HOW do YOU SLEEP?

Joz said:
Usually a nightmare can be remembered. It's usually just a really, really bad dream.
A night terror is one where children wake up screaming. Sometimes children even appear to be awake while experiencing these.
I've had them so badly that my chest is very tight and full of pain; sheer panic. Usually there is profuse breathing & sweating. I cannot recall, not one. All I can remember is the extreme pain & labored breathing.

In olden days, they used to think these were caused by demons or incubi. There is even a painting of a woman lying in bed with an incubus on her chest. Now they think it is caused by hormones. The paralysis can be explained by the hormones in your body during sleep. (I think it's seratonin, but not 100% sure.) Your body secretes this hormone to paralyze you so you don't act out your dreams. People who sleepwalk have too little of this hormone while sleeping.

I have a friend whose husband has a sleep disorder. He gets up, talks to her, looks her straight in the eye, and he is still completely asleep. Her son seems to have inherited this, too. It's weird.

Do you have a bedtime ritual, such as tub soaking or reading?

I like to read. But over the years, I have learned that the best way to fall asleep is to turn off the lights, TV, etc. and well, just go to sleep. I will read if I am having troubles. I NEVER turn on the TV once I have decided I am going to bed.

NATO: That is the worst thing you can do. Alcohol induced sleeps are the worst sleeps there are as normally you won't get a truly "deep" sleep.

Do you use medication?

Have in the past and only after I had stopped smoking weed because once I stopped smoke'n weed, I couldn't fall asleep very well.

Do you sleep on your side or back or stomach?

Side usually, but frankly, I toss and turn a lot.

Do you snore?

If I am extremely tired.

Dream alot?

I guess so. What is alot?

Recurring dreams?

Rarely.

Dream in color?

Most often, but sometimes not.

Have nightmares or night terrors?

Rarely.

Do you get 8 hours? More, less?

7 -9 hours usually.

How about sleeping alone?

I don't like it.

Do you cuddle or sleep on opposite sides of the bed?

Used to cuddle, but not much anymore.

I read in bed, but it isn't a ritual, usually by the time I go to bed I am ready to sleep.

Do you use medication?
Nope.

My husband complains that I fidget, but I almost have to be on my stomach to sleep.

Do you snore?
Not unless I'm sick.

Dream alot?

Yes, I guess so. I remember a lot of my dreams.

Recurring dreams?
Not so much anymore, when I was younger I had recurring dreams ALL the time...but now, maybe once or twice a year I have a dream that is in the same vein as those recurring dreams from the past.

Dream in color?
Honestly, I couldn't tell you.

Rarely.

7 -9 hours usually.

My husbands current job in the Air Force requires him to be away from home for 36 hour shifts, so I'm used to it...but I don't like it.

Bit of both...usually sleep apart, with legs touching.

freeandfun1 said:
NATO: That is the worst thing you can do. Alcohol induced sleeps are the worst sleeps there are as normally you won't get a truly "deep" sleep.
[/B]

Shit, I've been getting so drunk lately I'm knocked out for at least 6-8 hours, more than I usually sleep sober. Hell, I slept like 10 hours Friday night/Saturday morning, and I was gone :)

But yea, its probably not good for me. But at this point, I'm young, lonely, bored and uncomfortable, so :gives: about alcohol messing up my deep sleep... I don't get it anyway.

Joz said:
Do you use medication?
Do you snore? Dream alot? Reocurring dreams? Dream in color? Have nightmares or night terrors?
How about sleeping alone? Do you cuddle or sleep on opposite sides of the bed?

Lately, I've noticed that I enjoy sleeping at an angle, across the bed. If it's a nightmare, I can tell myself that's what it is and wake myself up. A nurse told me most people can't do that. I sleep with the covers over my head. Tho' I'm a bit claustophobic, this doesn't bother me.

With my eyes closed----someone had to say it, Joz :dance:

or onna bed....

freeandfun1 said:
[/B]

Shit, I've been getting so drunk lately I'm knocked out for at least 6-8 hours, more than I usually sleep sober. Hell, I slept like 10 hours Friday night/Saturday morning, and I was gone :)

But yea, its probably not good for me. But at this point, I'm young, lonely, bored and uncomfortable, so :gives: about alcohol messing up my deep sleep... I don't get it anyway.

It's still better than ruining your life with a relationship...

Sleep researchers identify like 8 different postures people sleeping assume. I'm the one that conforms to only about 15% of the population. On my left and right sides, arms up under and in-between two pillows. :)

I do have public nudity dreams all the damn time- damned embarassing.

I wonder what the shrinks make of them.

Though not a Jungian, I can tell ya we'd make nothing good about them. ;)

Seriously though, it's usually that you're feeling apprehensive about something going on. You dream state reflects how you feel whether you realize it consciously or not. If you're having nude-in-public dreams, I'd say that you're feeling worried about something, maybe something you've never done before, and that's coloring your dreams in a way that'll illicit those awkward, ill-at-ease feelings best. Dreams are rarely literal, so being nude doesn't necessarily mean being nude as much as uncomfortable or awkward. Symbolic, not literal in other words.

I sleep on the left in a fetal position most of the time and I sleep excellent . Only thing that messes up my sleep is a few beers or any alcohol which sometimes is imbibed either on a Friday or Saturday night [useless tradition] . I use no drugs ever except maybe a couple Ibuprofen on occasion .

pillow between the knees, on my side, mostly left and 3 to 4 pillows, firm, but flat ones. lots of blankets for support on both sides of me. I'm talking a lot of blankets- about 10; 6 or 7 on the behind side and 2 or 3 in front, plus a flat pillow up on my arm/chest for added support.

CRAZY, EH!?

A hot shower and sex. Silently praying/ communing with the Gods, while either kneeling before my altar with candles lit and incense burning, or just while laying in bed.

Do you use medication?
I used to smoke massive quantities of weed before bed, but not anymore.

On my side usually, with a pillow between my legs. Or someone.

Do you snore?
Fuck no.

Dream alot?
Yeah. I used to keep frequent dream journals, but now I only record the really epic dreams. Sometimes I even paint them.

Recurring dreams?
I dream about tornadoes, natural disasters, and apocalypses alot. I've also dreamed about Lilith and Ishtar quite a few times.

Normally in the tornado dreams, I see people I care about get killed.

Dream in color?
Every dream is in color.

Hardly. Even the tornadic dreams weren't usually nightmares but some were pretty scary.

The scariest nightmare I've had in recent times:

I was standing atop a very high Temple with my best friend. The clouds were dark and there was a lightning storm with lots of wind, but I could see the city around me burning, as if it were under attack.

We used a rope to swing down into a massive Cathedral. Inside was the demon Goddess Lilith (whom I usually have positive relations with, WTF) and for some reason we attempted to do battle with her. We ran towards her but she laughed maniacally at us and held out her hand towards us. This pyramid of bright purple light emerged from her hand, and everything around us got BIGGER AND BIGGER, DARKER AND DARKER, but what was actually happening was, we were being shrunk down to an extremely microscopic level of existence.

Her laughter echoed in my mind and, to my horror, I realized we no longer had human bodies or human features. Instead, my friend and I were each reduced to the shape of an Egyptian Ankh, and were trapped in a small, box shaped room, in this extremely tiny plane of existence... yet we could still see and hear each other's thoughts.

I heard Lilith in my mind tell us that our souls would be imprisoned there for eternity, before she laughed again, and the laugher got fainter and fainter while I looked around me, trapped, and shaped like a simple, insignificant Ankh shaped spirit.

Then I woke up... in serious WTF mode

I sleep as long as I wish. I make money on my own terms so I can sleep day or night, whenever. I am always fully rested.

Sometimes it is best to sleep alone. Other times I prefer sleeping between two men or two women.

Cuddling usually. Why sleep with someone if you don't feel like being close to them?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back