How safe are you from identity theft?

CA95380

USMB Member
Jul 23, 2008
Central California
Yesterday morning, at approx. 10:30 AM (broad daylight) while I was shopping at a local shopping center I had my purse stolen from a shopping cart. By some jerk off! After spending most of the day getting my bank account closed, a new one opened, and making dozens of telephone calls to alert creditcard companies, and everyone else that I had to contact - I ended my day at the local police department to pick up a copy of the police report.

While at the police department I picked up a brochure titled ... Identity Theft.

How prepared are you to handle this if this crime of "theft" happens to you. It has been listed as a "theft" and not an "assult" because the jerk did not touch me, when "snactching my purse".

Take the quiz here ... Identity Theft IQ Test: Are You at Risk for Identity Theft?

I fell into this catagory of the quiz - before yesterday;
50-99 points - Your odds of being victimized are about average.

Last edited:
I am so sorry this happened to you granny! :(

I hope they catch the scumbag that did this to you. :evil:

Keep us posted!

And thank you for the ID Theft info!

Echo .... I did not get the guys license number, but there was another man in the parking lot that saw the guy running, and pointed out that he had jumped into a car so at least I did have the description of that available. It happen so quick, and he was speeding off I did not get a chance to get his license number, so ... we will see what happens. Probably nothing .... but it was indeed scary because our street address is printed on our checks that he stole.

The policeman called my bank from the scene to see if my debit card had been used already ... it had not .... but .... at most gas stations when you have a debit/creditcard all they need is your zip code (no ID is required when you use it at gas pump) ... which he had because that too was printed on the checks.

Plus ... my social security card WAS in my wallet. I had never thought about not having it in my purse.

Thanks for the concern.

Echo .... I did not get the guys license number, but there was another man in the parking lot that saw the guy running, and pointed out that he had jumped into a car so at least I did have the description of that available. It happen so quick, and he was speeding off I did not get a chance to get his license number, so ... we will see what happens. Probably nothing .... but it was indeed scary because our street address is printed on our checks that he stole.

The policeman called my bank from the scene to see if my debit card had been used already ... it had not .... but .... at most gas stations when you have a debit/creditcard all they need is your zip code (no ID is required when you use it at gas pump) ... which he had because that too was printed on the checks.

Plus ... my social security card WAS in my wallet. I had never thought about not having it in my purse.

Thanks for the concern.

You have some protection at home? Someone to stay with you? I would be worried about the address and the SS# thing too, man, again, I'm so sorry this happened to you!

Yeah .... my husband and I live in a Senior "gated" community .... but all that gates do is keep out honest people, right?

If my finances continue to dwindle as they have been for the last few years, I'm going to WISH somebody would steal my identity.

Maybe if I leave my identity running with the keys in it in a bad neighborhood?

Forum List

Back