How Military-Friendly Is Your Town?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
San Antonio tops the list of the 50 most military-friendly cities in the United States.

The roster was put together by G.I. Jobs magazine from among the nation’s 381 metropolitan areas, meaning only 12.5% of the nation’s cities made the cut.

Read more: How Military-Friendly Is Your Town? | TIME.com

How D.C. Made the list I'll never understand. Unless you're a major or above, you can't afford to live within 50 miles of the place. And my town, Las Vegas, didn't even make the list with the two big air bases here.

G.I. Jobs is owned by a corporation called Victory Media which seems to be in the consulting business. The survey may or may not be true but the term "friendly" is awkward at best. It's about jobs for Vets and if the jobs aren't there the consulting firm called Victory Media unfairly labels the communities as "unfriendly".

I remember being told of the barroom signs before I arrived: NO DOGS OR SOLDIERS.

I remember being told of the barroom signs before I arrived: NO DOGS OR SOLDIERS.

Maybe in the freaking Civil War or in France. It's unfair to judge a community to be unfriendly if there are no jobs for anyone much less Veterans.

I don't know how military friendly my town is, but I know the company I work for is very military friendly! When they hire, they will hire a Vet first, unless it's for a job that needs a lot of college and they have no training in it. But they're always hiring vets into the factory and other jobs. At Christmas they send out a LOT of packages to military that are deployed. They get a list of all the employees that have family deployed and make sure they send to them, then they send extras. The last couple years my son has been in the US at Christmas so wasn't eligible for the package, but they still sent him a nice Christmas card with a $50 Visa gift card inside! :)

I don't know how military friendly my town is, but I know the company I work for is very military friendly! When they hire, they will hire a Vet first, unless it's for a job that needs a lot of college and they have no training in it. But they're always hiring vets into the factory and other jobs. At Christmas they send out a LOT of packages to military that are deployed. They get a list of all the employees that have family deployed and make sure they send to them, then they send extras. The last couple years my son has been in the US at Christmas so wasn't eligible for the package, but they still sent him a nice Christmas card with a $50 Visa gift card inside! :)

Yeah?

What company is this Careoljo?

Surely you're not afraid to tell us.

If you are, WHY would you be?

Maybe in the freaking Civil War or in France. It's unfair to judge a community to be unfriendly if there are no jobs for anyone much less Veterans.

Saw those signs in San Francisco in '68-'68. "Friendly" isn't about jobs.

It's all about jobs. The Time article based on a "survey" by something called G.I. Jobs is about ...jobs for veterans. The firm uses no other criteria other than jobs to brand some communities less friendly than others regarding the US Military and I think it's unfair.

San Antonio tops the list of the 50 most military-friendly cities in the United States.

The roster was put together by G.I. Jobs magazine from among the nation’s 381 metropolitan areas, meaning only 12.5% of the nation’s cities made the cut.

How D.C. Made the list I'll never understand. Unless you're a major or above, you can't afford to live within 50 miles of the place. And my town, Las Vegas, didn't even make the list with the two big air bases here.

Why should ex military get preferential treatment anyway? I wouldn't blame a vet if he did take advantage of a hire vet program, don't turn down opportunity and all, but really, what makes a vet any different than anyone else?

Yeah?

What company is this Careoljo?

Surely you're not afraid to tell us.

If you are, WHY would you be?

It doesn't really matter what company it is.....and why would I lie about it? What's your problem with it?

Why should ex military get preferential treatment anyway? I wouldn't blame a vet if he did take advantage of a hire vet program, don't turn down opportunity and all, but really, what makes a vet any different than anyone else?

Service to nation should count for something, if some one with a degree gets preferential positioning for a job that the degree does not apply to why shouldnt military service?

There are tons of programs for Vets. The G.I. bill offers all sorts of government subsidized training. I question the accuracy of the alleged "survey" and I am offended by the callus labeling of communities based on job availability for Vets.

Forum List

Back