Homosexuality is a choice? Really?

SpidermanTuba

Rookie
May 7, 2004
New Orleans, Louisiana
Many people refuse to accept evidence that homosexuality is related to genetics.

I have to wonder about these people.

Did they have to "choose" to be straight? Could they find the same sex attractive, if they "chose" to?

Why do people, especially young people, often spend a lot of time pining after someone they will probably never get? Why not simply "choose" to not be attracted to that person, and instead "choose" to be attracted to another person who is available? Are they just stupid?

It would seem that marital infidelity wouldn't be such a big problem if men could simply "choose" to be attracted only to their wives, and not to anyone else.

I'm starting to realize more and more that those who claim that sexual orientation is a "choice" must be either gay or bisexual. I didn't "choose" to be attracted to women, I was born that way. I find the thought of gay male sex to be rather unattractive, I couldn't possibly "choose" to find males attractive. Perhaps those who claim that it is a "choice", unlike myself and the vast majority of straight people, had to "choose" to not be attracted to members of the same sex, against their natural desires.

Choosing to be gay is really an easy choice. First you have to want painful and dirty sex. Then to be ostracized by family and society. After that you can be discriminated against in the job market. If you're really lucky some redneck might kill you. With all that fun to be had it's amazing everybody doesn't choose it.

Nuc said:
Choosing to be gay is really an easy choice. First you have to want painful and dirty sex. Then to be ostracized by family and society. After that you can be discriminated against in the job market. If you're really lucky some redneck might kill you. With all that fun to be had it's amazing everybody doesn't choose it.

the upside is everyone will want your fashion advice and decorating tips

You are creating a false dichotemy by pretending as though there are two choices. There aren't.

You can choose to be gay.

You can choose to be straight.

You can choose to be bi.

You can choose nothing and then by default you will be straight.

You are creating a false dichotemy by pretending as though there are two choices. There aren't.

You can choose to be bi.

Do you choose to be straight? Have you really had urges to have sex with other men that you had to choose to not follow up on?

MissileMan said:
Do you choose to be straight? Have you really had urges to have sex with other men that you had to choose to not follow up on?

Did you just ignore everything i just wrote?

There aren't only two choices.

Did you just ignore everything i just wrote?

There aren't only two choices.

No, I think your argument that orientation is a choice is fallacious. First, if there were choices, it would be Straight, Gay, Bi, or "None of the above". "None of the above" would not default to straight as you insinuate it would indicate asexuality. Now that I have shown the fallacy in your attempt to indicate you are straight through choosing "none of the above", I'll ask the questions again.

Did you choose to be straight? Have you really had urges to have sex with other men that you had to choose to not follow up on?

MissileMan said:
No, I think your argument that orientation is a choice is fallacious. First, if there were choices, it would be Straight, Gay, Bi, or "None of the above". "None of the above" would not default to straight as you insinuate it would indicate asexuality. Now that I have shown the fallacy in your attempt to indicate you are straight through choosing "none of the above", I'll ask the questions again.

Did you choose to be straight? Have you really had urges to have sex with other men that you had to choose to not follow up on?

I think your argument that it is not a choice is fallacious.

So where are we NOW? IF there was conclusive evidence/proof either way, this wouldn't be an argument, would it?

"None of the above" would default to "normal;" which, equates to straight. Our ability to reason aside, we are animals. What is the biological function of animals in regard to sex? Procreation -- perpetuation of the species. This requires one male and one female. Animals who cannot or are unable to perform their bilogical reproductive function die, and their malfunction dies with them.

It doesn't matter whether it's genetic, or a choice -- it's aberrant behavior.

You can choose to be bi.

If I wanted to see what it was like to be homosexual for a day, how would I go about "choosing" to be attracted to men and "choosing" to not be attracted to women? I'm having trouble comprehending how that is possible.

SpidermanTuba said:
Many people refuse to accept evidence that homosexuality is related to genetics.

I have to wonder about these people.

Did they have to "choose" to be straight? Could they find the same sex attractive, if they "chose" to?

Why do people, especially young people, often spend a lot of time pining after someone they will probably never get? Why not simply "choose" to not be attracted to that person, and instead "choose" to be attracted to another person who is available? Are they just stupid?

It would seem that marital infidelity wouldn't be such a big problem if men could simply "choose" to be attracted only to their wives, and not to anyone else.

I'm starting to realize more and more that those who claim that sexual orientation is a "choice" must be either gay or bisexual. I didn't "choose" to be attracted to women, I was born that way. I find the thought of gay male sex to be rather unattractive, I couldn't possibly "choose" to find males attractive. Perhaps those who claim that it is a "choice", unlike myself and the vast majority of straight people, had to "choose" to not be attracted to members of the same sex, against their natural desires.

I ALWAYS have to wonder about YOU. Behavior beyond seeking food, shelter and warmth is LEARNED; regardless, the manner in which it is learned.

GunnyL said:
I think your argument that it is not a choice is fallacious.

So where are we NOW? IF there was conclusive evidence/proof either way, this wouldn't be an argument, would it?

And you wanna talk about fallacious arguments!

"None of the above" would default to "normal;" which, equates to straight. Our ability to reason aside, we are animals. What is the biological function of animals in regard to sex? Procreation -- perpetuation of the species.

How does oral sex lead to pro-creation?

This requires one male and one female. Animals who cannot or are unable to perform their bilogical reproductive function die, and their malfunction dies with them.

Huh? WTF are you talking about? There are plenty of sterile people, men and women, who otherwise lead long lives. Are you nuts?

GunnyL said:
I ALWAYS have to wonder about YOU. Behavior beyond seeking food, shelter and warmth is LEARNED; regardless, the manner in which it is learned.
Taking a crap is learned behavior?
You have some seriously flawed understandings of human biology!

Forum List

Back