How much Obama has really spent so far

But during an accounting argument, it’s useful to have real, live numbers to battle over. On the rare occasion Republicans do allude to real stats, they tend to shout about the growing short-term deficit, a problem that has a lot more to do with declining recession-era tax revenues and increasing safety-net outlays than anything Obama has done, or not done. Instead, Republicans should be referring to the amount the president has decided to spend so far: $884 billion. They can say it’s too much, and that a thriftier approach would’ve been better for the country. Democrats can reply that rescuing the U.S. economy from a second Great Depression for less than the price of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan was a relative bargain. Both sides, meanwhile, can debate the wisdom of cutting more than $900 billion in taxes while spending is going up. At least they’ll be arguing about facts, not fantasies.

Obama has slashed one tax dollar for every dollar he’s spent on government programs.

That’s a hefty sum of money. But here’s the interesting thing: Obama’s tax cuts have been even bigger. The first of them, $238 billion in cuts for taxpayers and businesses, came as part of the stimulus package. The second portion, $721 billion worth, arrived in December, again as part of Congress’ bipartisan tax compromise. Subtract $54 billion in forthcoming stimulus-related tax hikes, and you’ve got a grand total of $905 billion in tax cuts. In other words, Obama has slashed one tax dollar for every dollar he’s spent on government programs

God damn tax cuts!

Who does he think he is?

A better question would be how much did the Bush tax cuts cost the US Treasury?

Answer: $2.5 Trillion

But not to worry - what's left of the middle class will get that trickle down urine any minute now. It's all good.

Yet another lame-assed reframing of the "we haven't overspent, we've under-taxed" argument.

ho-hum.

You retards keep saying he has overspent so do us all a favor and prove it, otherwise quitr chimping out over facts you don't like being a damn cry baby.

How much Obama has really spent so far - Yahoo! News

I thought Obama just spent, spent and spent.

LMAO!

GEE, some useless Libtard, suckling up to Obama with a bullshit propaganda piece... LOL!!!

And you "people" called BUSHBOTS braindead know-nothing sheeple LOL!!!

I'm a conservative, just because I don't jump on the bandwagon and regurgitate rightwinger gospel and lies doesn't make me a damn libtard.

LOLOL!!! You're a Conservative...

But not to worry - what's left of the middle class will get that trickle down urine any minute now. It's all good.

Those tax cuts didn't cost the treasury anything. Americans were able to keep more of their money. :lol:

Don't bother. These folks don't understand, nor do they want to understand the interactions between taxation and national prosperity.

Just TAX TAX TAX (everybody else) and all will be fine.

Those tax cuts didn't cost the treasury anything. Americans were able to keep more of their money. :lol:

Incorrect. A cut in revenues to the US Treasury is a cut in revenues. And don't be so quick to suggest "Americans" were able to keep more of their money. Only the top 1% of these Americans realized substantial savings. The middle class got enough for a car payment, if they're were extremely lucky.

No amount of Newspeak or right wing dogma can challenge the fact today's top tax rate is half of what it was during Kennedy's time, and almost a third of Eisenhower's rate. Reagan started the ball rolling in the early eighties, and a dramatic acceleration of our wealth inequality followed immediately. We're now back in 1929 wealth distribution territory, and to believe that's nothing to worry about is foolish.

Don't bother. These folks don't understand, nor do they want to understand the interactions between taxation and national prosperity.

Just TAX TAX TAX (everybody else) and all will be fine.

Let's see some non-Heritage Foundation/non-Von Mises data illustrating tax cuts for the top 2% (or 1%) spur growth in GDP.

A tax cut does not cost anything.

It is merely revenue that the fucking government can't piss away, but the rub is they piss it away even if they don't have it.

It is merely revenue that the fucking government can't piss away, but the rub is they piss it away even if they don't have it.

If those taxes being cut had been funding govt programs/jobs they do cost someone something.

but as long as it is not you losingh anything I can understand your stance on this.
Everyone else shoud pay for the government.

If those taxes being cut had been funding govt programs/jobs they do cost someone something.

but as long as it is not you losingh anything I can understand your stance on this.
Everyone else shoud pay for the government.

Damn right I don't want to lose any more of my money to the fucking government. The more I keep, the more secure my family is.

Forum List

Back