How about an Amendment to NAFTA

Discussion in 'Politics' started by roadhouse158, Oct 30, 2006.

1. roadhouse158

roadhouse158 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I am so sick of seeing companies laying off American workers to move to another Country. Why will our politician buddies not add a clause in this "agreement" that states if a company closes it's doors in America to relocate; Then we impose stronger tarrifs, and higher taxes. This would maybe take their hunger for more profits away. America sure seems to be the BIG TIME looser in this. I guess Ross Perot was the only one that understood this. Democratic president, and a Republican Congress passed this nonsense. Fix it!

2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427

I agree that companies shouldn't be outsourcing or going offshore. But I think NAFTA is less of a problem than this Congress giving tax breaks to companies which do exactly those things.

3. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    what should these companies do about the spiraling cost of labor?

4. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    Those companies did not reduce the price of good when their manufacturing costs were reduced. I suppose the specific company would have to be taken into consideration, but all were profitable prior to going offshore and outsourcing. Their profits are greater now.

To be fair, I can't say I really feel badly for these corporations whose CEO's earn hundreds of times the salary of their workers when they used to, reasonably, earn approximately 40 times the average worker. And, honestly, I don't really care what the companies do because if they can't operate profitably then the jobs would be lost anyway. I'm all for profit, but not windfall profits on the backs of our workers.

5. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Ever hear the phrase "we are our or you are your own worst enemy"?

Go ahead put tariffs on em, tax the shit outta em. The product WILL reflect that cost. They won't pay, YOU the comsumer WILL. You'll still buy it.

6. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    IMO the major reason many Companies leave is not labor cost, but because of the convoluted tax structure.

We need the "Fair Tax" NOW!

7. roadhouse158

roadhouse158 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Congress gives tax breaks to try and keep them here. And what are you talking about Mr. P? Greed is the one of the BIGGEST problems in this country. That's not an opening for you Democrats on here to say something about Republicans. Just as many Democrats are the CEO's of these companies moving. If they had no benifit from moving out of the country they wouldn't do it in the first place. They would stay here making only 10 million a year, instead of 200 million a year....I mean who can't live off 10 million a year....Not in a lifetime....But a year.

8. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    There ya go, what more is the to say?

9. roadhouse158

roadhouse158 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I agree. Should be a no brainer. Stop giving them a finicial incentive to leave. Sorry if you have to pay more to an American worker. You'll still manage a good life.

10. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Assuming you own your house, if you could move 10 miles into a better house for less money, would you? Hell yes you would, it’s a no brainer. So why shouldn’t a company operate that way. There’s no difference really. They have no obligation to you, just as you have none to the folks in business around the home you will sell.

It's all about the free market and the $$$$..Tis the way it is. Be it individual of company.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1