Home-Grown Terror

This is sad. What a terrible way to live, frightened all the time. Just sad.

Absolutely hilarious. We do not live in fear. And to suggest that because the Police work to prevent terrorism means that is amazing. What the hell are they supposed to do? Pretend like there is no threat? I hope your police are not operating on that premise.

Gotta love the little slogans..."Jihad USA".

I still chuckle over the term "homegrown terrorist". The last time the term "homegrown" was even used in some kind of context, I was hitting a bong. Way to resurrect a term that had almost no relevance to ANYTHING, and use it for propaganda.

Yeah, their little slogans are funny and used for propoganda...I'll agree to that. But if I "lost" any liberty/freedom due to this, I didn't know it, and don't care. If tapping phones help prevent a terrorist attack, go for it.

That has nothing to do with it at all. But thanks for playing.

The point being made earlier that if the 19 hijackers had been arrest on September 10th is valid. We would have idiots claiming they did nothing wrong.

That's not the point. I made the point that America is a frightened nation. I stand by that point.

My reference to the conviction rate was meant to draw attention to the willingness of authorities in the US to apparently - and I use that word advisedly - apparently lock up and put on trial people accused of various preparatory acts of terrorism on what seems to be the most flimsiest of evidence.

Elsewhere in USMB there is much discussion about rights as outlined in the 2nd Amendment but other rights seem to be able to be trampled without a murmur of protest.

I'm not condemning reasonable law enforcement/investigation efforts, I'm asking if what is going on now is reasonable.

You made a reference to the police in my country.

We played the same game in a couple of matters, locked up a couple of idiots and due to the draconian anti-terror laws of the previous parliament, they got convictions and orders against individuals who arguably shouldn't have been convicted or had orders against them.

We completely (well the Australian Federal Police and our internal security people) cocked up one case - http://tinyurl.com/2ol5lm - with such stupidity that I'm surprised the AFP Commissioner wasn't asked to resign.

People here are indeed calling for the Commissioner to be sacked, we're not very happy with his close accommodation of the previous government's demands and our courts are looking very carefully at terrorism cases put before them, as is their job of course.

I trust that answers your objection and your questions.

The feds censored private mail during WWII.

Who cares? There's a timeline on their ability to do it. When there's no threat, it will stop.

I assume that anybody can be watching me at any time, it's a fact of life in an age of satellites and internet. You don't like it, disconnect your phones, throw away your computer and stop using debit cards.

Yeah, their little slogans are funny and used for propoganda...I'll agree to that. But if I "lost" any liberty/freedom due to this, I didn't know it, and don't care. If tapping phones help prevent a terrorist attack, go for it.

You're the only one you care about in regards to personal liberty in this country?

For every person that hasn't noticed the erosion of liberties, there are thousands who HAVE. It's about what this country's original purpose was, and making sure it STAYS like that.

It's the whole "I don't care, it doesn't affect ME" attitude that is killing this country. George Washington didn't cross the Delaware for HIMSELF, he crossed it for his country and his countrymen. I think he and the rest of the founding fathers deserve at least the same selflessness from US, no?

You're the only one you care about in regards to personal liberty in this country?

For every person that hasn't noticed the erosion of liberties, there are thousands who HAVE. It's about what this country's original purpose was, and making sure it STAYS like that.

It's the whole "I don't care, it doesn't affect ME" attitude that is killing this country. George Washington didn't cross the Delaware for HIMSELF, he crossed it for his country and his countrymen. I think he and the rest of the founding fathers deserve at least the same selflessness from US, no?

Oh come on....are you serious???

First, the government has been tapping phones for a long time, long before you and I were born. So this isn't a new thing. As much as I'd like to be an idealist, I can't.

The people whose phones are being tapped obviously deserve it...and if the government ever taps my phone, I'll never know it (neither will the rest of the U.S. population) You act as thought he government is taking away their right to talk on the phone.

Don't give me that George Washington crossing the delaware crap, I'm just as patriotic as the next guy...you don't have to wage battle with your government to be patriotic. If you claim that we're giving up our liberties, then I'm caring for the entire U.S. by not caring that the government taps phones in order to save hundreds and possibly thousands of lives.

Have you known anyone personally that's had their phone tapped?? probably not. Even if it was tapped, you'd still not know anyone because they wouldn't know it themselves. No one is losing any liberties...maybe privacy to a small degree, but not liberty. Me and anyone else can do anything we want to do...unless you decide to yell bomb on an airplane, or decide to deposit large amounts of illegal cash in your bank account. People that are loosing their liberties are the guys in the article that were planning terror attacks.

In time of war, we lose privileges. It has ALWAYS been the way of things.

During the World War we had to ration, and there were patrols at night making sure everybody had their windows blacked out. There were curfews. There were interment camps. Our mail was read and redacted.

Get over it. Focus on the problem...eliminating terrorists and those who fund and train them, and you won't have to worry about those 1-900 calls being monitored.

Oh come on....are you serious???

First, the government has been tapping phones for a long time, long before you and I were born. So this isn't a new thing. As much as I'd like to be an idealist, I can't.

The people whose phones are being tapped obviously deserve it...and if the government ever taps my phone, I'll never know it (neither will the rest of the U.S. population) You act as thought he government is taking away their right to talk on the phone.

Don't give me that George Washington crossing the delaware crap, I'm just as patriotic as the next guy...you don't have to wage battle with your government to be patriotic. If you claim that we're giving up our liberties, then I'm caring for the entire U.S. by not caring that the government taps phones in order to save hundreds and possibly thousands of lives.

Have you known anyone personally that's had their phone tapped?? probably not. Even if it was tapped, you'd still not know anyone because they wouldn't know it themselves. No one is losing any liberties...maybe privacy to a small degree, but not liberty. Me and anyone else can do anything we want to do...unless you decide to yell bomb on an airplane, or decide to deposit large amounts of illegal cash in your bank account. People that are loosing their liberties are the guys in the article that were planning terror attacks.

I'll get back to this later, I'm on my way out.

AllieBaba said:
In time of war, we lose privileges. It has ALWAYS been the way of things.

So everyone loses privileges over a war that was decided and planned by a few people in high places. This is a constitutional republic, and that's not the way things work. The purpose of government is to PROTECT your liberty, not take it away.

You haven't studied a whole lot of history have you? I don't even think you've read the Dec. of Ind. or the Constitution.

That's right, genius. The country is at war. Not just one or two people. We're all at risk, not just the pres you hate. We live in a republic, not an anarchist state.

This is sad. What a terrible way to live, frightened all the time. Just sad.

Ah ... the literalist voice speaks. "Careful" twisted to "frightened."

What's sad is suffering through a scorpion sting because you didn't shake out your shoes before putting them on. But hey, no one can call you frightened.:eusa_whistle:

That's not the point. I made the point that America is a frightened nation. I stand by that point.

My reference to the conviction rate was meant to draw attention to the willingness of authorities in the US to apparently - and I use that word advisedly - apparently lock up and put on trial people accused of various preparatory acts of terrorism on what seems to be the most flimsiest of evidence.

Elsewhere in USMB there is much discussion about rights as outlined in the 2nd Amendment but other rights seem to be able to be trampled without a murmur of protest.

I'm not condemning reasonable law enforcement/investigation efforts, I'm asking if what is going on now is reasonable.

You made a reference to the police in my country.

We played the same game in a couple of matters, locked up a couple of idiots and due to the draconian anti-terror laws of the previous parliament, they got convictions and orders against individuals who arguably shouldn't have been convicted or had orders against them.

We completely (well the Australian Federal Police and our internal security people) cocked up one case - http://tinyurl.com/2ol5lm - with such stupidity that I'm surprised the AFP Commissioner wasn't asked to resign.

People here are indeed calling for the Commissioner to be sacked, we're not very happy with his close accommodation of the previous government's demands and our courts are looking very carefully at terrorism cases put before them, as is their job of course.

I trust that answers your objection and your questions.

Your point would be wrong. When you know there is a danger presented as evidenced by ongoing threats and past violence, it is sheer foolishness to disregard and not be prepared to meet such a threat being carried out.

Do you lock your door at night? You poor, frightened soul ....

Forum List

Back