High Speed Driver's License

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
As I drove the thousand-plus miles from my vacation in southern Florida to home in Pennsylvania I pondered how much gooder it would be if I could only drive my car a bit faster. I mean, think about it. My car can easily go over 100mph; the tires can easily handle it; I am a skilled and experienced driver with a spotless driving record...why can't I drive faster?

Here is what I propose:

Create a multi-state super-driver's license that authorizes daytime speeds up to 100mph on interstate highways. To get this license, one would need,

• Proof of enhanced insurance (say, $1,000,000 CSL liability),
  • Minimum 25 years old; maximum 70,
  • An enhanced safety inspection for your car,
  • pass a written and on-road driver's test,
  • minimum two years clean driving record.
If any of those goes away (any moving violation, traffic accident, new car, etc), the license is either revoked or temporarily suspended pending a new inspection, or whatever. A high-speed accident where the Super Driver is at fault, would result in a permanent revocation of the Super license.

Special "Road Rules" would be published for high-speed driving. Some kind of an obvious sign would be necessary to alert police that this car is being driven by a Super Driver (maybe a green light on the rear deck or something). Fraudulent representation of a super license would be a serious violation - on top of any speeding violation that results in being pulled over.

Of course, a STATE would have to take the initiative to create these licenses and other states would have to voluntarily sign on (just like with E-Z Pass). Insurance companies would adjust their rates for Super Drivers, and might want to be notified in advance of interstate driving plans, but it would be a quantifiable risk involving higher rates. Fair to everyone.

One could argue that the higher-speed cars would be a danger to everyone else on the road, but anyone who has driven on the Autostrada or Autobahn knows that it is a manageable problem. In fact, it forces other drivers to stay alert. Besides, if you have a Super license, you are going to be very protective of it, and confine your high-speed driving to places where it is relatively safe.

Why not?

As I drove the thousand-plus miles from my vacation in southern Florida to home in Pennsylvania I pondered how much gooder it would be if I could only drive my car a bit faster. I mean, think about it. My car can easily go over 100mph; the tires can easily handle it; I am a skilled and experienced driver with a spotless driving record...why can't I drive faster?

Here is what I propose:

Create a multi-state super-driver's license that authorizes daytime speeds up to 100mph on interstate highways. To get this license, one would need,

If any of those goes away (any moving violation, traffic accident, new car, etc), the license is either revoked or temporarily suspended pending a new inspection, or whatever. A high-speed accident where the Super Driver is at fault, would result in a permanent revocation of the Super license.

Special "Road Rules" would be published for high-speed driving. Some kind of an obvious sign would be necessary to alert police that this car is being driven by a Super Driver (maybe a green light on the rear deck or something). Fraudulent representation of a super license would be a serious violation - on top of any speeding violation that results in being pulled over.

Of course, a STATE would have to take the initiative to create these licenses and other states would have to voluntarily sign on (just like with E-Z Pass). Insurance companies would adjust their rates for Super Drivers, and might want to be notified in advance of interstate driving plans, but it would be a quantifiable risk involving higher rates. Fair to everyone.

One could argue that the higher-speed cars would be a danger to everyone else on the road, but anyone who has driven on the Autostrada or Autobahn knows that it is a manageable problem. In fact, it forces other drivers to stay alert. Besides, if you have a Super license, you are going to be very protective of it, and confine your high-speed driving to places where it is relatively safe.

Why not?

There are three factors in the safe operating speed. The vehicle, the driver and the road. Very few interstates in this country are built to safely operate any vehicle more than 10% above the posted speed limit. In order to meet this idea, we would have to have new roads built that would handle the speed. We hardly repair the roads, let alone build a whole new system.

Why in the world would you want to do that to your car?

I can't understand this mentality of driving as if it's the most horrible act in the world that one can't wait to end. I never drive for speed, ever. I drive for efficiency. And I hear the nimrods pushing their rides to do things like pass me going uphill, and I hear their engine screaming with the stress. Then I get to my destination after say 750 miles and I find I'm not even tired because I haven't put the same stress on death-gripping my steering wheel and putting all my efforts into slaloming around people like me.

Then they're at the mechanic wondering why their engine is so worn out after 80,000 miles -- and blaming the car.

That shit will kill you. Get off the highway, shunpike, and take time to smell the damn flowers. There's a lot more to life than trying to see how soon you can get out of the car. You'll be a lot richer for it, and you'll have something more significant to remember than the fact that this time you got there 13 minutes sooner.

Last edited:

Here is what I propose:

Why not?

There are three factors in the safe operating speed. The vehicle, the driver and the road. Very few interstates in this country are built to safely operate any vehicle more than 10% above the posted speed limit. In order to meet this idea, we would have to have new roads built that would handle the speed. We hardly repair the roads, let alone build a whole new system.

You'd need something else that would probably be more of a challenge -- a nation of drivers who understand what "passing lane" means. As it is now I think you have to go to Europe for that.

I drove (rather than flew) because I wanted to bring a lot of clothing and equipment (mainly bicycles and golf equipment). It was a two week vacation. For one week, I definitely would have flown.

I disagree about the roads. Some states are not so good about maintaining them, but for the most part I saw nothing that would be a danger at high speed. Besides, most of the imperfections are in the right-hand lane (mainly caused by trucks). The passing lanes are in considerably better shape.

And mentioning driving in Europe again, having someone come up behind you at 100+ mph is an experience that will wake you up in a hurry. One quickly learns to avoid the passing lane, except when passing. Germany is where things are most dangerous, in my opinion. Tractors are subject to a national limit of 100kph, so you often have cars going 110mph coming up on tractors going 61mph. Scared the shit out of me (not driving at the time). God help you if one tractor is passing another.

I drove (rather than flew) because I wanted to bring a lot of clothing and equipment (mainly bicycles and golf equipment). It was a two week vacation. For one week, I definitely would have flown.

I disagree about the roads. Some states are not so good about maintaining them, but for the most part I saw nothing that would be a danger at high speed. Besides, most of the imperfections are in the right-hand lane (mainly caused by trucks). The passing lanes are in considerably better shape.

And mentioning driving in Europe again, having someone come up behind you at 100+ mph is an experience that will wake you up in a hurry. One quickly learns to avoid the passing lane, except when passing. Germany is where things are most dangerous, in my opinion. Tractors are subject to a national limit of 100kph, so you often have cars going 110mph coming up on tractors going 61mph. Scared the shit out of me (not driving at the time). God help you if one tractor is passing another.

It isn't about maintenance. It is about how the roadway is designed.

I can't understand this mentality of driving as if it's the most horrible act in the world that one can't wait to end. I never drive for speed, ever. I drive for efficiency. And I hear the nimrods pushing their rides to do things like pass me going uphill, and I hear their engine screaming with the stress. Then I get to my destination after say 750 miles and I find I'm not even tired because I haven't put the same stress on death-gripping my steering wheel and putting all my efforts into slaloming around people like me.

Then they're at the mechanic wondering why their engine is so worn out after 80,000 miles -- and blaming the car.

That shit will kill you. Get off the highway, shunpike, and take time to smell the damn flowers. There's a lot more to life than trying to see how soon you can get out of the car. You'll be a lot richer for it, and you'll have something more significant to remember than the fact that this time you got there 13 minutes sooner.
What kind of crap do you drive.......

Crap that still drives, that's what.

Last car I sold, and I hated to do it, had well over 400,000 miles on it and was still giving me a regular 40 mpg. It was getting old and doing stuff like the wipers would turn on at random, lights burning out, etc. I understand it's still on the road at age 22, no doubt over a half million. It was a Saturn, TwinCam.

In the lexicon of Algore's First Universal Church of Global Warming driving at that speed would warrant execution without trial. As they see it polluting their air in that fashion equates to attempted genocide!

I gu

Last car I sold, and I hated to do it, had well over 400,000 miles on it and was still giving me a regular 40 mpg. It was getting old and doing stuff like the wipers would turn on at random, lights burning out, etc. I understand it's still on the road at age 22, no doubt over a half million. It was a Saturn, TwinCam.
Guess I'd be whiteknuckling on dry pavement in that too. If its not a pleasure get off the road and take the bus. I always try to travel as fast as possible on the long haul, fall in behind the leader stay far enough back to slow it he gets hit and cruise. Never had a prob.

I gu

Guess I'd be whiteknuckling on dry pavement in that too. If its not a pleasure get off the road and take the bus. I always try to travel as fast as possible on the long haul, fall in behind the leader stay far enough back to slow it he gets hit and cruise. Never had a prob.

But what's the point?

Here is what I propose:

Why not?

Having driven California to Florida once upon a time, I worked out how increases in speed effect time to travel. Basicly a doubling of your speed is required to cut your travel time in half. 60mph is 1 mile/minute. But to go 1 mile in 30 seconds you'd have to go 120mph. So if for the sake of illustration you could go 1000 miles nonstop at any velocity:

1000 miles trip at 60mph = 17 hours (rounding up)
120mph= 8.5 hours

So you're only gaining 8.5 hours over the entire journey even doubling your speed. And since a more realistic time includes stopping to refuel, eat, maybe once to sleep, stretch your legs, over the couple days say the halving of your time spent actually driving isn't going to be very significant. Especially since the higher speed means more stops for fuel burning it less efficiently.

Go the speed limit and enjoy the journey, not the arrival at the destination. :)

Many modern cars have rather extreme overdrive ratios in top gear. With enhanced aerodynamics I think that wear & tear and efficiency penalty would be tolerable.

Forum List

Back