How do you view American television?

buddhallah_the_christ

Dec 4, 2014
I am not satisfied with mass media in America.
Mostly I am upset with American television.
I've noticed European television seems quite different. What differences do you notice with American? Do you like them? Dislike them?
What's wrong with our TV life?

1280px-USA_flag_on_television.svg.png

TV's a hell of a lot better if you DVR most of what you want to view. Watching when you want to as opposed to being a slave to its orignal broadcast time is huge IMO, with the added bonus of eliminating commercials via fast forwarding.

It's full of lie and brainwashing. It's obvious that somebody tries to form your political opinion.
All I can think when watching TV in America is why you all need so many damn short ad breaks. Does America in general have casual diarrhoea?
Nothing good.

I am not satisfied with mass media in America.
Mostly I am upset with American television.
I've noticed European television seems quite different. What differences do you notice with American? Do you like them? Dislike them?
What's wrong with our TV life?

1280px-USA_flag_on_television.svg.png
What are you dissatisfied about? In what ways is European TV different?

I view tv from my old chair in the living room. We don't have cable, haven't for years. We have YouTube, Netflix, amazon. I go online for news...I look at multiple sources. I don't watch news shows for the most part, and I don't do network tv.

There is no news on American TV. Just talking heads giving opinion instead of facts.

How I view American television is that six months ago I cancelled my cable service because there's absolutely NOTHING worth watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm kind of an ID addict. However, some of my all-time favorite TV shows are not American. For example, Benny Hill, SCTV and Monty Pythons Flying Circus.

I'm kind of an ID addict. However, some of my all-time favorite TV shows are not American. For example, Benny Hill, SCTV and Monty Pythons Flying Circus.

what is "ID" is it in powder form or injectable?

Exercise Epistemology

American TV broadcasts are more about society and culture access:

"Gotham" (Fox TV)
"The Young and the Restless" (CBS)
"Secrets of a Restaurant Chef" (Food Network)
"Nature" (PBS)
"Teen Titans Go!" (Cartoon Network)

America is, after all, more multi-cultural than any other nation in the world, so it is obligated to please a broader audience and that requires broadcasts based on lifestyle and social interest access convenience.

The cult-favorite Hollywood (USA) movie "WarGames" (1983) was about an American computer geek who stumbles upon an elaborate military super-computer video-game simulation system that accidentally creates a real-world global war scenario. Americans love video games, because Americans literally shop for fitness.

:afro:

America's Next Top Model

vm.jpg

A poison hypnotist most-effective-propaganda-device-ever-devised that has borne out Newton Minow's label "vast wasteland" many times over. The electronic Soma installed to keep the drones drones.

"To me there's something incredibly sad about a bunch of human beings sitting down watching something take place.... the spectacle of millions and millions of people sitting in movie theaters and in front of television sets every night, watching a second or third-hand reproduction of reality going on, when the real world is right there in their living room, or right outside on the street or down the block somewhere... I think it's a tool to sonombulize or hypnotize people into kind of a waking sleep." --- Jim Morrison, 1970

America is, after all, more multi-cultural than any other nation in the world,

I don't think that's even remotely close, no.

And television serves to destroy whatever diversity exists, or at the least, to reduce it to two opposing poles, that they may be pitted one against the other. For television thrives above all on the idea of conflict. It feeds the vicarious.

How I view American television is that six months ago I cancelled my cable service because there's absolutely NOTHING worth watching.

Me too. I fired my TV when it dawned on me that 99% of the crap on there was worthless, and the 1% I might be interested in is on the internet, where I can choose it selectively.

A poison hypnotist most-effective-propaganda-device-ever-devised that has borne out Newton Minow's label "vast wasteland" many times over. The electronic Soma installed to keep the drones drones.

"To me there's something incredibly sad about a bunch of human beings sitting down watching something take place.... the spectacle of millions and millions of people sitting in movie theaters and in front of television sets every night, watching a second or third-hand reproduction of reality going on, when the real world is right there in their living room, or right outside on the street or down the block somewhere... I think it's a tool to sonombulize or hypnotize people into kind of a waking sleep." --- Jim Morrison, 1970

America is, after all, more multi-cultural than any other nation in the world,

I don't think that's even remotely close, no.

And television serves to destroy whatever diversity exists, or at the least, to reduce it to two opposing poles, that they may be pitted one against the other. For television thrives above all on the idea of conflict. It feeds the vicarious.

Me too. I fired my TV when it dawned on me that 99% of the crap on there was worthless, and the 1% I might be interested in is on the internet, where I can choose it selectively.

^^^^ Pogo said it best. There's really nothing more to add to that.

-- Paravani

Forum List

Back