Hooray!!! Al Franken will host new lib. radio station

Dec 3, 2003
Fayetteville
(AP) They haven't got a name or a launch date yet, but the entrepreneurs who dream of launching a liberal radio network have just landed themselves a lead man: Comedian and best-selling author Al Franken.

Progress Media and Franken said they have reached an agreement for Franken to host a live, three-hour daily broadcast that would form the anchor of the programming schedule.

In an interview, Franken said the format of the show was still evolving, but he said he was certain that it wouldn't be akin to that used by his rival Rush Limbaugh, which Franken described as “non-guested confrontation.”

“He has no one on the show but it's confrontation,” Franken said. “His show is just him railing for three hours.”

Franken said he planned to use a mix of interviews, calls from listeners and scripted comedy. He said he planned to have a co-host with long experience in radio, but he said that role had not been finalized.

Franken had long been rumored to be interested in a deal with Progress Media, the startup company that is assembling radio stations and talent for a radio network to challenge conservative talk show powerhouses like Limbaugh.

But Franken had been holding off in recent months, partly to promote his hot-selling book, “Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right,” and partly because he had reservations about the previous owners of the venture.

“Things got more serious in terms of putting together stations and money to make this possible” with the change in ownership, Franken said.

Last November the company was bought by an investment group led by Mark Walsh, a former America Online executive and adviser to the Democratic National Committee, from the venture capitalists Sheldon and Anita Drobny.

Walsh, who serves as CEO of Progress Media, also said the new network had reached its first major distribution agreement, with the Chicago AM station WNTD. He said he expects to announce at least three other distribution deals in the coming weeks.

Walsh acknowledged that much work remains to be done on the network before it becomes a viable business, including lining up technical arrangements and setting up offices and studios.

He said that about 65 percent of the network's programming has been decided, but he declined to elaborate beyond disclosing another new show to be co-hosted by the environmental activist Robert F. Kennedy Jr. called “Champions of Justice.”

The network also has yet to decide on a name. Last month the company indicated it would call the radio network Central Air, but Walsh said Tuesday the company was no longer certain it would be using that name.

Putting Franken in the midday time slot of noon to 3 p.m. Eastern time is a direct challenge to Limbaugh, whose hugely successful show occupies the same time slot.

Franken, whose earlier book was called “Rush Limbaugh Is a Big Fat Idiot,” said he plans to call up his nemesis for advice on his own show since Limbaugh has often said he wonders why new radio hosts don't seek out his counsel.

“I'll ask him advice: how he approaches a show, how he frames an issue. If it doesn't happen it will be — very understandably — because he won't take my call,” Franken said.

Franken said his contract with Progress Media would last just one year, after which time both sides would reassess how things were going. He also said he very much wanted to do the show during a presidential election year.

“I'm interested in doing what I can to affect this election,” Franken said. “I've been thinking about what's the best use of my energies — I hope this is it.”

Link

I hope it will make it to Arkansas:)

See, this is what irks me about Franken. If he were just out there, writing funny book, doing standup, that's fine. But, now it's becoming clear that he was doing all that as a way to finance a political movement, and still trying to act like he's just your average comedian. He's headed straight for Rush territory, too bad, he's a funny guy when he wants to be.

Prediction: Al's show will last about a year.

Liberal talk radio is too humorless to be entertaining. Although Al is ostensibly a comedy writer - the past failures of other liberal talk show efforts bode ill for this one.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
guess there has to be somebody to balance out dennis miller

:rolleyes:

Ya, since when was there balance?

WW, you're simply wrong. Just because there is a huge untapped market for non-spin talk radio.

Originally posted by jones

WW, you're simply wrong. Just because there is a huge untapped market for non-spin talk radio.

Yes. All the media companies are simply ignoring a huge untapped market. Cuz they hate to make money.

It will fail for the simple reason that there is no market for it. People don't want to hear liberals, aka, people who stick to their nonsequitor talking points despite meaningful analysis and refutation.

They will crack up in a few days of dealing with conservative callers. That is, if they even take calls from the opposition. They probably won't, which is another reason why it will miserably boring.

:lame2:

Too too funny. Your definition of non-spin is just someone who validates your biases.

It's still going to fail. Liberal talk radio ends up being too strident and humorless. Only the hardcore haters will listen.

You honestly expect it to be non-spin? If there's no spin, there's no point to it, it would be nothing but Al Franken reading the news.

Actually the "liberal" talk radio I listen to is mainly call-ins. AND THEY URGE republicans to call, but its very hard. They scared. Most of the republicans Ive heard call arent even republican party anymore. Conservitive yes, but they know the spin, so they dont vote republican.

:rolleyes:

jonsie,

Have you ever listened to how conservative callers get treated on "liberal" programs. ? They are called stupid and shouted down - much the way Dean treated the Republican senior citizen in Iowa last week.

Liberals have had their own radio station for years. It's known as NPR. There is a reason it requires government funding to stay solvent.

I don't consider NPR liberal. Its nice and even minded though.

Actually Im not sure what liberal talker you heard but where I listen that does not happen.

Of course you don't consider NPR to be liberal. That is because most liberals thing they are moderates.

The're not - but they do continue in the delusion.

I dont consider myself moderate really, NOT THESE DAYS haha.

Im just a good ol' Benjamin Franklin liberal.

And a liberal is not commie, however you view us.
Liberal-
Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded

Real definition :

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
L imited

I ncome

B roke

E ccentric

R idiculous

A ss

L osers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont consider myself moderate really, NOT THESE DAYS haha.

Im just a good ol' Benjamin Franklin liberal.

And a liberal is not commie, however you view us.
Liberal-
Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded

That sounds like no liberal I know. Liberals I know are very bigoted. They judge anyone who doesn't agree with their "blame america for the worlds problems" outlook as stupid or hateful. And they are not open to new ideas; they stick to same failure-enabling, dependancy-creating, individual rights-denying, income-redistributing big government programs, despite the repeated and demonstrable failures of that approach.

Im confident you have no idea what you're talking about.

Your confidence, however emboldening it may be for you, is unfounded. You're probably less intelligent than me, so what I write probably confuses you.

Not confusing at all, I found that all except your first statement is exactly how your party ideology works.

Im probly not less intelligent than you, have no idea what my IQ is, but I have to my knowledge, a very deep conscious. Ive found that even if a person does have high IQ, they can seem really stupid, wont shut the f. u. and can become criminal if they have a weak conscious.

Forum List

Back