Horror at largest solar farm in Mojave Desert frys birds flying over

I guess the enviro whackos aren't satisfied enough with whacking raptors and bats at an alarming rate with their eco crucifixes aka wind farms. (*credit to Delingpole for eco crucifixes.)

Noooooooooooo. Now the "so called environmentalists" who want clean energy hahahaha have taken over a pristine environment in the desert and created this monster solar farm that basically has a death ray to make kentucky fried birds on a daily basis.

Ahhhh. Enviro whackos care about the planet so, so much.

Part of this is in Nevada. I'm thinking Harry Reid. I'm thinking of doing more digging on who profits from this project.....:eusa_angel:

Horror at the world's largest solar farm days after it opens as it is revealed panels are SCORCHING birds that fly over them

The Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System, the world's largest solar plant of its kind, recently switched on

The plants is located on five square miles of the Mojave Desert, near the California / Nevada border

State energy officials have released photos of bird with singed feathers from flying into the hot 'thermal flux' around the towers, which can reach 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit

The plant is made up of three generating units surrounded by more than 300,000 reflecting mirrors

At full power it produces enough electricity for 140,000 homes but is still attracting controversy over environment

1,000 degrees fahrenheit? Special. And displace natural wildlife in this fragile ecosystem?

article-2560494-1B890C5200000578-469_964x718.jpg

article-2558257-6NLnvynrU-HSK1-874_964x641.jpg

Big changes: The Mojave Desert has been transformed from a wilderness which homes tortoises and coyotes to a $2.2billion green energy complex with the power to produce nearly 400 megawatts

World's largest solar farm is SCORCHING BIRDS that fly over it | Mail Online

A few birds, or we could drill ANWR and suffer the effects described below:
Arctic Refuge: Oil and Gas Issues

When the rightie kooks show some concern over the thousands of glass-paned office buildings that kill birds by the millions, then people might start paying attention to their hysterical hypocrisy. As usual, consistency points to the liberals for not going hysterical over either case.

Beat me to it.

It's also interesting to point out they generally have a good laugh over animals that suffer during oil spills.

And remember the controversy over the Spotted Owl?

Zero conservatives were in favor of saving them.

Seems that actual conservationists knew that they didn't need saving....and what do you know...they didn't. The whole farce was a green wacko scam to try and prevent logging in old growth forests. Try learning at least something sometime before you die.

When the rightie kooks show some concern over the thousands of glass-paned office buildings that kill birds by the millions, then people might start paying attention to their hysterical hypocrisy. As usual, consistency points to the liberals for not going hysterical over either case.

Beat me to it.

It's also interesting to point out they generally have a good laugh over animals that suffer during oil spills.

And remember the controversy over the Spotted Owl?

Zero conservatives were in favor of saving them.

You really make it easy to hate wankers who come in and make a blanket statement that conservatives don't care about the suffering of animals or birds and want to destroy the environment and kill the planet.

And you make a terrible bigoted fool of yourself doing so. You are one sick puppy.

:lol:

Avatars are a glimpse into how one thinks...guess he doesn't know that his strongly suggests someone who is extremely angry over his own fears, ineffectiveness, and impotence.

Conservatives love hunting for fun. What's the difference?

I am an avid hunter....I don't kill anything that I am not going to eat....have you ever seen what happens to wildlife populations that have become overpopulated because of loss of predators?

You may be unable to understand but hunters are a vital part of the ecosystem since the natural predators in any given area have become more scarce.

Boy, have you gotten that right! Not only does it not disrupt migration routes (in part because of the way it was designed and constructed), many animals seem to prefer hanging around. The pipeline is heated, you see. Otherwise, all that crude oil would not pass as freely through the pipes. The animals are savvy enough to understand this and are often seen using those heated lines. But, hell, why mess up a good liberal myth?

Everything that comes out of a liberal's mouth is bullshit. They haven't had an independent thought in their entire lives....by definition they are collectivists...herd animals...unthinking. Anything they say, they heard from someone else and if that someone else was percieved as part of the herd, they repeat it as though it were true.

Do you have reading comprehension problems or did you skip by the info posted that showed POSTERS THAT BASICALLY DON'T CARE.....................................

You're just making stuff up now. Which is normal behavior for conservatives who can't address the issue. And like most conservatives, you know green energy kills fewer birds than fossil fuels, but you still push for more fossil fuels, resulting in maximum bird deaths.

So why do conservatives favor policies that maximize bird deaths? I've theorized they have an insatiable thirst for birdie blood, and that they collect all the dead birds and use them in their sick secret rituals. What else could explain the strange conservative desire for ever more little birdie corpses? If you see them get upset about this, it's because they're angry at being exposed.

The diversionary tactics of a three-year-old: "Bobby does it, so I should be able to, too!".

No, it's pointing out that you've been a stinking hypocrite. We can see on this thread how that infuriates the righties here, getting called out on their BS. None of 'em uttered a peep of concern about the birds prior to this. They don't care about birds. They just want reasons to yell hate at liberals. They're going into a pissy meltdown and lying about the reasons.

Two wrongs don't make a right, child. Or did your keepers never explain that to you?

Have a grownup explain the concept of tradeoffs to you. If you can't understand a concept that simple, as likely will be the case, just toddle on back to the kiddie table with your juicebox and stop bothering the grownups.

Just like your type are pooh-poohing the wholesale murder of millions of birds and the destruction of sensitive habitat for untold endangered or threatened species..as long as it fits into your immoral agenda to force everyone else to kowtow to your stupid, unsustainable fantasies.

You're getting hysterical there. You making up deranged bullshit about us doesn't make us hypocrites. I'm sure that crap plays well to your cult, but nobody outside your cult is gonna buy it.

I would expect you to be an expert on hypocrisy, you do it so well. Obviously, you haven't a clue what the word means, so your comment will be discounted and attributed to your excellent ability to mimic the sounds made by your libturd masters.

I know what "tradeoffs" are. I know that "compromise" is not "my way, or the highway". You, like so many of your pin-headed breed, are incapable of compromising (tradeoff). Again, you are discounted for you lack of understanding and inability to conceive of anything other than whatever your handlers prompt you to mimic.

Hysterical? Yep, you got that one down, too. You do "deranged bullshit" as well as any parrot would do "Polly wants a cracker."

A lot of fictional things disturb the extreme right, but that doesn't mean regular people should panic over them.

Truth is stranger than fiction...

White House gives wind farms 30-year pass on eagle deaths - CBS News

From your article:

"The change, requested by the wind energy industry, will provide legal protection for the lifespan of wind farms and other projects for which companies obtain a permit and make efforts to avoid killing the birds."

and

"Under the change announced Friday, companies would have to commit to take additional measures if they kill or injure more eagles than they have estimated they would, or if new information suggests that eagle populations are being affected. The permits would be reviewed every five years, and companies would have to submit reports of how many eagles they kill."

Why were these companies not forced to evaluate their impact prior to implementation? Why are they not required to publish viable plans to counteract their impact prior to placing their installations on line? Why are they not being fined until they alleviate their adverse impact on wildlife, habitat, and the environment?
That's what they do to any kind of industrial endeavor where I live.

What disturbs me the most is that the wind farms and solar panel facilities have been allowed by American environmental agencies to get a free pass.

A lot of fictional things disturb the extreme right, but that doesn't mean regular people should panic over them.

Regular people, aka those that agree with you, are hypocritical................

Enviro Wacks will scream bloody murder if you don't agree with the energy source. Your side will stop construction of multi million dollar jobs because of dang field mouse.......................

Yet, when birds are fried or eagles are killed in wind farms..........No big deal.............

On this case, obviously a lot of money has gone into it...........The people in this area probably have had rate hikes to pay for it..............So shutting it down or moving it would possibly cost the people using this power even more money.................

So, it's time to find a way to scare the birds away from the site without hurting them or killing them........possibly some low emission radar arrays that will irritate the birds away from the site.

Ah, fuck...fry enough of 'em and there won't be any birds left to worry about. Problem solved. Birds just shit on everything anyhow, so where's the loss?

Wind farms: Interior Department sacrifices eagle protection for alternative energy - Washington Times

The Interior Department will finalize a rule Monday that would grant permits to let wind farms kill eagles for up to 30 years, six times longer than current permits allow.

Wind farms are the fields of turbines that dot the landscape. They kill about 440,000 birds a year, including some iconic bald eagles, golden eagles and other protected species, raising questions about the balance between renewable energy production and the environment it is supposed to be helping.

Why should we sacrifice any animal or bird for alternative energy? I say we sacrifice liberals, then we'll need a lot less energy. I've challenged liberals and enviro-weenies before to put their money where they bullshit-spewing mouths are and so far, none have stepped up to the plate and contributed their steaming, rotten carcasses to a soil remediation program.

Yet, when birds are fried or eagles are killed in wind farms..........No big deal.............

Nobody said that or implied it. Since you're just going to lie about us, what's the point in speaking to you? You conservatives are good at attacking strawman liberal positions, but rather helpless against the real thing.

We can of course, make a deal. If your conservatives will stop being such liars and hypocrites, I'll stop pointing it out. That seems eminently fair, right?

So, it's time to find a way to scare the birds away from the site without hurting them or killing them........possibly some low emission radar arrays that will irritate the birds away from the site.

Since everyone agrees with efforts to reduce bird deaths, so why did you claim people don't care?

The real issue: too many people requiring too much energy. The real solution: all the libtards who have a problem with energy production eliminating themselves, thereby alleviating the real issue: too many people. You're so concerned...I'm waiting your heartfelt, honest contribution to alleviate the problem...
waiting...
waiting....
waiting...

yeah, I though so....

hypocrite.

It's not often I find myself on the same side of an issue as tinydancer but-----but, I too, am in favor of maximizing our conservation efforts to minimize our loss of wild birds et al in our quest for more energy for a world that is demanding moreandmore and more energy.

Because...
...wind farms kill roughly 0.27 birds per GWh and
nuclear plants kill about 0.6 birds per GWh (2.2x wind) and
fossil-fueled power stations kill about 9.4 birds per GWh. (34.8x wind),
I expect tinydancer and all others on the USMB that have expressed an interest in preserving wild bird and animal life to join with me in petitioning the DOE to close all fossil-fueled power stations and nuclear plants at the earliest possible date that their GWh can be replaced by fhe much more wildlife friendly wind and solar power and-----and good on all the righties that have expressed a hankering for conservation - it takes guts to go against the billionaires and still identify yourself as a-----as a conservative.

top-bird-killers-bird-deaths.jpg

I came upon this bird directly in front of the door of my local library. The bird hit the glass of the library door and died. Yes, 3rd on the list of things that cause birds to die, is collisions with buildings.

Star:

There IS a big diff between windfarms and random bird collisions with buildings and cars. And that is the TYPE of birds being killed. Migratory birds often get juiced up on berries and crap and are guilty of Flying under the Influence. When they die, it is NOT because of loss of habitat, it occurs on WIDE-SPREAD basis and relatively random.

Windfarms are different, because the birds that they kill are largely STATIONARY and territorial. Like eagles, owls, and other raptors. It's inevitable that those areas where wind farms are placed --- that the TERRITORY will be ultimately denied because of the kill rate. Which means a map of habitat with a big X thru the wind farms and the surrounding area.

That's why you can't EXCUSE eagle kill permits by yapping about juiced birds colliding with buildings. There will still be HABITAT and sufficient numbers for those birds.

And BTW --- Nuclear plants don't kill anymore birds than wind farms per GWatt. It makes ZERO sense to make that claim. ANY bird deaths at a nuclear plant are due to the lines and transformers and roads. The SAME kind of infrastructure that is part of ANY wind farm. Perhaps they are being dishonest and counting ONLY the turbine related deaths. But that source is screwed up and I'm CERTAIN that the truth is that nuclear plants per GWatt-hr are far safer for all birds than wind or solar thermal towers..

Producing that energy by burning fossil fuels will kill orders of magnitude more birds and every other form of wildlife in the vicinity than will producing it by wind or solar power. If you cared about this wild life, you'd be on the other side of this argument.

Your way is better how? So we've established what you are, now we're just dickering over the price.

That is your line, Tiny. In reality y6u care nothing for the birds, just another hook to hang your very Conservative views on. I have yet to see you post anything about the number of birds that the mining of the Canadian Tar Sands is killing.

May I suggest reading glasses sir? My response to Synthaholic on page two of this thread directly addresses bird deaths in the oil sands.

Oh and by the way, I've been into water conservation since Grassy Narrows, a fighter against intensive hog farming, against the insane boil water advisories on most First Nation Reserves and a member of Ducks Unlimited since before most of the posters on the board were born. :eusa_angel:

I've been more than a keyboard warrior for decades. :lol: When I started my conservation battles a keyboard was something you played on a piano.

Syn, with all due respect I don't know one Canuck who is in favor of risking the environment or its inhabitants be they feathered or furry for oil production.

That's why we have such strict environmental regulations AND this is a biggie strict enforcement of those regulations.

I mean the government lays a huge smackdown on any company that screws up. It's a big deal. They are put thru the wringer. And not just financially. In one instance a company was fined three million dollars for duck deaths at one of their tailings ponds.

Now some have said that's just a slap on the wrist but they are the radicals that wanted the death penalty for all the executives of the company, but they miss the bigger part of the government's punishment that they doled out.

Syncrude was required to completely overhaul their systems to prevent this from happening in the future. This was the federal and the provincial government going after the company. It was a big big big deal.

I've been a member of Ducks Unlimited for decades. I was right in there campaigning for a mega fine.

This is one of the reasons I do promote ethical oil from Canada. Really tough regulations not only on the environment but also for the work forces that are paid exceptionally well and have fabulous benefits.

Think Canada vs Nigeria in oil production. Or Canada vs Brazil. See where I'm going?

What disturbs me the most is that the wind farms and solar panel facilities have been allowed by American environmental agencies to get a free pass. This is crazy to a conservationist.

Wind farms in migratory paths killing raptors and bats at such an alarming rate is actually being allowed?

This new solar facility was allowed to build in one of the most sensitive areas of the Mojave where the desert tortoise is considered endangered?

And this will blow your mind. The company was allowed to move the desert tortoises to other areas of the Mojave but conservationists are claiming the tortoises died from the stress of the move. How crazy is this?

I mean aye carumba!:eek: I have nothing against green and renewable energy but it seems to me that how this is being handled is we're trading in big oil (who are regulated)for big green who are getting a free pass all in the name of renewable energy. .

It's just flat out wrong.

AND that pisses me off. I've got a mega income tax rebate coming and I'm going to donate, join and become very active in fighting certain projects up and coming.

And with 10 months of winter and two months of bad skating also known as summer, I have a lot of time on my hands for activism.:eusa_angel:

It's not often I find myself on the same side of an issue as tinydancer but-----but, I too, am in favor of maximizing our conservation efforts to minimize our loss of wild birds et al in our quest for more energy for a world that is demanding moreandmore and more energy.

Because...
I expect tinydancer and all others on the USMB that have expressed an interest in preserving wild bird and animal life to join with me in petitioning the DOE to close all fossil-fueled power stations and nuclear plants at the earliest possible date that their GWh can be replaced by fhe much more wildlife friendly wind and solar power and-----and good on all the righties that have expressed a hankering for conservation - it takes guts to go against the billionaires and still identify yourself as a-----as a conservative.

I came upon this bird directly in front of the door of my local library. The bird hit the glass of the library door and died. Yes, 3rd on the list of things that cause birds to die, is collisions with buildings.

I'm interested in the statistics supporting your information.
There's an easy fix for buildings that birds collide with...

I guess the enviro whackos aren't satisfied enough with whacking raptors and bats at an alarming rate with their eco crucifixes aka wind farms. (*credit to Delingpole for eco crucifixes.)

Noooooooooooo. Now the "so called environmentalists" who want clean energy hahahaha have taken over a pristine environment in the desert and created this monster solar farm that basically has a death ray to make kentucky fried birds on a daily basis.

Part of this is in Nevada. I'm thinking Harry Reid. I'm thinking of doing more digging on who profits from this project.....:eusa_angel:

Horror at the world's largest solar farm days after it opens as it is revealed panels are SCORCHING birds that fly over them

The Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System, the world's largest solar plant of its kind, recently switched on

The plants is located on five square miles of the Mojave Desert, near the California / Nevada border

State energy officials have released photos of bird with singed feathers from flying into the hot 'thermal flux' around the towers, which can reach 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit

The plant is made up of three generating units surrounded by more than 300,000 reflecting mirrors

At full power it produces enough electricity for 140,000 homes but is still attracting controversy over environment

1,000 degrees fahrenheit? Special. And displace natural wildlife in this fragile ecosystem?

Big changes: The Mojave Desert has been transformed from a wilderness which homes tortoises and coyotes to a $2.2billion green energy complex with the power to produce nearly 400 megawatts

Now you can have your bird and eat it too!

That's a pretty sick thing to be laughing about :cool:

I'm not laughing. I'm royally pissed off that somehow enviro whackos think it's a swell idea to despoil the Mojave.

Solar equals whacko who knew? I have panels and I assure you I don't give a shit about the environment.

I use solar to charge my house batteries, but I'm not frying birds. I use solar because I refust to pay what the local power company wants to charge me to 1) run power to my house, and 2) charge me monthly to provide that power. Fuck that shit! Solar and wind work well, for individual, isolated dwellings. Oh, and I AM a "whacko" by libtard standards

May I suggest reading glasses sir? My response to Synthaholic on page two of this thread directly addresses bird deaths in the oil sands.

Oh and by the way, I've been into water conservation since Grassy Narrows, a fighter against intensive hog farming, against the insane boil water advisories on most First Nation Reserves and a member of Ducks Unlimited since before most of the posters on the board were born. :eusa_angel:

I've been more than a keyboard warrior for decades. :lol: When I started my conservation battles a keyboard was something you played on a piano.

Because...

I'm interested in the statistics supporting your information.
There's an easy fix for buildings that birds collide with...

They fly into my glass doors all the time.

A few birds, or we could drill ANWR and suffer the effects described below:
Arctic Refuge: Oil and Gas Issues

Yeah, typical liberal scare tactics..the sky is falling, I say...the sky is falling...oh, wait...the glaciers are melting!

Do you have reading comprehension problems or did you skip by the info posted that showed POSTERS THAT BASICALLY DON'T CARE.....................................

You're just making stuff up now. Which is normal behavior for conservatives who can't address the issue. And like most conservatives, you know green energy kills fewer birds than fossil fuels, but you still push for more fossil fuels, resulting in maximum bird deaths.

So why do conservatives favor policies that maximize bird deaths? I've theorized they have an insatiable thirst for birdie blood, and that they collect all the dead birds and use them in their sick secret rituals. What else could explain the strange conservative desire for ever more little birdie corpses? If you see them get upset about this, it's because they're angry at being exposed.

So it is an order of magnitude now, is it? You side kills fewer birds, etc...the other side kills more, therefore the other side is badder than your side?
Dude, get you story straight..either it is a bad thing to kill, or it isn't. Just because you kill fewer animals does not make you a nicer kind of guy. You are still a murderer.

This wouldn't be an issue if turkeys lived in the desert.

Forum List

Back