Oliver North

RetiredGySgt

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
North Carolina
Oliver North was only convicted on 3 charges. None of which were misappropriation of Government funds.

According to Judge Walsh's final report:

Oliver L. North was "Indicted March 16, 1988, on 16 felony counts. After standing trial on 12, North was convicted May 4, 1989 of three charges: accepting an illegal gratuity, aiding and abetting in the obstruction of a congressional inquiry, and destruction of documents. He was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Gerhard A. Gesell on July 5, 1989, to a three-year suspended prison term, two years probation, $150,000 in fines and 1,200 hours community service. A three-judge appeals panel on July 20, 1990, vacated North's conviction for further proceedings to determine whether his immunized testimony influenced witnesses in the trial. The Supreme Court declined to review the case. Judge Gesell dismissed the case September 16, 1991, after hearings on the immunity issue, on the motion of Independent Counsel."

Oliver North - SourceWatch

And from reading that it would appear those convictions were vacated.

vacated or not, oliver north should be sitting in a fucking jail cell right this moment. Justice was not served when all it comes down to is who you know.

The mob treats dedicated fall guys with as much vigorous support..

Wikipedia said:
North came into the public spotlight due to his participation in the Iran-Contra Affair, in which he was the chief coordinator of the sale of weapons via intermediaries to Iran, with the profits being channeled to the Contras in Nicaragua. He was responsible for the establishment of a covert network used for the purposes of aiding the Contras. U.S. funding of the Contras by appropriated funds spent by intelligence agencies had been prohibited by the Boland Amendment. Funding was facilitated through Palmer National Bank of Washington, D.C. It was founded in 1983 by Harvey McLean, Jr., a businessman from Shreveport, Louisiana. It was initially funded with $2.8 million dollars to McLean from Herman K. Beebe. Oliver North used this bank during the Iran-Contra scandal by funneling money from his shell organization, the "National Endowment for the Preservation of Liberty", through Palmer National Bank to the Contras.

According to the National Security Archive, in an August 23, 1986 e-mail to John Poindexter, Oliver North described a meeting with a representative of Panamanian President Manuel Noriega: "You will recall that over the years Manuel Noriega in Panama and I have developed a fairly good relationship", North writes before explaining Noriega's proposal. If U.S. officials can "help clean up his image" and lift the ban on arms sales to the Panamanian Defense Force, Noriega will "'take care of' the Sandinista leadership for us."

North tells Poindexter that Noriega can assist with sabotage against the Sandinistas, and suggests paying Noriega a million dollars cash; from "Project Democracy" funds raised from the sale of U.S. arms to Iran – for the Panamanian leader's help in destroying Nicaraguan economic installations.[5]

What a nice guy.

*Bold indicates "doublethink" switch must be on.

Wikipedia said:
During the early and mid 1980s, Lt. Colonel North was alleged to participate in organizing the transportation of cocaine and marijuana from the various sites in Central and South America into the United States as a means of funding the Contra rebels. Congressional records show North was tasked with finding funding “outside the CIA” after the Boland Amendment cut off funding for the Contras in October, 1984.[9] Declassified interviews taken during Independent Counsel Lawrence Walsh's investigation into Iran-Contra, as well as North’s handwritten journal entries, detail an extensive operation involving civilian and military personnel from the U.S. and various Central American countries.

On February 10, 1986, Robert Owen, North’s liaison with the Contras, wrote North regarding a plane being used to carry "humanitarian aid" to the Contras that was previously used to transport drugs. The plane belonged to the Miami-based company Vortex, which is run by Michael Palmer, one of the largest marijuana traffickers in the United States. Despite Palmer's long history of drug smuggling, Palmer receives over $300,000 from the Nicaraguan Humanitarian Aid Office (NHAO) -- an office overseen by Oliver North, Assistant Secretary of State for Inter-American Affairs Elliott Abrams, and CIA officer Alan Fiers -- to ferry supplies to the Contras.[10]

Geeeez, how is this guy NOT on the walls of the Sisitine Chapel?

What a nice guy.

*Bold indicates "doublethink" switch must be on.

Geeeez, how is this guy NOT on the walls of the Sisitine Chapel?

Ya cause anyone alleged to have done something by a partisan witch hunt must have done it, right? Remind me again when he was tried and convicted on that charge?

Oliver north is a goddamn criminal

vacated or not, oliver north should be sitting in a fucking jail cell right this moment. Justice was not served when all it comes down to is who you know.

Oliver North did as he was told. Anyone that thinks a LtCol in the US Marine Corps has the power to do what North was accused of needs to see me about buying some land.

Wht it comes down to is Oliver North captured the attention of a nation with his steadfast refusal to implicate his seniors.

It's easy to sit here and judge. Wait until you are given an unlawful, but morally correct order before judging someone in such a harsh manner. Everything's not so simple when you're out there.

Oliver North did as he was told. Anyone that thinks a LtCol in the US Marine Corps has the power to do what North was accused of needs to see me about buying some land.

Wht it comes down to is Oliver North captured the attention of a nation with his steadfast refusal to implicate his seniors.

It's easy to sit here and judge. Wait until you are given an unlawful, but morally correct order before judging someone in such a harsh manner. Everything's not so simple when you're out there.

Was it morally correct gunny? i don't know much about the iran contra affair...

Care

I think he was a patriotic American who did illegal things that he thought (or knew) were supported by higher ups his chain of command.

He was, and he knew he was, their palusible deniability fall guy.

The man has stones!

I object to what he did, but I understand why he did it, and think his motive was pure even if his methods were not.

dude, AGAIN, mobster patsies who refuse to roll over on their bosses could use the same excuse. Oliver North is exactly why justice in the US looks better in a textbook then it does in application. He is not required to uphold UNLAWFUL orders, eh? I mean, i've never been in the military but if your commanding officer told you to kill his neighbor would you be bound to do it? As far as MORALLY correct... well, thats a political opinion that Che Guevera could have laughed at.

I think he was a patriotic American who did illegal things that he thought (or knew) were supported by higher ups his chain of command.

He was, and he knew he was, their palusible deniability fall guy.

The man has stones!

I object to what he did, but I understand why he did it, and think his motive was pure even if his methods were not.

His motive was pure? He shielded the real criminal, the commander in chief, who NEGOTIATED WITH TERRORISTS holding Americans hostage and compensated them for their actions by selling them weapons and funneling the money to an international terrorist organization making most of its money by trafficking cocaine into the United States. But then again, Regan had a love of international terrorists so this is not surprising. What is surprising is that anyone would give these criminals the benefit of the doubt. Its kind of like when bin Laden was helping kill Russians... he and people like him got the benefit of the doubt.

Good grief, I thought lefties were all for negotiating with EVERYONE, including terrorists, because that's the way to reach them?

WTH? Oh, never mind..we're talking about lefties who change the goal posts according to who is doing what...

Once again for the slow. Oliver North did not say Reagan did it cause Reagan DIDN"T do it.

You guys really think the President of the US would confide in and depend on a Lt. Col. To do those things?

Marines adapt and over come. He did what a Marine always does, he accomplished his mission the best way he could. Even Admiral Poindexter said Reagan was not involved in the process.

I like how one is innocent till proven guilty unless they are a Republican.

Remind me again how Clinton is innocent of the things he was accused of out of Arkansas but Reagan is guilty of something everyone says he did not do. Lame as hell. But to be expected from you partisan hacks.

mobsters expect the same kind of resourcefulness too, homey.

agian, would you be so quick to rationalize the sale of nukes instead of guns to.. say, iran?

His motive was pure? He shielded the real criminal, the commander in chief, who NEGOTIATED WITH TERRORISTS holding Americans hostage and compensated them for their actions by selling them weapons and funneling the money to an international terrorist organization making most of its money by trafficking cocaine into the United States. But then again, Regan had a love of international terrorists so this is not surprising. What is surprising is that anyone would give these criminals the benefit of the doubt. Its kind of like when bin Laden was helping kill Russians... he and people like him got the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah, Reality, I understand that, maybe even better than you to, to be frank.

However it is absurd to take umbrage with me for imagining what was going on in North's head, amigo.

It is NOT a black and white world, you know?

Dutiful men do bad things for the right reasons, sometimes. A little mercy isn't totally inappropriate under those circumstances especially when we let the people really in charge off.

The North types are especially prone to doing those things like that when they are dedicated military types who imagine (or knew, more like) that what they are being asked to do comes from their commander-in-chief.

Now before you tell me that it doesn't matter, and that North should take the fall all by himself, consider that this is probably the same sort of guy who would bend the rules in the cause of somebody you or I DO think IS honorable, too, under a different POTUS.

Example: JFK tried to assassinate Fidel how many times? I didn't see anyone in his administration taking it on the neck for Robert and John's absurd (and sometimes criminally so) obsession with offing Fidel, or conducting a war of terror on Cuba.

So Reagan and Co (probably Bush I, but who really will ever know?) got away with it.

Icing the underlings while lauding the leaders of the conspiracy as heroic seems to me to be an even worse outcome for America than letting Ollie off the hook.

No9w if we truly lived in a world where every person KNEW that no chain of command could protect you from criminal activities, then I'd be calling for North's head.

But we most definitely do NOT live by those rules.

I think we should, but we don't.

Ya cause anyone alleged to have done something by a partisan witch hunt must have done it, right? Remind me again when he was tried and convicted on that charge?

Ok, if you want to say that the National Security Archive, Lawrence Walsh, Robert Owen, and North himself partisan hacks... Which I guess you'd be right to a degree...

But fine, you're right. Let's drop all the other things and go with what we know- he was partly in charge of an international terrorist organization that brutalized Nicaragua and distabilized all of Central America. Still pretty criminal, if that had ever been the issue.

Ok, if you want to say that the National Security Archive, Lawrence Walsh, Robert Owen, and North himself partisan hacks... Which I guess you'd be right to a degree...

But fine, you're right. Let's drop all the other things and go with what we know- he was partly in charge of an international terrorist organization that brutalized Nicaragua and distabilized all of Central America. Still pretty criminal, if that had ever been the issue.

Ohh but when those terrorists are people YOU like they are freedom fighters right? The Contra's were not terrorists. Plain and simple. Or if they were then all the groups YOU think are freedom fighters are also terrorists.

Further North was not in charge of the Contra's at all. He simply found ways to provide them arms, ammunition and supplies. But hey you stick with that claim he ran the Contra's.

People I like? Like who? Tell me one "freedom fighter" group that I like, again? I don't particularly agree with any armed movement that seeks to topple a democratically elected government. Do you?

The contras were UNIVERSALLY condemned by every single international human rights organization in Nicaragua in the 1980s. They were absolutely brutal. Tell me ONE reason why the Contras weren't terrorists bu Al-Qaeda is? That they didn't blow up a building in the US? That YOUR government supported them? They were the lowest possible scum to grace this sub-continent, they murdered, pillaged, plundered, rampant torture, raped women and children, assassinated government functionaries and religious leaders. And to establish what? Another Somozista regime? The sandinistas might've been bumbling idiots and ended up being corrupt as well, but never on any level CONCIEVABLY comparable to Tacho and Tachito, who repressed and murdered who knows how many people in their 50 year militarist dictatorial reign, and robbed Nicaragua to the point of perpetual underdevelopment. These are some sick people you're trying to defend, Sargeant.

Forum List

Back