Home improvement horror stories?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nt250, Sep 9, 2006.

1. nt250

nt250 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Anyone got any?

I have a few from my renovation job.

I paid $7000 for a tile floor I didn't really want, but was under pressure to put in.

They didn't clean off the grout before it dried and they never came back.

It looks like shit.

I've got more.

Someone make me feel better and post your horror stories about getting screwed by incompetent home improvement contractors.

2. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Sue 'em!

Washing machine installer effs up the connection. We come down a few days later, and the basement's flooded. It was a mini-Katrina. The "consolation" is that the idiot left behind his DeWal powerdriver, which he never came back to retrieve, even after we left it out on the porch for him.

3. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    My bathroom that remains unfinished to this day. I think the landlady paid her sons to renovate about 2 yrs ago. The only thing left is paint. She swears they painted it. She's blind, so how the fuck would she know? Yes, Kathianne, the saga continues.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    OMG! I thought that was done a year ago?

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I don't really have any horror stories, but since I'm an electrician, let me know if you need some more.:dev3:

6. BaronVonBigmeat

BaronVonBigmeat Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +160
    $7000 for a tile job? Holy crap, I'm in the wrong business. How many square feet was that? Was it granite or something? If worst comes to worst, you can get a bottle of grout haze remover...but what a pain.

My horror story: I put in a laminate floor and then out of nowhere developed a very pronounced foundation problem. Protip: when you buy a house with foundation work already done, even by a reputable company with a lifetime warranty, don't assume that the foundation is actually fixed for good. For starters, they have to come back out and raise the front of the house a good 1/2" ~ 3/4". But that's not a big deal. The problem is, the wall dividing the garage and kitchen never got any piers. Think about how much weight a car puts down right next to that wall. An engineer at my office says if a foundation company gives a bid that doesn't reinforce a wall like this, don't even talk to them.

So now it's going to be $1300 or so, which is really not bad, but the whole kitchen floor is sunk in. 3 piers will fix the garage wall and that's fine and dandy, but that still leaves the sunken kitchen floor. Ideally you want to just put piers under structural walls, and not under unsupported floors. The only other options are urethane foam injection ($2500) or pumping cement underneath. But then the soil might expand and actually make the floor bulge up. Sigh.

Then there's the bathroom tub surround I started, ugh. It's going to be awesome, but every little thing that can go wrong, has. I've just realized that the old tub faucet was fine before but now with backerboard and tiles, I have to customize the length of the little tubes that cover the valves.

How about a 40 amp A/C unit being fed by an 80 foot run of 10-2? Ugh.

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    The length is not a factor (in your case). Running 40 amps off 10s IS. Minimum, you need 8s. If your AC is actually pulling 40 amps (they usually don't except for startup) you have a fire hazard. If it isn't pulling enough amps for startup, your unit doesn't work.

8. nt250

nt250 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I was pretty desperate. The floor wasn't part of my deal with the contractor but the crew boss, Lenny, told me I really needed to have the floor in before the cabinets and everything else. My house is on a slab, and the floor was so uneven, that Lenny said he could deal with it by shimming it all, but that it would look like shit. I also decided on granite counters, which meant the cabinets were going to be pretty much permanent once the counters were installed. So I had to do the floor.

I have two of the dumbest dogs on planet so that really affected my choice of floors. I couldn't go with hardwood because the dogs would have ruined them. I looked into vinyl but the guy who came out said that it would cost me just as much to have the floor leveled for vinyl as it would to do tile. I didn't want tile, but it's the only floor that made sense with the dogs.

It's a big room, but they definately screwed me on the price. It did take two guys three days with a jackhammer to get up the old kitchen tile, and I have no idea how many bags of leveling compound to get the floor level. In hindsight, I don't know why they didn't just put the leveling compound over the existing tile. The floor was that far out of level that should have worked.

The job started out good, but I think he got another job and wanted to move on, so after he did the grout he told me go buy a mop. I thought he was joking. He never came back.

Thanks for the tip about grout haze remover. I'll look into that.

9. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,125
    Well holy crap Gunny, I'm a lisenced electrician in the state of Wisconsin... :rock:

I've done construction and home building and home maintenance for years, so I don't have any horror stories either. If I needed something done in one of my homes, I did it myself. Saved major cash, and I knew it was done right.

10. nt250

nt250 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +72
    As an electrician, what's your opinion about this:

I had my bathroom re-done this past spring. It came out really great. But the electrician put back all the old electrical outlets. The old, dirty, electric plug and light switch.

I didn't notice it until the day after I paid the contractor and I have since hired another electrican to replace them. I know the contractor didn't do it himself because I was home when the electrician came. He seemed like a nice older man. I had a broken light bulb in one of my outside fixtures, and there was something wrong with one of the can lights in my kitchen, and I paid him $50 to fix those.

I was just really suprised that he would do that.