House Armed Services Committee Hearing and ISIS

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
Interesting questions were asked on Thursday in the House Armed Services Committee Hearing. I must say I found the questions a lot more interesting than the answers (if you could even call them that)

Supplying the answers for the short latter part of the hearing (which is all I saw) were Defense Sect. Chuck Hagel, and Chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff General Dempsey.

Rep. Jim Bridenstine (R-OK), asked (regarding the proposed $5.6 Billion allocation), what is the approach (AKA "strategy") regarding ISIS ? Frankly, despite a somewhat wordy response from Hagel, it was so wishy-washy that I couldn't really even tell you what he said. Maybe it can be summed up as still being the same as Obama's words a couple of moths ago >("We don't have a strategy.") Dempsey said that we have disrupted ISIS' financial support. I didn't catch any definition there of how much disruption that is, and to what effect it has had. Dempsey also said we have "remarkable coalition."

Bridenstine also mentioned that in the Kosovo war (which was fought entirely from the air), we had an average of 86 airstrikes/day, whereas now against ISIS, we have only 7/day. Dempsey answered that ISIS is not a country and their forces are not as targetable as would be with a country. They move around a lot, and we are concerned with limiting civilian casualties.

The highlight of the hearing for me, came from a question by Rep. Rich Nugent (R-FL) who asked about the Status of Force Agreement. Nugent, who has 3 sons who fought to secure the Iraq govt prior to 2011, only to see their efforts be erased with the 2011 withdrawl, asked if it wouldn't be a good idea to have a Status of Force agreement which gives us an ability to stay in Iraq indefinitely. He mentioned how the 2011 withdrawl and its aftermath shows us a reason to have an enduring presence.

Hagel answered this by saying > "What we have now is adequate." I disagree. I'm with Nugent. If we're going to have agreements regarding our forces in Iraq, they need to be able to allow us to prevent future and ongoing invasions by ISIS and whatever Muslim marauders are in style at the time. This has been going on for 1400 years. Don't look for it to be ending any time soon.

Regarding this, I want to say that we need to have a more realistic approach to when and where our military may be. I'm not sure if I am OK with the idea of SFAs at all. All they do is limit out ability to defend ourselves. Hagel mentioned that Iraq is a sovereign country, and we should only be able to enter there at Iraq's invitation. "Invitation" ? What is this ? A wedding ?

EARTH TO CHUCK HAGEL: When the national security of the USA is having to be defended, we must make our own invitations. We must go ANYWHERE, ANYTIME, period. When US military forces entered Tarawa, the Marianas, Iwo Jima, and Okinawa, in 1945, were we invited by the Japs ? When Eisenhower's guys entered Italy and France (then under German control), were they invited ?

Another notable speaker was Rep. Austin Scott (R-GA) who said that he thought that the bad situation that ISIS has grown into, is at least a partial result of Obama's "indecisiveness". I agree.

Hagel answered this by saying > "What we have now is adequate." I disagree. I'm with Nugent. If we're going to have agreements regarding our forces in Iraq, they need to be able to allow us to prevent future and ongoing invasions by ISIS and whatever Muslim marauders are in style at the time. This has been going on for 1400 years. Don't look for it to be ending any time soon.
How are you and Rich planning to pay for a 1000 year Reich in Iraq... dead child tax?

How are you and Rich planning to pay for a 1000 year Reich in Iraq... dead child tax?
Plenty of ways to pay for it.

1. Raising taxes on the rich.

2. Taking that oil ISIS now has.

3. Having some of the coalition countries pay as well (to protect THEIR asses)

Plenty of ways to pay for it.

1. Raising taxes on the rich.
Possibly a Death Tax imposed on defense contractors after the first dead child, leading, ultimately, to a paradigm shift from for-profit to non-profit national defense?
There are already thousands of US (non-profit) troops in Iraq and Syria, and nobody is killing more children than ISIS. And if Obama wasn't so indecisive and timid, we'd have many thousands more there, and the "dead child" phenomenom could be stopped.

There are already thousands of US (non-profit) troops in Iraq and Syria, and nobody is killing more children than ISIS. And if Obama wasn't so indecisive and timid, we'd have many thousands more there, and the "dead child" phenomenom could be stopped
There would be no US troops in Iraq if the conflict wasn't profitable to those who arranged the war. IS and al-Qaeda also would not be present in Iraq if they didn't serve the interests of those who get rich from the mass murder of children. Over fifty years ago a choice that was stark and dreadful and inescapable was pointed out by Einstein and Russell; shall we put an end to the human race, or will mankind renounce war. What's your choice?

There are already thousands of US (non-profit) troops in Iraq and Syria, and nobody is killing more children than ISIS. And if Obama wasn't so indecisive and timid, we'd have many thousands more there, and the "dead child" phenomenom could be stopped
There would be no US troops in Iraq if the conflict wasn't profitable to those who arranged the war. IS and al-Qaeda also would not be present in Iraq if they didn't serve the interests of those who get rich from the mass murder of children. Over fifty years ago a choice that was stark and dreadful and inescapable was pointed out by Einstein and Russell; shall we put an end to the human race, or will mankind renounce war. What's your choice?
Mankind will have war as long as Muslim lunatics do what they've been doing for 1400 years (which obliterates your "get rich" theory), and for the time being, they don't show any signs of
slowing down. Muslims marauders have killed 270 million people around the world over the course of their horrific history, they have never renounced war, nor has that 14 centuries of war put an end to mankind.

Mankind will have war as long as Muslim lunatics do what they've been doing for 1400 years (which obliterates your "get rich" theory), and for the time being, they don't show any signs of
slowing down"
Wars were making kings and other parasites rich for thousands of years before Islam or capitalism launched their murderous crusades on humanity. The fact remains since the end of WWI Muslims were not killing each other in Iraq and Syria like they are today before the US invaded Iraq in 2003; greatest purveyor of violence in the world, remember?

slowing down"
Wars were making kings and other parasites rich for thousands of years before Islam or capitalism launched their murderous crusades on humanity. The fact remains since the end of WWI Muslims were not killing each other in Iraq and Syria like they are today before the US invaded Iraq in 2003; greatest purveyor of violence in the world, remember?
Nonsense. ISIS is an jihad-Sunni reaction to Shia rule in Iraq. The US wasn't even there when ISIS moved in, they had already long vacated that scene. You're not even getting close to being right. And the greatest purveyor of violence in the world is Islam, as it has been for 1400 years.

Nonsense. ISIS is an jihad-Sunni reaction to Shia rule in Iraq. The US wasn't even there when ISIS moved in,
Are you saying the US invasion and occupation of Iraq did not create a necessary condition for the rise of IS?
Of course I say that. Not only that, but it was the DEPARTURE of US troops that created a necessary condition for the rise of ISIS, and its entry into the vacuum they left behind in Iraq.

Of course I say that. Not only that, but it was the DEPARTURE of US troops that created a necessary condition for the rise of ISIS, and its entry into the vacuum they left behind in Iraq.
While the arrival of US troops in 2003 created a sufficient condition for the rise of al-Qaeda and IS in Iraq, and, of course, all the war profits which continue flowing to US investors.

While the arrival of US troops in 2003 created a sufficient condition for the rise of al-Qaeda and IS in Iraq, and, of course, all the war profits which continue flowing to US investors.
Even IF correct, none of that refutes the fact that it was the DEPARTURE of US troops that created a necessary condition for the rise of ISIS, and its entry into the vacuum they left behind in Iraq.

Even IF correct, none of that refutes the fact that it was the DEPARTURE of US troops that created a necessary condition for the rise of ISIS, and its entry into the vacuum they left behind in Iraq.
Do you believe a US occupation with an all "volunteer" military would have been able to remain in Iraq as long as conscripted forces occupied Japan and Germany after WWII? How would the public opinion of Iraqi citizens affect your decision to deny their self-determination?

Forum List

Back