How Is The Iraqi Constitution Coming?

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Annie, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Better. Links at site. (I've given the one to Iraq the Model, I think it important.)
    http://www.publiuspundit.com/?p=1400

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Fifth column, yep. Links at site:
    http://semirandomramblings.blogspot.com/2005/07/publius-notes-new-iraqi-bill-of-rights.html
    Friday, July 22, 2005

Publius notes the new Iraqi Bill of Rights looks much better than the last one. (h/t Instapundit)

Jeez, you’d think their first freedom-enshrining Constitution would be getting more press (did they have this problem in 1776?) Why is it we have to go to a non-media source for news that should be trumpeted across the front pages of every freedom-loving newspaper in the world?

Hmmm. Sadly, I’m starting to think “freedom-loving press” is an oxymoron, at least when we’re talking about someone’s freedom besides their own. This little puff piece seems a rather grotesque paean to the sadistic, tyrannical rapists and murderers that were Saddam’s sons. Like most media bias, it’s not even so much what it says (“fond memories of Uday and Qusay,” all reference to their vicious brutality assiduously omitted from mention – oh, and the guy who turned them in? a dirtbag), but just the fact that they’re reporting this crap (sorry, can’t come up with a more-fitting word) rather than the historic creation of a consensual, constitutional gov’t with defined individual liberties. Ho-hum, democracy and freedom being codified for 25 million people. Yawn. Hey, look! Some of Saddam's old followers miss the tyrant princes! Now that's news!

It’s bad enough the mainstream press often seems to think Fourth Estate actually means Fifth Column. But now they’re not just undermining the government or promoting an antiwar agenda, but even seem to have lost their respect for the very qualities that made America such a noble enterprise.

The great pamphleteer Tom Paine must be rolling over in his grave to see the state of printed discourse today. Based on his views, I'm guessing today he'd be a libertarian-leaning blogger -- and he'd still love America.

posted by TallDave