How to Avoid a Discussion on the Race Relations Forum

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
This is a curious forum in that almost no one who posts here is interested in a discussion.

Monologue, lecture, insult, venting, emoting, and lying seem to make up 99% of what goes on here.

I'm interested in discussing race relations with the goal of fostering a better understanding of the state of race relations today in the United States and how we got here. Although it would probably be more honest to state that I'm interested [edit] in debating the issues than merely discussing them.

Last edited:
31706543_2101650586719512_8578318822883196928_n.jpg

I'm interested in discussing race relations with the goal of fostering a better understanding of the state of race relations today in the United States and how we got here. Although it would probably be more honest to state that I'm interesting in debating the issues than merely discussing them.

The time to debate the subject is long past. Honest discussion is the only thing that might yield results. I'm not sure many are willing to do that.

The time to debate the subject is long past.
Why do you believe this?

I looked into the difference between discussing an issue and debating it and I think the following fairly covers things for the most part:

Socratic Seminar as Dialogue vs. Debate
The best Socratic Seminars are those in which something new and unexpected is discovered. This happens
when the seminar is approached as a joint search or exploration through dialogue rather than a defense of ideas

upload_2018-5-29_9-23-35.png

Why do you believe this?

I looked into the difference between discussing an issue and debating it and I think the following fairly covers things for the most part:
The best Socratic Seminars are those in which something new and unexpected is discovered. This happens
when the seminar is approached as a joint search or exploration through dialogue rather than a defense of ideas

Your list is exactly why I say time for debate is long gone. Confrontation hasn't and won't do any good. It might be entertaining, but it won;t solve our problems.

After posting this I went back to review it and realized I don't agree with a portion of the items on the Debate side (in blue) although there is a particular poster whom meets just about every single item listed (and he's not the OP). So how's this for a compromise?

upload_2018-5-29_15-31-57.png

After posting this I went back to review it and realized I don't agree with a portion of the items on the Debate side (in blue) although there is a particular poster whom meets just about every single item listed (and he's not the OP). So how's this for a compromise?

View attachment 195807

You can't have your own personal definitions. Those things are known results of debate.

Why do you believe this?

Your list is exactly why I say time for debate is long gone. Confrontation hasn't and won't do any good. It might be entertaining, but it won;t solve our problems.

MLK used a method of direct confrontation that was non violent. It worked. It's the only thing that has ever worked.

Why do you believe this?

MLK used a method of direct confrontation that was non violent. It worked. It's the only thing that has ever worked.

No, it’s not.

You can't have your own personal definitions. Those things are known results of debate.
Why would you insinuate that I am trying to come up with my own personal definitions when I indicated that I researched the difference between discussion & debate and then attempted to find a less confrontational and more acceptable compromise between the two?

Why would you insinuate that I am trying to come up with my own personal definitions when I indicated that I researched the difference between discussion & debate and then attempted to find a less confrontational and more acceptable compromise between the two?

Might have something to do with you marking through half of the things that denote debate in your little chart.

Why do you believe this?

Yes he did . And with all due respect, I believe that the missing component to his movement was confusing friendship with equal access, which prompted far too many black people to be duped into the belief that integration was the same as a real partnership, which for the most part wrecked economic independence in black communities, due to the illusion that eating and shopping in a formerly "white only" establishments was in some way an
"honor"over patronizing black owned businesses.

The focus should have been equal access to build generational wealth in existing black communtities that had established businesses.

Why do you believe this?

Yes he did . And with all due respect, I believe that the missing component to his movement was confusing friendship with equal access, which prompted far too many black people to be duped into the belief that integration was the same as a real partnership, which for the most part wrecked economic independence in black communities, due to the illusion that eating and shopping in a formerly "white only" establishments was in some way an
"honor"over patronizing black owned businesses.

The focus should have been equal access to build generational wealth in existing black communtities that had established businesses.

I agree. And I do think that had he lived he was moving towards the things you say. However I, like you, believe he should have integrated that in his strategy early on.

Why do you believe this?

No, it’s not.

Actually it is.

This is a curious forum in that almost no one who posts here is interested in a discussion.

Monologue, lecture, insult, venting, emoting, and lying seem to make up 99% of what goes on here.
You start first and see who shows he is classless. What’s the subject you want to discuss? Affirmative action? BLM?
Why don’t you express an opinion first and we will react.

Ps. Aren’t most of your threads designed to get other people to respond and then all you ever come back with are insulting one liners?

It might be entertaining, but it won;t solve our problems.
Entertaining for whom?
How many posts and so far none of you have furthered the discussion. Enough with the pre debate. Let’s get it on. I’ll start.

Unkotare, who’s responsible for the ghettos? Blacks or whites?

Who’s to blame for the conditions in our inner cities?

What should the American government do to improve our ghettos?

Or does it have to happen internally?

I would love to know your opinions

Forum List

Back