How Many Friends do You Have That Are Not Your Own Race?

What is you socially designated race and what you think your race is?

• I think of myself as black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Everyone says I am Hispanic racially, even though it is not a race

• Everyone says I am Asian

• Everyone says I am Polynesian

• I think of myself as Polynesian

• Everyone knows I am of a mixed race

• I know I am of mixed race

• Total voters

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
This old US News article is interesting. It says that 40% of white Americans, 25% of blacks and 10% of Hispanics (yes, Hispanics are not a race, but it is in the freaking report) do not have friends of a different race.

This led to a discussion with the wife and she pointed out that many people are more restrictive by what they mean when they say friend, so perhaps a better question would be how many people do you like to interact with socially who are of a different race? I asked her if Face Book friends count, and she said if you spend a lot of time interacting with them or not.

Then we realized how many people we interact with in games and discussion groups that are racially unknown. When she plays LOTRO she has no idea what the persons race is and racial disagreements never come out. (Hmm, wonder if there is something to that?)

Then I thought what about here? How many people do I like talking to here on USMB are not white?

So I decided to do a poll, and ask people what race they SELF IDENTIFY as. Sure you can lie if you want, but I am trying to make this as generic and multiple faceted as possible.

The choices start with what most people think you are racially and what you think you really are to be more precise.

Of course if you dont want to answer, dont it is no big deal, but I am wondering how much easier it is to get along with people when I dont know their race vrs when I do, but then again, I have never asked people what their races are until now.

This old US News article is interesting. It says that 40% of white Americans, 25% of blacks and 10% of Hispanics (yes, Hispanics are not a race, but it is in the freaking report) do not have friends of a different race.

This led to a discussion with the wife and she pointed out that many people are more restrictive by what they mean when they say friend, so perhaps a better question would be how many people do you like to interact with socially who are of a different race? I asked her if Face Book friends count, and she said if you spend a lot of time interacting with them or not.

Then we realized how many people we interact with in games and discussion groups that are racially unknown. When she plays LOTRO she has no idea what the persons race is and racial disagreements never come out. (Hmm, wonder if there is something to that?)

Then I thought what about here? How many people do I like talking to here on USMB are not white?

So I decided to do a poll, and ask people what race they SELF IDENTIFY as. Sure you can lie if you want, but I am trying to make this as generic and multiple faceted as possible.

The choices start with what most people think you are racially and what you think you really are to be more precise.

Of course if you dont want to answer, dont it is no big deal, but I am wondering how much easier it is to get along with people when I dont know their race vrs when I do, but then again, I have never asked people what their races are until now.
Obama and the Dummycraps want a more diverse demographic.
They think it is problematic that any race is in the majority.
So they want to kill off as many whites as they can....and bring here as many brown, yellow, and black folks as is humanly possible.
Then we will live in a wonderful Utopia where everyone is equally miserable.

So they want to kill off as many whites as they can....and bring here as many brown, yellow, and black folks as is humanly possible.
While I agree with your observation, I am not really tallking about politics here, but only how one identifies themselves racially and how many friends they have of another race.

How many nonwhite friends do you have (assuming that you are white, which is a poor assumption).

In RL do people think of you as a particular race?

I dont want you to say anything that makes you uncomfortable, so no problemo if you dont want to answer the question.

While I agree with your observation, I am not really tallking about politics here, but only how one identifies themselves racially and how many friends they have of another race.

How many nonwhite friends do you have (assuming that you are white, which is a poor assumption).

I dont want you to say anything that makes you uncomfortable, so no problemo if you dont want to answer the question.
I hate to break it to you, but how many you have shouldn't matter.
I think it is a ridiculous question.
Anyone who tries to answer it is just virtue-signalling.
No offense.

Lol....you and I and everyone with half a brain knows multiculturalism is ghey. In the end, it will become exceedingly clear in this country.....but ALOT of really bad shit will go down before it becomes clear to all.:eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

I try to be colorblind with how I treat other people. Funny thing, some people on this board say its racist to do that.

No offense.
Get Free Online Therapy. Should You Use Free Counseling? | BetterHelp

I have Extraterrestrial cheekbones, so all you humans are equally weird to me, well maybe Starkey is a little weirder

I've got 4 muslim friends, 5 black friends, 10 meskin friends, two chink friends and one oreo friend.

To me a person is a person first and foremost. I used to think colorblindness was the answer to racial problems, but due to time on political forums speaking to POC I’ve come to realize this can be... I don’t want to say hurtful... but maybe unproductive is the right word. This one woman told me that her black American status was central to who she was and the idea of colorblindness threatened her sense of self, which I took to heart and was very grateful to have received her feedback. This is not to say I believe race is the primary factor to consider in all situations (I’m vehemently against that mindset), but that acknowledgment of race isn’t necessarily a bad thing. She and I definitely had our disagreements but still she helped me to understand something that as a non-POC I’d never otherwise have understood.

Bottom line: treat others how you want to be treated, regardless of race. If you’re someone who makes assumptions about others based on their skin color, you ARE racist, and anyone who thinks either you can’t be racist against white people or POC can’t be racist... please, get real.

No offense.
Get Free Online Therapy. Should You Use Free Counseling? | BetterHelp
I think making a list of your black friends is racist.
I don't need counseling for that.

This one woman told me that her black American status was central to who she was and the idea of colorblindness threatened her sense of self, which I took to heart and was very grateful to have received her feedback. .

A person should be far more than merely their racial category. That your friend makes her race central to who she is I think is unhealthy and likely inhibits her from fullfilling her full potential as a human being, a child of God.

No offense.
I know it shouldnt matter, but I am curious. I have never asked before, but I wounder if online I am in that 40%.

I have no intention of virtue signalling as I obviously have no virtues.

Judge on character not skin color

i am not judging anyone, I am just curious.

I have never bothered to ask before and after reading that article I am wondering what the racial breakdown is of the people I have gotten along with here are.

Apparently you are white, but I dont know that for a fact and whats more how do you view yourself racially is interesting too.

Just because a person has light skin does not mean that they think of themselves as white.

Forum List

Back