How much would it take to make you feel rich?

How much would it take to make you feel rich?

• Total voters
The key word is 'feel,' for some there is never enough. As someone noted above, a meaningless but highly emphatic conversation with our granddaughter - last one it seems - all smiles, halting chuckles, and more jabbering. Happiness is often meaningless. We are already rich in material things, a long life of journeys would be added riches, anyone drive the Cali coast, Nova Scotia, PEI, backroads of Mississippi, walk Paris where Camus wrote, wander through Thomas Wolfe's home, scat mosquitoes on the Eastern shore, drive Wyoming's Rt212 - There riches lie, along with grandchildren who grow too quickly.

"The materialistic and selfish quality of contemporary life is not inherent in the human condition. Much of what appears natural today dates from the 1980s: the obsession with wealth creation, the cult of privatization and the private sector, the growing disparities of rich and poor. And above all, the rhetoric which accompanies these: uncritical admiration for unfettered markets, disdain for the public sector, the delusion of endless growth." Tony Judt 'Ill Fares the Land'

Last edited:
1 million isn't a lot of money these days, so I settled for 5 million.

You are correct.

With the median income near $50k a year, in 20 years you will make a million.

So anyone that picks a million will be broke in 20 years. )assuming they don't keep working, which beats the "I'm rich" idea(

Yeah but you don't actually HAVE a million in that scenario. Aren't you asking about money currently in possession? Making 50k for 20 years doesn't put 1 million in your possession unless you've been living for free and spending 0.

correct, but not my point.

At the median income, in 20 years you still won't be able to retire.
IF you take 1 million, in 20 years you will be broke.

in other words, you won't be rich

Probably most of us would accept a certain amount of money to be content, perhaps enough to live comfortably the rest of our lives. But the bigger question is, are there people that never have enough money and continue to try and acquire more and more money long after they had enough to live comfortably?

Yes. The same can be said for baseball cards and heirloom roses and souvenir shot glasses and...well...everything. Some people can't get enough of what they collect.

But it only seems to be bad when it's money.

You are correct.

With the median income near $50k a year, in 20 years you will make a million.

So anyone that picks a million will be broke in 20 years. )assuming they don't keep working, which beats the "I'm rich" idea(

Yeah but you don't actually HAVE a million in that scenario. Aren't you asking about money currently in possession? Making 50k for 20 years doesn't put 1 million in your possession unless you've been living for free and spending 0.

correct, but not my point.

At the median income, in 20 years you still won't be able to retire.
IF you take 1 million, in 20 years you will be broke.

in other words, you won't be rich

You know...........there have been times in my life growing up when I didn't know where my next meal was coming from, nor did I even have any faith that I would be living in the same house next week.

Currently? I have a roof over my head, a home to live in and get clean in, enough to eat, a couple of extras like internet and cable and a really nice racing bicycle.

Compared to when I was 5-8? I feel rich because of the security that I currently feel.

"Rich" is simply nothing more than a state of mind.

I already am,nice modest home,some land,me and my family are healthy,kids are good productive caring people,and our grandson tops the cake.

Richer than probley 90% of the world people.

Forum List

Back