How come in war capturing the capital city is so important?

BrickHouse88

Mar 5, 2022
If you pay attention to wars, countries almost alwayyys go after their opponent’s capital city. It seems like capturing the enemy’s capital city is like a biggg stronghold to have over them.

Just a few weeks ago Russia was heavily attacking the city of Kyiv, determined to take it over. (Ukraine’s capital.)

The US capital switched locations to 8 different cities before it settled in DC, if you didn’t know. Because USA was nervous about the British attacking their capital, and USA’s military defense wasn’t strong enough at the time. Baltimore and Trenton, New Jersey were once the capitals of USA. If you didn’t know.

During the US-Mexican war, Mexico moved their capital from Mexico City to Queretaro City during the war, since USA was heavily attacking Mexico City.

I can name plenty of other examples, but my question is though: Why is it so important to conquer the capital of your opponent’s country?

Yea, I know that’s where the leader of the country resides and that’s where the laws are made, and passed. But surely these politicians could easily switch to a private location in time of war or something..

Well, if there’s something I’m missing/not aware of, please someone fill me in on why it’s so important to take over the capital city in time of war.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 6FC01F8C-E2A0-45CF-AD04-95369815175E.jpeg
    6FC01F8C-E2A0-45CF-AD04-95369815175E.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Capitols can be moved as long as the legislators escape

The most important objective is to defeat the enemy forces wherever they are.

Why is it so important to conquer the capital of your opponent’s country?
Kill the head.

CC ops are traditionally run from a central point.

Infrastructure to support those ops is key to effective comm.

Additionally the transplantation of key leaders can be logistically, very difficult.

Invading armies attempt to cut comm, which narrows scope, forcing leadership to remain in one central location.

Once that central location is achieved, commanders, and legislators are captured.

Then the nation generally falls.

There may be some guerilla activity, or disparate units who remain in the fight, but without comm they tend to fall, or disband shortly thereafter.

If you pay attention to wars, countries almost alwayyys go after their opponent’s capital city. It seems like capturing the enemy’s capital city is like a biggg stronghold to have over them.

Just a few weeks ago Russia was heavily attacking the city of Kyiv, determined to take it over. (Ukraine’s capital.)

The US capital switched locations to 8 different cities before it settled in DC, if you didn’t know. Because USA was nervous about the British attacking their capital, and USA’s military defense wasn’t strong enough at the time. Baltimore and Trenton, New Jersey were once the capitals of USA. If you didn’t know.

During the US-Mexican war, Mexico moved their capital from Mexico City to Queretaro City during the war, since USA was heavily attacking Mexico City.

I can name plenty of other examples, but my question is though: Why is it so important to conquer the capital of your opponent’s country?

Yea, I know that’s where the leader of the country resides and that’s where the laws are made, and passed. But surely these politicians could easily switch to a private location in time of war or something..

Well, if there’s something I’m missing/not aware of, please someone fill me in on why it’s so important to take over the capital city in time of war.

Thanks.
Command and control are usually centered in the capitol. If the center of government shifts, the military offensive would surely shift with it. Cut off the snakes head and it dies.

Thanks.
First, its a significant blow to moral. Second, the people who run a nation have infrastructure in place at the capital that streamlines everything. Its like the military having city like bases with all the conveniences and comforts that soldiers need for regular daily life, but then you have Forward Operating Bases (FOB's) in war zones which might provide the bare essentials, but not much else. One is a well oiled machine, the other is held together by crazy glue and duct tape and is therefore less effective.

Thanks.
Usually it means you have evicted the government.

Also, because Capitals are so important, they are always heavily defended. Taking a capital means youve tackled the hardest part of the war, in theory.
The greatest enemy threat to the Defenses of Washington occurred in July 1864, when Confederate Lieutenant General Jubal A. Early led his "Army of the Valley" to within six miles of downtown Washington in view of the new Capitol dome.

In mid-June, Early left Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia at Cold Harbor. He marched to the Shenandoah Valley where his army provided the deciding numbers in defeating Union Major General David Hunter at Lynchburg.

Early then headed down the valley and across the Potomac River into Maryland, defeated another Union army under Major General Lew Wallace (of Ben Hur fame....Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ - Wikipedia) at Monocacy, and then marched his men to the outskirts of the Union capital.

The Civil War Defenses of Washington: Historic Resource Study (Chapter 7)

This was a Hail Mary to pull troops away from Grant's Army nearing Richmond/Petersburg.....It was only partly successful in doing so due to the huge manpower advantage the North enjoyed by then though it did give Lee time to dig-in at Petersburg.....Sadly it also prolonged the conflict by another 10 months.

Thanks.
Don't Believe the Draft-Dodging Ruling Class's Excuses for Not Bringing the War to the Enemy's Homeland

If we had invaded North Vietnam and captured Hanoi, the centrally commanded Communist army would have fallen apart. Its political leaders could have run off somewhere but wouldn't have been able to direct the strategy (such as the brilliant move of the Tet Offensive) wandering from hideout to hideout.

The greatest enemy threat to the Defenses of Washington occurred in July 1864, when Confederate Lieutenant General Jubal A. Early led his "Army of the Valley" to within six miles of downtown Washington in view of the new Capitol dome.

In mid-June, Early left Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia at Cold Harbor. He marched to the Shenandoah Valley where his army provided the deciding numbers in defeating Union Major General David Hunter at Lynchburg.

Early then headed down the valley and across the Potomac River into Maryland, defeated another Union army under Major General Lew Wallace (of Ben Hur fame....Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ - Wikipedia) at Monocacy, and then marched his men to the outskirts of the Union capital.

The Civil War Defenses of Washington: Historic Resource Study (Chapter 7)

This was a Hail Mary to pull troops away from Grant's Army nearing Richmond/Petersburg.....It was only partly successful in doing so due to the huge manpower advantage the North enjoyed by then though it did give Lee time to dig-in at Petersburg.....Sadly it also prolonged the conflict by another 10 months.
The Constitution Is a Joke Written by a Joke

The incompetent clown who fathered our anti-democratic Constitution lost our nation's capital to the British. James Monroe, even though he wasn't Vice-President (another goofy office created by Madison), took over after Jemmy's nervous breakdown and managed to save the day by promoting the right generals and admirals.

The Constitution Is a Joke Written by a Joke

The incompetent clown who fathered our anti-democratic Constitution lost our nation's capital to the British. James Monroe, even though he wasn't Vice-President (another goofy office created by Madison), took over after Jemmy's nervous breakdown and managed to save the day by promoting the right generals and admirals.
fAEWJRT.gif

Kill the head.

CC ops are traditionally run from a central point.

Infrastructure to support those ops is key to effective comm.

Additionally the transplantation of key leaders can be logistically, very difficult.

Invading armies attempt to cut comm, which narrows scope, forcing leadership to remain in one central location.

Once that central location is achieved, commanders, and legislators are captured.

Then the nation generally falls.

There may be some guerilla activity, or disparate units who remain in the fight, but without comm they tend to fall, or disband shortly thereafter.
Does CC Ops stand for command and control operations?

Thanks.
Robert E Lee said one of his biggest mistakes was not taking one of his (general's?) advice to take the capitol when they had a chance...

knowing what I know now... he should have...

I feel I was brainwashed for years about Lincoln and the "rightness" of that war... I had it right the first time.. When I was very young, a child even, I was disturbed about all the deaths in the civil war and bewildred as to why another solution couldn't be found... Now I know that was exactly right... People who have studied history in depth knew what I did not (until somewhat recently)

Forum List

Back