How To Have A Productive Discussion

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
(1) State facts
(2) State opinions, BUT, specify that it is your opinion (explaining why is helpful)
(3) State evidences and supports to your statements
...lastly

(4) DON'T MAKE ANYTHING PERSONAL OR NEGATIVE!... why? because it puts the person on the defensive and then the discussion goes off the rails.

It might not be as much fun, but you might actually get somewhere!

(1) State facts
(2) State opinions, BUT, specify that it is your opinion (explaining why is helpful)
...lastly

(4) DON'T MAKE ANYTHING PERSONAL OR NEGATIVE!... why? because it puts the person on the defensive and then the discussion goes off the rails.

That is pretty much the model I always try to follow.

What I run into is that liberals think that calling someone a "Racist" is stating a "fact" and "supporting evidence", and don't understand why regular people take it as an uncalled for insult.

(1) State facts
...lastly

easiest way is to have me on ignore

(1) State facts
...lastly

I do...

(1) State facts
...lastly

You are on the wrong message board

(1) State facts
...lastly

Do you think you could try to do what she suggests? Or do you just consider it impossible?

(1) State facts
...lastly

Do you think you could try to do what she suggests? Or do you just consider it impossible?

Actually, when I first came on USMB I tried to follow that advice

It lasted about ten days and then I realized USMB was more about partisan politics and talking smack. I do try to reply seriously on threads that take themselves seriously
But most posters today just want to talk some smack....so I'm in for it

(1) State facts
...lastly

It lasted about ten days and then I realized USMB was more about partisan politics and talking smack. I do try to reply seriously on threads that take themselves seriously

Not that I've seen, not for a long time.

(1) State facts
...lastly

Why, here is one from just this morning

President's handling of Harvey

(1) State facts
...lastly

I do...
Then again....

Basically a productive discussion requires a respect for someone else's right to express their opinion, however base or misguided it may be. Not that you agree with a single word that was written, but the other person has a perfect right to post whatever they want, subject of course to the USMB rules. And there's no doubt there are many base and misguided posts around here, so I think first of all we've got to make a determination up front if you want to have a productive discussion:

First, is the post worth responding to. Most of the time you can tell when a post or thread is not intended to start a productive discussion but instead is an invitation to a verbal fight. No doubt the mods will eventually delete the post or find the thread and move it to a more suitable environment, but is it worth your time?

Then you've got to decide if the post has any salient points that you want to expand on or oppose, and if it does then make your response. But - do so without insulting the post or the poster. Calling somebody an idiot or characterizing their post as garbage is hardly the way to engender an intelligent discussion. If you find yourself fighting the urge to say exactly that then the chances are you're better off not responding at all IF your intention is to engage in a meaningful discussion. Be calm, be rational, be logical, and be cogent.

A productive discussion is worth having; it's challenging and you learn stuff. Nothing wrong though with a good old-fashioned verbal bar room brawl where the insults fly. It's kinda fun to read in the proper setting, I'm not creative or mean enough to do it well myself, but I do appreciate the talent that some around here have in that regard.

(1) State facts
...lastly

I hate it, but when I get mad it can be serious, I don't like play fighting

(1) State facts
...lastly

Remind me not to piss you off.

(1) State facts
...lastly

Oh, I should have been more clear.

I have not seen evidence that you try to reply seriously on serious threads.

(1) State facts
...lastly

I can't take much of what is posted here seriously

Oh, I should have been more clear.

I have not seen evidence that you try to reply seriously on serious threads.

I just have difficulty taking your posts seriously.....you are so partisan and just take things too hard

Forum List

Back