Homosexuality is a choice? Really?

GunnyL said:
I think your argument that it is not a choice is fallacious.

So where are we NOW? IF there was conclusive evidence/proof either way, this wouldn't be an argument, would it?

"None of the above" would default to "normal;" which, equates to straight. Our ability to reason aside, we are animals. What is the biological function of animals in regard to sex? Procreation -- perpetuation of the species. This requires one male and one female. Animals who cannot or are unable to perform their bilogical reproductive function die, and their malfunction dies with them.

It doesn't matter whether it's genetic, or a choice -- it's aberrant behavior.

You guys all want to have it both ways. (pun intended) If orientation is a choice as you allege, why can't you provide any "testimony" about how you chose to be straight? The only way you can allege a choice is if you actually considered the other options.

You can try to spin it all you want to, but "none of the above" doesn't equal straight. "None of the above" equals asexual.

I can appreciate the adamant reluctance to consider homosexuality as anything other than a choice too. If it's ever determined without a doubt that homosexuals are born that way, Christians will be left with a contradiction of Biblical proportion (sorry, the puns keep rolling); if God creates homosexuals, how can he (through His word) condemn them?

MissileMan said:
You guys all want to have it both ways. (pun intended) If orientation is a choice as you allege, why can't you provide any "testimony" about how you chose to be straight? The only way you can allege a choice is if you actually considered the other options.

You can try to spin it all you want to, but "none of the above" doesn't equal straight. "None of the above" equals asexual.

I can appreciate the adamant reluctance to consider homosexuality as anything other than a choice too. If it's ever determined without a doubt that homosexuals are born that way, Christians will be left with a contradiction of Biblical proportion (sorry, the puns keep rolling); if God creates homosexuals, how can he (through His word) condemn them?

straight is the biological norm

MissileMan said:

if god creats gays then he also creates murderers.....sin is sin....chose not to sin

manu1959 said:
if god creats gays then he also creates murderers.....sin is sin....chose not to sin

There are very few, if any, people who are born murderers.

MissileMan said:
There are very few, if any, people who are born murderers.

disagree....if you can be born gay you can be born a murderer or an alcoholic or anything else for that matter.....you can't prove otherwise

manu1959 said:
disagree....if you can be born gay you can be born a murderer or an alcoholic or anything else for that matter.....you can't prove otherwise

What kind of god would intentionally stack the deck against people randomly?

MissileMan said:
You brought it up, make your own argument. :laugh:

i stated a fact you agreed....my work is done....if want to link it or not link it to choice knock yourself out.....people choose to have sex and they pick who they want to have sex with....some chose women some choose men.....the correct biological choice is someone of the oposite sex......the correct moral choice is someone of the oposite sex.....choosing someone of the same sex is choosing to violate the biological and moral norm......gays justifyit by saying dolphins and monkeys have gay sex morals are relative and it doesn't hurt anyone.....ok whatever gets you through they day.....i just want the lepricans to have their rainbow back

manu1959 said:
straight is the biological norm

Better answer.

Yes it is. But so is having 2 eyes, arms, legs, ears, etc. If someone is born with only one leg, they aren't choosing to limp.

MissileMan said:
Better answer.

Yes it is. But so is having 2 eyes, arms, legs, ears, etc. If someone is born with only one leg, they aren't choosing to limp.

you need two legs to limp....one you would hop....they could choose to be miserable or choose not to be miserable.....gay people could choose not to have gay sex but they don't

SpidermanTuba said:
If I wanted to see what it was like to be homosexual for a day, how would I go about "choosing" to be attracted to men and "choosing" to not be attracted to women? I'm having trouble comprehending how that is possible.

We are just as much having trouble understanding why so many people choose to be stupid/liberal>

MissileMan said:

simple, they are neither born that way, nor made that way by God. Nor do I believe it is a choice such as we choose the color of our house.

But non the less, if ones desires are to homosexuality, it doesnt mean you need to engage in it. Many people lead very happy lives without engaging in sexual activities.

I cannot honestly comment on how I would react if I were a homosexual, but I do know if I were a pedophile, I would have a doctor alter me in any means necessary to eliminate the desire.

None of that changes the fact that homosexuality is not normal. It is not the intended function of the penis. Now, regarding taking a crap, that isnt really an activity than more of a biological function. If you want to call having your heart beat an activity, then so be it. I wouldnt per se.

As for oral sex, that is learned. It also isnt normal, I dont often see dogs doing that to each other. Or even themselves, yet I bet if people could, they would. Dogs could, but dont.

SpidermanTuba said:
Many people refuse to accept evidence that homosexuality is related to genetics.

I have to wonder about these people.

Did they have to "choose" to be straight? Could they find the same sex attractive, if they "chose" to?

Why do people, especially young people, often spend a lot of time pining after someone they will probably never get? Why not simply "choose" to not be attracted to that person, and instead "choose" to be attracted to another person who is available? Are they just stupid?

It would seem that marital infidelity wouldn't be such a big problem if men could simply "choose" to be attracted only to their wives, and not to anyone else.

I'm starting to realize more and more that those who claim that sexual orientation is a "choice" must be either gay or bisexual. I didn't "choose" to be attracted to women, I was born that way. I find the thought of gay male sex to be rather unattractive, I couldn't possibly "choose" to find males attractive. Perhaps those who claim that it is a "choice", unlike myself and the vast majority of straight people, had to "choose" to not be attracted to members of the same sex, against their natural desires.

ST, there is no conclusive proof that homosexuality is genetic. You make the seem as if there is.

Some studies suggest that your claim that genetics cause homosexuality, others do not.

You, of all people, should know that for a theory to be proven, it must be repeatable in experiments. This is not the case with studies of sexual orientation.

Plus, there is also the question of nature vs nurture. If the brain centers which control sexual orientation are different from straights, then is it because they were born that way, or did they become that way because of gay sex? That hasn't been answered.

Also, do the differences in the brains of gays actually cause other conditions, e.g. depression, anxiety and so forth, and homosexuality is the response to the stimulus?

Many gays have been abused as children, could that be a cause? Gays also tend to abuse drugs and alcohol more often than straights, are more prone to suicide and depression. Could these be responses to differences in gay brain structure?

One of the explanations for this is "homophobia". That is, because gays are reviled by society (which is no longer true, society has become much more tolerant of gays), if hatred were the cause of suicide, drug abuse, depression and so forth, then I'd expect that Jews, Gypsies and Kurds to be experiencing the same problems.

The problem with research into homosexuality is that many times, the studies are politically motivated, so the findings are skewed. Also, the media, which is very pro-gay, has a tendency to publish the results of studies whose findings are inclusive at best as gospel.

Personally, I don't think homosexuality is entirely a choice or a genetic predisposition. It is a combination of both. The choices may be subconscious, granted, but they are choices, nonetheless.

Forum List

Back