How important is an education to you?

G

Gabriella84

Did you feel the need to get a college degree, or did you feel high school (or even less) was enough? Have you found that your choice suits your needs?

I can look at this issue from both sides. My desired occupation requires a masters degree. Pretty much everyone in my family has at least a bachelors degree. My cousin Dahlia always hated school, so she never considered college. She now works in social services. My best friend Lauren also had trouble with school. Her best skills were inter-personal. She works as an aide at an assisted living community and enjoys it immensely.

Many people feel that their "life skills" make up for their lack of college education. In a lot of cases, they are right. But does that still hold true? Is the job market getting too competitive for high school graduates?

Gabriella84 said:
Did you feel the need to get a college degree, or did you feel high school (or even less) was enough? Have you found that your choice suits your needs?

I can look at this issue from both sides. My desired occupation requires a masters degree. Pretty much everyone in my family has at least a bachelors degree. My cousin Dahlia always hated school, so she never considered college. She now works in social services. My best friend Lauren also had trouble with school. Her best skills were inter-personal. She works as an aide at an assisted living community and enjoys it immensely.

Many people feel that their "life skills" make up for their lack of college education. In a lot of cases, they are right. But does that still hold true? Is the job market getting too competitive for high school graduates?

Gabby, may I call you that (it seems most here do refer to you in that regard), I can't get the gist of what you are saying.

It's quite clear that many posters here on the USMessageBoard lack critical, comprehensive and even basic discernment skills. But they do demonstrate apparently heart-felt and main stream media influenced opinions. That's the American way and I don't have a quarrel with it and neither should you. It has been this way since at least the revolutionary war, continued through the civil war and is quite appropriate and widespread today.

What you allude is not an educational issue. I think it more a personal failure although I wouldn't campaign on that ideology. Nobody wants to be called a loser. Most of us would rather sit comfortably in front of a TV, behind a newspaper, or listen to a radio broadcast and not be bothered by the intracacies of the subjects being discussed. Maybe what you are trying to say is that some lack an exposure experience that might be the origin of the educational allusion.

Education certainly opens our minds and attempts to create in us critical thinking skills. Some get it, some don't, but most don't care and would certainly rebel if accused of not taking advantage of the education they've received.

Personally, I think the objective of the "No Child Left Behind" Act intends to deny education for political objectives. I can discern no other objective for it when I view it's content, it's application, and the willingness of the current President to fund it. Good idea, maybe, but extremely poorly executed.

I think your question, however, addresses the higher levels of learning. I can't explain to you how much I've suffered under the decisions of MBA's, CPA's and other certified professionals. There's nothing as valuable, in my own opinion, as experience and involvement in political issues. Military experience runs a close second. Our present Commander-In Chief has an MBA. He has little to no real life political experience and his military experience I rank as only slightly above the endeavors of the sure-enough draft dodgers that escaped Viet Nam by migrating to Canada.

I think it's more attitude than education. I think it's more American Duty than education. I think it's more common sense than anything.

The "job" market is a different story. Corporatism has so overtaken our society that quality rarely matters now. $12 dollar shirts at WalMart that cost approximately 25 Cents to produce and last about 3 washings outsell $30 dollar shirts at independents that cost approxicately $12 dollars to produce and last literally for years. Where is the justice in this for the consumers? It's all in low price, bigger advertising budgets, brighter lights, and lower wages for US, the Americans that tend to patronize this self defeating practise. So, don't complain about it, OK? Americans, I assume you are one, create this for themselves. Get out and do something about it.

Psychoblues

:finger3: From the Revolutionary War to NCLB in a sentence. :cool:

If the preponderance of the board was led by MSM, they would not be overwhelmingly conservative-for better or worse.

Gabriella84 said:

To answer you question in your first paragraph, I finished the 9th grade and went into service and got my GED and went from there. Yes, it was enough for me, but my education has never stopped. (You can tell by my writing skills, or lack thereof) I feel that the world has become too technical for just a high school education. Even if a person was smart enough to do the job that the position called for, the employers will hire someone with "papers". I tried to made sure my kids had some college, but my 5th one has a high school only. The first 4 has very good careers and doing good because they have papers. The 5th one struggled for a while until he got into an apprenticeship program and now is a high voltage lineman. He goes in after a storm or some other calamity and repairs the lines. I feel that you need college to prepare yourself for your education.

Psychoblues said:
Gabby, may I call you that (it seems most here do refer to you in that regard), I can't get the gist of what you are saying.

It's quite clear that many posters here on the USMessageBoard lack critical, comprehensive and even basic discernment skills. But they do demonstrate apparently heart-felt and main stream media influenced opinions. That's the American way and I don't have a quarrel with it and neither should you. It has been this way since at least the revolutionary war, continued through the civil war and is quite appropriate and widespread today.

What you allude is not an educational issue. I think it more a personal failure although I wouldn't campaign on that ideology. Nobody wants to be called a loser. Most of us would rather sit comfortably in front of a TV, behind a newspaper, or listen to a radio broadcast and not be bothered by the intracacies of the subjects being discussed. Maybe what you are trying to say is that some lack an exposure experience that might be the origin of the educational allusion.

Education certainly opens our minds and attempts to create in us critical thinking skills. Some get it, some don't, but most don't care and would certainly rebel if accused of not taking advantage of the education they've received.

Personally, I think the objective of the "No Child Left Behind" Act intends to deny education for political objectives. I can discern no other objective for it when I view it's content, it's application, and the willingness of the current President to fund it. Good idea, maybe, but extremely poorly executed.

I think your question, however, addresses the higher levels of learning. I can't explain to you how much I've suffered under the decisions of MBA's, CPA's and other certified professionals. There's nothing as valuable, in my own opinion, as experience and involvement in political issues. Military experience runs a close second. Our present Commander-In Chief has an MBA. He has little to no real life political experience and his military experience I rank as only slightly above the endeavors of the sure-enough draft dodgers that escaped Viet Nam by migrating to Canada.

I think it's more attitude than education. I think it's more American Duty than education. I think it's more common sense than anything.

The "job" market is a different story. Corporatism has so overtaken our society that quality rarely matters now. $12 dollar shirts at WalMart that cost approximately 25 Cents to produce and last about 3 washings outsell $30 dollar shirts at independents that cost approxicately $12 dollars to produce and last literally for years. Where is the justice in this for the consumers? It's all in low price, bigger advertising budgets, brighter lights, and lower wages for US, the Americans that tend to patronize this self defeating practise. So, don't complain about it, OK? Americans, I assume you are one, create this for themselves. Get out and do something about it.

Psychoblues

WTF? Are you out of your mind?

Gabriella84 said:

Maybe I can answer your question more coherently.

I think it all depends on what you want to do "when you grown up" and what kind of "thing" you want when you get there.

You mention your best friend. I doubt, unless something bizarre happens, that she will never attain financial wealth. To a lot of people, job enjoyment and a roof over their head is what counts. Lauren enjoys her job and that is wonderful.

Obviously, someone who wants to be a surgeon (for whatever reason), has to go to college and more. Lawyers, teachers, etc...all fit into the same situation.

I know many people who don't have degrees but because of hard work, street smarts, a little luck, and more hard work, have attained both; financial security and job enjoyment. I have a friend who started in the insurance business as commission sales when he was 20. He is 38 now, owns his own insurance company with 3 offices. His business is worth over 10 million dollars; last year his take hom was 1.8 million dollars. And that is after paying most of his expenses out of the company.

College will give you a good base of learning. I would question some of the teacher's intent a lot of times. I think some professors have a tendency to further their personal/political agenda than just sticking with the facts.

I have hired people who were 30 years old with 10 years experience who turned out to be a much more talented and valuable employee than the 24 year old with the Bachelor's degree.

Once you know what you what to do "when you grow up," you have to figure out how to get it. A lot of times, college is the quickest way to get it.

However, a lot of times, hard work, life experience, etc...is the way to go.

GotZoom and Merlin, thank you for your responses. I asked the question here not to dig at anyone, but to gain a few differing responses.
I have always maintained that it is not education that is important, but what you do with it. You could have a doctorate from Harvard, but if you have no ambition or goals, your education will be worthless.
Others don't even get through high school (for whatever reason), but they don't let that hold them back. They take whatever jobs they can find, or join the military for job skills and education. The stories of those who advanced from janitor to executive are endless, but involve ambition and the willingness to work hard.
My aunt immigrated from Mexico with virtually no education and no knowledge of English. She ended up in Dallas, where she took a job cleaning office buildings. Her long work hours, together with my uncle's long work hours, brought them together.

I admit to once being an education snob. Until I met people who bettered their lives without it.

I was one of those who joined the military. Worked in Air Force Intelligence for 12 years. Received two bachelor's degrees and gained more managerial and analytical experience in those 12 years than I could have ever received anywhere else.

I doubt I would be where I am today (job satisfaction, financial security and of course, toys :tng: ) without the experience I gained in the military.

GotZoom said:
I was one of those who joined the military. Worked in Air Force Intelligence for 12 years. Received two bachelor's degrees and gained more managerial and analytical experience in those 12 years than I could have ever received anywhere else.

I doubt I would be where I am today (job satisfaction, financial security and of course, toys :tng: ) without the experience I gained in the military.

Ditto. From High School to the Marines. Twenty-two years later I still don't have a degree. Drive, ambition, and a sense of who you are is what will get you ahead in the long run. The flip side is that without some papers you will have to figure out another way to get the foot in the door before losing your mind and kicking it open. The military is an excellent example. Officers are leaders who are book smart and go from there. Senior Enlisted normally are the street smart and go from there. Between them, the mission is accomplished. I believe the emphasis on a degree is because the average HS education is substandard in the modern world. Used to be a HS grad was considered a basically competent adult. Not anymore. So, just to hedge the bet, My kids are going to college.

Forum List

Back