.

Sure there were dude. Sure there were. Then what were they. What were the Republican ideas that were so good and why did or would the Democrats reject them. I followed along pretty closely and I can't seem to recall those "ideas".

Guess the Repubs didn't feel strongly enough about those good ideas. Cause they sure didn't go out and sell the public on the idea that they, Repubs, were strengthening Obamacare and the Dems would go along with it.

Nah don't remember that happening.

I do remember 41, or is it 43, votes to eliminate Obamacare. Yea I remember those. Along with a bunch of other bullshit directed toward Obamacare.

But improving it by Repubs? I don't remember that.

Why didn't we see a SINGLE republican health reform bill during the Bush years?

Why STILL TODAY there is no concrete, agreed upon, Republican Health Reform bill?

That's not the way I recall it going down. I think Obama wanted something like Medicare for all and in the seemingly endless rounds of negotiations (which I thought the Dems were way more amenable to the Republicans than they needed to be) we got what we have now.

I think you may be confusing that with the vote for Part D of the Prescription Drug Program. You know, where Repubs had to twist arms till 3am to get the votes they needed to pass that costly unpaid for Republican bill.

NOTHING!!!!

Have your health insurance costs gone up way faster than inflation for over a decade now? Here is what the GOP has proposed to help you: NOTHING!!!!

Did you come down with a catastrophic illness and get wiped out financially? Here is what the GOP has proposed to help you: NOTHING!!!!

The GOP has deluded itself into believing the American people don't like ObamaCare, and that is because they don't ask the right questions. Ask them if they like it better than NOTHING!!!!

Sometimes nothing is better than something.... of course, we wouldn't expect an Obama bootlicker such as yourself to understand this.

NOTHING!!!!

Sure there were dude. Sure there were. Then what were they. What were the Republican ideas that were so good and why did or would the Democrats reject them. I followed along pretty closely and I can't seem to recall those "ideas".

Guess the Repubs didn't feel strongly enough about those good ideas. Cause they sure didn't go out and sell the public on the idea that they, Repubs, were strengthening Obamacare and the Dems would go along with it.

Nah don't remember that happening.

I do remember 41, or is it 43, votes to eliminate Obamacare. Yea I remember those. Along with a bunch of other bullshit directed toward Obamacare.

But improving it by Repubs? I don't remember that.

Opening borders was the main thing. It would have made pricing more competitive.
Tort reform is the old standby and, honestly, is pretty lame because lawyers aren't going to go after lawyers.
That's just the first 2 that pop in my head

Let's see what Google has to say:

Republican Health Care Plan Unveiled

Republican ideas for Health Care Reform | Obama the President

Like I said, we could have taken our time but Obama couldn't risk waiting until he lost his super-majority to pass what he wanted....now he owns it, for better for worse

I think you may be confusing that with the vote for Part D of the Prescription Drug Program. You know, where Repubs had to twist arms till 3am to get the votes they needed to pass that costly unpaid for Republican bill.

Actually, to my chagrin it was the mortgage fiasco that Dems locked out Repubs and it was energy that the Dems turned out the lights on Repubs

But the Repubs are the obstructionists
:thup:

If Boehner believed in democracy, he would call a vote right now on the clean funding bill approved by the Senate.

But Republicans don't believe in democracy.

Here in Virginia they wouldn't even let their own supporters vote in a primary.

Last edited:

I'm sure the public was kept out of the negotiation process but no, I don't remember Republicans being excluded.

Here is a little guide down memory lane, just let me know if any of this begins to look familiar to you.

WASHINGTON — House and Senate Democrats intend to bypass traditional procedures when they negotiate a final compromise on health care legislation, officials said Monday, a move that will exclude Republican lawmakers and reduce their ability to delay or force politically troubling votes in both houses.

Dems to bypass tradition on final health deal - Health - Health care | NBC News

Washington (CNN) -- Top Democrats are prepared to short-circuit the traditional legislative process and exclude their Republican counterparts during final congressional health care deliberations

Senior sources: Democrats set to exclude GOP from final health care deliberations - CNN.com

2010 Complete Election Coverage:
The Blue Dogs bark

By GLENN THRUSH & PATRICK O'CONNOR | 2/5/09 4:29 AM EDT

“I got in terrible trouble with our leadership because they don’t care what’s in the bill; they just want it to pass and they want it to be unanimous,” Tennessee Rep. Jim Cooper, the member deepest in Pelosi’s doghouse, told a Nashville radio program over the weekend.

“We’re just told how to vote. We’re treated like mushrooms most of the time.”

The Blue Dogs bark - Glenn Thrush and Patrick O'Connor - POLITICO.com

Democrats are punting on the August health care deadline
By CARRIE BUDOFF BROWN & ALEX ISENSTADT | 7/23/09 1:03 PM EDT

Congressional leaders have all but given up on passing health care reform before an August deadline, and Democrats in both chambers of Congress engaged in heated closed-door meetings Thursday as they struggled to find consensus on President Barack Obama’s top priority.

“Don’t think we are so desperate, we are not going to fall into line,” Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-W.V.) said, describing the message Democrats delivered to Baucus. “I’m not allowed into the meetings, the real meetings they have, what they call the coalition of the willing. It is a really, really bad way to try and develop support and ideas. So the whole philosophy is if we can get these three Republicans, we can call it bipartisan, but I don’t think any of you are going to think it is particularly bipartisan.”

In the House, Majority Whip Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.) conceded that House Democrats had held a “contentious" closed-door session on Thursday morning, the day after Obama increased the pressure on Congress to get something done on health care. Clyburn, bucking the notion that they should delay action until the fall, said Congress postpone the August break until they pass a sweeping health care reform bill.

Democrats are punting on the August health care deadline - Carrie Budoff Brown and Alex Isenstadt - POLITICO.com

Here is a little guide down memory lane, just let me know if any of this begins to look familiar to you.

2010 Complete Election Coverage:
The Blue Dogs bark

By GLENN THRUSH & PATRICK O'CONNOR | 2/5/09 4:29 AM EDT

“I got in terrible trouble with our leadership because they don’t care what’s in the bill; they just want it to pass and they want it to be unanimous,” Tennessee Rep. Jim Cooper, the member deepest in Pelosi’s doghouse, told a Nashville radio program over the weekend.

“We’re just told how to vote. We’re treated like mushrooms most of the time.”

The Blue Dogs bark - Glenn Thrush and Patrick O'Connor - POLITICO.com

Congressional leaders have all but given up on passing health care reform before an August deadline, and Democrats in both chambers of Congress engaged in heated closed-door meetings Thursday as they struggled to find consensus on President Barack Obama’s top priority.

“Don’t think we are so desperate, we are not going to fall into line,” Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-W.V.) said, describing the message Democrats delivered to Baucus. “I’m not allowed into the meetings, the real meetings they have, what they call the coalition of the willing. It is a really, really bad way to try and develop support and ideas. So the whole philosophy is if we can get these three Republicans, we can call it bipartisan, but I don’t think any of you are going to think it is particularly bipartisan.”

In the House, Majority Whip Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.) conceded that House Democrats had held a “contentious" closed-door session on Thursday morning, the day after Obama increased the pressure on Congress to get something done on health care. Clyburn, bucking the notion that they should delay action until the fall, said Congress postpone the August break until they pass a sweeping health care reform bill.

Democrats are punting on the August health care deadline - Carrie Budoff Brown and Alex Isenstadt - POLITICO.com

What I remember happening before these final negotiations was that Obama was trying to be be inclusive towards the Republicans. I just wanted him to nut up and rub these dipshits noses in the mess they'd created during the Bush debacle. I'd probably stopped paying very close attention toward the end of the negotiations just because it seemed to drag on so endlessly and I think it dragged on endlessly because the Republicans would not allow themselves to be engaged. I've stopped being much of a fan of Obama but I will say that if the Republicans were finally left out towards the end, then fuck 'em.

What I remember happening before these final negotiations was that Obama was trying to be be inclusive towards the Republicans. I just wanted him to nut up and rub these dipshits noses in the mess they'd created during the Bush debacle. I'd probably stopped paying very close attention toward the end of the negotiations just because it seemed to drag on so endlessly and I think it dragged on endlessly because the Republicans would not allow themselves to be engaged. I've stopped being much of a fan of Obama but I will say that if the Republicans were finally left out towards the end, then fuck 'em.

Actually Nancy Pelosi was battling those blue dog Democrats as they were very resistant to getting on board to get those votes she needed. She already knew there was no way that the Republucans were going to go for this and she didn't need their votes to get it passed, although her thought of finding one or two Republicans was to give the "appearance" of this being bipartisan bill.

Forum List

Back