Holding a Gun Makes You Think Others Are Too, New Research Shows

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
Holding a Gun Makes You Think Others Are Too, New Research Shows

ScienceDaily (Mar. 21, 2012) — Wielding a gun increases a person's bias to see guns in the hands of others, new research from the University of Notre Dame shows.

Notre Dame Associate Professor of Psychology James Brockmole, who specializes in human cognition and how the visual world guides behavior, together with a colleague from Purdue University, conducted the study, which will appear in an upcoming issue of the Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance.

In five experiments, subjects were shown multiple images of people on a computer screen and determined whether the person was holding a gun or a neutral object such as a soda can or cell phone. Subjects did this while holding either a toy gun or a neutral object such as a foam ball.

The researchers varied the situation in each experiment -- such as having the people in the images sometimes wear ski masks, changing the race of the person in the image or changing the reaction subjects were to have when they perceived the person in the image to hold a gun. Regardless of the situation the observers found themselves in, the study showed that responding with a gun biased observers to report "gun present" more than did responding with a ball. Thus, by virtue of affording the subject the opportunity to use a gun, he or she was more likely to classify objects in a scene as a gun and, as a result, to engage in threat-induced behavior, such as raising a firearm to shoot.

"Beliefs, expectations and emotions can all influence an observer's ability to detect and to categorize objects as guns," Brockmole says. "Now we know that a person's ability to act in certain ways can bias their recognition of objects as well, and in dramatic ways. It seems that people have a hard time separating their thoughts about what they perceive and their thoughts about how they can or should act."

The researchers showed that the ability to act is a key factor in the effects by showing that simply letting observers see a nearby gun did not influence their behavior; holding and using the gun was important.

More at the link.

Oh boy a whole FIVE subjects were used in the testing. Phil Zimbardo is cringing.

Guns are scary, and only Democratic Party government officials should be allowed to carry them.
Yes - the Catholic Notre Dame University is a Democratic Party front group.

My god, you are one stupid motherfucker.

Ol' Daveboy, totally dependable for dumb fuck statements.
It's incredible, isn't it? :lol:

It's a psychological study, that doesn't mention gun control, or Democrats. But this stupid shit only sees things through his anti-Democrat, 'Anybody But Obama' wingnut glasses.

His emotional bitterness would be funny if he wasn't so pathetic.

Why do you use scare quotes for 'study'?

Because it was conducted by people that wanted a certain outcome and got it.
Like most 'studies'.
:eusa_boohoo:
Who would that be?

And what is your evidence?

Shall I just post the pic of the crickets now, and save the trouble of doing it later when you fail?

The fact their sample size is so small. It is very easy to select for a certain personality trait with such a small sample group. My wife is a PhD psychologist (and is a measurement expert) and in her expert opinion the sample size is so small as to be nearly useless.

For a study of this type she recommends at least 200 individuals to get a reasonable sample size. Obviously more would be even better.

When I 'hold' my gun(s), I actually do see others holding guns. That's due to the fact that I and the others are at the range. When I and my wife are legally carrying, we are not holding and I cannot recall ever 'seeing' any 'others' holding guns. Dumb study.

It's a psychological study, that doesn't mention gun control, or Democrats. But this stupid shit only sees things through his anti-Democrat, 'Anybody But Obama' wingnut glasses.

Once more for the drooling idiot leftists:

I was speaking of drooling idiot leftists. Like you.

And yet he claims to NOT be a partisan hack :)

Forum List

Back