House Approves Indefinite Detention of Americans...again.

PplAgainstNDAA

Founder, PANDA
May 28, 2012
I'm assuming we all know about the NDAA. The bill that allows for the indefinite detention of American citizens without charge or trial. Our House of Representatives shot down the Smith Amash Amendment on the 17th.

The Smith-Amash Amendment would have effectively repealed the NDAA, and removed the indefinite detention provisions. The House of Representatives voted it down. After confirming that they have not only read the bill, but approve of the treason it imposes on the American people, they passed the Gomash amendment. This amendment actually makes things worse, by giving the government up to 29 days to do what they will with a person, before extending them Habeas rights.

The biggest argument against the Smith Amash amendment, as articulated by Rep. Buck McKeon, was that the amednment extended protections to non-citizens as well. The term "illegal aliens" was brought up to convince other house members to vote against restoring the bill of rights.

I only need to say one thing to the bogus argument that the constitution should not apply to non-citizens. Who holds all of the proof of your citizenship, and can "lose" that proof at any time? Yeah, thought so.

Though I don't agree that All protections and Privileges should apply to Non Citizens, especially those here without consent, I don't believe we should be violating their Human Rights.

Though I don't agree that All protections and Privileges should apply to Non Citizens, especially those here without consent, I don't believe we should be violating their Human Rights.

Detaining them is not denying them their rights. As to indefinite, the Courts will shoot that down the first time it happens to an American Citizen and I suspect the first time it happens to an illegal detained IN the United States.

Detaining them is not denying them their rights. As to indefinite, the Courts will shoot that down the first time it happens to an American Citizen and I suspect the first time it happens to an illegal detained IN the United States.

Three things. #1 remember who holds all the documents stating that you are, indeed, a U.S. citizen. The Federal Government.

#2 The Courts will strike it down as soon as it happens to an American citizen? In principle, that is an excellent idea. I would love it if that were so. However, look at the USA PATRIOT Act. The PATRIOT Act has been used several times, over 740 last year, yet the Supreme Court refuses to rule on it. Secondly, note the latest Supreme Court ruling that Strip searches for merely speeding are legal. Thirdly, there is an issue of standing. If you are detained indefinitely, and not given a trial, how do you bring your case to court? You cannot. It is a wonderfully designed catch-22.

#3 Yes, detaining them without charge or trial is denying them their rights. For example, the NDAA, the instant it is used, violates:

Article I, Section 9 - suspension clause
Article III, Section 2 – grand jury indictment
4th amendment – secure in persons and papers
5th amendment – due process
6th amendment – speedy trial
8th amendment – cruel and unusual punishment

Forum List

Back